Statins reduce risk of cancer says Daily Mail

MAMA2X

HI ALL, I READ THAT ARTICLE AND THE DAY AFTER WHEN I WENT TO THE GP HE PUT ME ON THEM. I HAD TOLD HIM THAT I WAS DOING LCHF AND HE WAS CONCERNED AS MY COLESTEROL WAS UP ABOVE WHAT THEY SAY IS OK. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHY SO MANY PEOPLE SEEM TO BE AGAINST STATINS. I AM FELING OK AND DEFO BETTER FOR REDUCING MY CARBS ON THE DIET.

Cowboyjim

The DM hah hah... mind you there seem to be a super statin in the pipeline if this is anything to go by

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/06/business/new-drugs-for-lipids-set-off-race.html?_r=0

Dr. Evan A. Stein of the Metabolic and Atherosclerosis Research Center in Cincinnati, said that about 10 to 20 percent of patients could not tolerate statins at all, or at least could not tolerate doses high enough to lower cholesterol sufficiently. Their main alternative now is Merck’s Zetia, which reduces cholesterol about 18 percent.

Dr. Stein, who is a consultant to Amgen, presented the results on Monday of a trial of Amgen’s drug, AMG 145, in such patients.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ARGHHHHH why are they so obsessed with lowering cholesterol?????

Cowboyjim

The DM hah hah... mind you there seems to be a super statin in the pipeline if this is anything to go by

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/06/business/new-drugs-for-lipids-set-off-race.html?_r=0

Dr. Evan A. Stein of the Metabolic and Atherosclerosis Research Center in Cincinnati, said that about 10 to 20 percent of patients could not tolerate statins at all, or at least could not tolerate doses high enough to lower cholesterol sufficiently. Their main alternative now is Merck’s Zetia, which reduces cholesterol about 18 percent.

Dr. Stein, who is a consultant to Amgen, presented the results on Monday of a trial of Amgen’s drug, AMG 145, in such patients.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
please tell me when the "Lipid Hypothesis" will finally be dead and buried? There's plenty of evidence that it is completely wrong, yet they keep persisting with this myth that cholesterol is bad for you...

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Everything I've read says Statins cause cancer - in animals at the eq. of a human prescription dose. A very large study of Chinese diabetics shows the lower your LDL gets under 108, the higher risk for cancer. A bell shaped curve - too low causes cancer, too high causes cancer. So I'm saying Statins cause cancer and lowering your LDL too low causes cancer. The studies also mention people over 50 need more cholesterol to prevent cancer and cholesterol protects every cell in your body from cancer. Having high blood cholesterol doesn't cause heart disease, only the very small VLDL particles that are oxidized, can penetrate the vascular walls and start an inflammatory process.

Your body makes 80% of it's own cholesterol. If you don't have enough your body just makes more. That's why doctors are quick to prescribe a Statin, they know a low fat diet can even raise cholesterol because you'll eat more carbs. which will raise insulin, triglycerides, LDL and VLDL cholesterol. Over 50% of heart attacks now are in those with normal or optimal cholesterol. Yes, the cholesterol theory of heart disease is fading into the sunset. Wheat is the number 1 cause of heart disease because it raises insulin the most. High insulin is the number 1 cause of death and injury and most all chronic diseases. Wheat is the number 1 cause of high insulin. Wheat is the main culprit in raising insulin, triglycerides, LDL and VLDL cholesterol. High insulin causes atherosclerosis directly on the arteries to the heart, this is also a know fact. Why don't doctors check insulin levels? This is a good question for your diabetes healthcare folks. Heading toward type 2 diabetes could be stopped 15, 20, maybe even 30 years before you actually develop it, if only doctors had your insulin levels checked. Spot checking fasting glucose levels on an annual physical obviously isn't working.

Statins have never shown to decrease mortality, there is a reason for this. People are dying of other causes - namely cancer. Wheat is one of the 5 top foods that cause cancer, maybe the most carcenogenic of all foods. It for sure is the top cause of type 2 diabetes - glycemic load of sugar=59 glycemic load of wheat flour=72. Wheat is the highest glycemic food we eat on a regular basis and we eat an average of about a half pound a day, per person. Stop eating wheat and when your insulin drops, you'll lose about a pound a day, and your blood sugar will probably return to normal and your cholesterol will probably improve as well.

Cowboyjim

Wheat? The stuff of life? Also our nemesis? Wow that goes against the grain.... :D Which is why no one listens...
The burger... corn fed cattle between corn bread itself... and starchy sticks to go?!

Re insulin... have lately wondered about metformin... sooo... it helps increase insulin levels... but my insulin is impaired... I already have enough thanks no more please because it increases the viscosity of my blood and you know what that does... :eek: 8)

Cowboyjim

Wheat? The stuff of life? Also our nemesis? Wow that goes against the grain.... :D Which is why no one listens...
The burger... corn fed cattle between corn bread itself... and starchy sticks to go?!

Re insulin... have lately wondered about metformin... sooo... it helps increase insulin levels... but my insulin is impaired... I already have enough thanks no more please because it increases the viscosity of my blood and you know what that does... :eek: 8)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Cowboyjim said:

As far as I know, Cowboyjim, metformin doesn't help increase insulin levels - it reduces insulin resistance in muscle cells so that the insulin we do produce is more effective in lowering blood glucose. It helps me control my appetite. It also gives some protection against CVD and strokes, as well as some types of cancer (recent research), so I'd rather take met. than statins.

If there's more to it than that, please let me know!

Viv 8)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
viviennem said:
As far as I know, Cowboyjim, metformin doesn't help increase insulin levels - it reduces insulin resistance in muscle cells so that the insulin we do produce is more effective in lowering blood glucose. It helps me control my appetite. It also gives some protection against CVD and strokes, as well as some types of cancer (recent research), so I'd rather take met. than statins.

If there's more to it than that, please let me know!

Viv 8)

It reduces the amount of glucose produced by the liver :thumbup:
I'm pretty sure it doesn't increase insulin levels Jim...

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
the usual statin support stuff !
The pharmaceutical companies gravy train is coming to a halt !
Intelligent people are coming to their senses and ignoring the ignorant medical profession who only are interested in lining their own pockets !

Wake up and smell the starbucks !

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yup... then next thing to tackle is big agro to stop certain pesticides etc. being used. Pesticides that are now being proven to cause genetic damage to people which results in insulin resistance and/or damage to the glucose processing pathways in the mitochondria and is being proven to cause the diabetes "epidemic"

go do some digging on Jenny Ruhl's site in her new book Diet 101

PS, the evidence is also mounting that statins themselves can cause people to become diabetic...

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Cowboyjim said:
I am an idiot sometimes... always read the label! :lol:

And I should always read what Ive written, as I wrote "I'm pretty sure it does increase insulin levels Jim..." when I meant to write doesn't. Now edited :lol: