fulfilling Snacks / Feeling hungry very quickly

essexpaul

Hi everyone

Newly diagnosed Type 2, so really coming to terms with it all. My main problem l would say is that l just love chocolate, sweets, cakes and biscuits and when l say love them l mean alot each night so l am making a very hard effort in cutting down. I was only formally diagnosed on Monday of this week, had 2 appointments already with the diabetic nurse at the surgery. Since Tuesday l have gone from 3 sugars to 1 in tea etc and had very minimum sweet things etc

I also have high cholesterol and have just been prescribed statins

My main issue appears to be feeling hungry quite quickly after eating. For example last night had boiled potatoes, peas, carrots, broccoli and sausages (cooked in the oven) within 2.5 hours l am hungry, to the extent feeling sick, if that makes sense. Today l had porridge at 08:30am with added sultanas instead of sugar by 11:30am l am hungry so had 2 slices of toast 50/50 bread, by 2pm today l was again hungry so the only filling food l could find was tinned ravioli (on toast).

Thing is l suffer from bad IBS, had tests years ago for celiac, am clear of that. I cannot/ do not eat fruit or salad, or any spicey foods, only veg l eat is potatoes, cauli, broccoli, peas and carrots. So alot of the healthy foods this site speaks about is not really an option for me.

Sorry to go on....does anyone know of some form of snacks that l could eat to beat the hungry, normally l would dive into the biscuits you see, so really want to avoid doing that.

Many thanks

hallii

Hello Paul, you cannot afford to eat any significant amounts of sugar, by significant I mean refined sugar in any form, no sugar in tea no sugar in anything. Sugars in some fruits are OK for some of us.

Many of the foods you mention, boiled potatoes, sultanas, porridge, toast (bread),ravioli, and of course biscuits chocolate and so on cannot be consumed by most of us except in small quantities.

As regards what you can eat I have no idea, I just know that you will have problems if you eat the things I mention.

I am afraid there is no easy answer to hunger, only that we have to learn to control it, there are snacks that we can eat like nuts, cheese, greek yoghurt and berries, raw carrots, in fact any raw vegetables, high protein like meat, or if veggie like me the alternatives.

If you stick with such a diet for some months you will find that your craving for carbs will ease, you hunger will subside to managable levels and your general health will improve. It's not easy but most of us have done it, and the rewards are lower BGs and avoiding the nasty complications.

Before I was diagnosed I loved chocolates, chips, sweets, Oh! just about everything that was not good for me. The roadside Cafe was my second home. Now I simply cannot face eating such things, I might eat 12 chips on rare occasions but no sugar (I now find the sweet taste far to strong) only 3 new potatoes a day and bread that is home made to be low carbs.

Hopefully you can see that it is largely a matter of mind over matter, you have to be determined and change your eating habits for life.
As I said, it's not easy, but think about the alternatives.

You don't have to rush, it will take time, maybe a month or three, it's better to change slowly and for good than try to do it all at once and fail.

Do plenty of research, you will begin to understand a lot more about T2 if you do.

Shortly another post will give you a long bit of reading, read it through, it is good advice.

H

Reactions: 2 people

Virgo123

Hi Paul,

I agree with Hallii. Its not easy but achievable. You will find that after a 2 or 3 weeks you will stop craving those carbs and anything like sugar or choc will lose its appeal. You will find it tooooo sweet, after a while. Just give it a bit of time.

I used to be a chocoholic, but now cant stand it. try berries with greek yoghurt or cream for a snack.
I find that if I eat meat & veggies, its filling and I will snack on a small apple 9g, or berries, peach, all Low carb fruit.

It is hard and takes real adjustment, but you would not want the bad effects of diabetes if you continue with all the sweet stuff.
The taste buds DO adjust and often very quickly too.

You will get some real good advice in a short while.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum. It's not enough to cut down on sweet foods, you need to cut down on starchy ones as well. The 2 together make up carbohydrates, and we have to reduce our total carbohydrates. The good news is that when you do, it affects your appetite and you won't feel so hungry after a short time of eating this way. It may also greatly improve your IBS as it did mine.
Many of us eat as described on this website http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf.

Reactions: lorraine95

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
Give up the carbs and for hungries between meals try some full fat cream

you can either follow the low fat diet or the low carb and you cannot try to follow both at the same time

i have a heaped spoon of full fat cream as a snack and it works out to about 96 calories but it carries you to your next meal better than anything else that would be about the same number of calories

my meals are about 200 calories and my snacks are 100 so that keeps me under 900 calories a day

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/fat-not-protein.html

The traditional Inuit (Eskimo) diet is a no-carb diet. It is notable that the Inuit diet described by Drs Vilhjalmur Stefansson and Hugh Sinclair in the 1950s is very similar in regard to percentages of fat/protein/carb intake to the experimental low-carb diets used in recent obesity studies.[xvi] The Inuit diet was comprised of seal, whale, salmon, and a very limited amount of berries and the partially digested contents of animals' stomachs. On this diet, blood cholesterol levels were very high as were free fatty acids, but ? and this in much more important ? triglycerides were low.[xvii] [xviii] It is interesting to note that the Inuit were of great interest to research scientists because they had practically none of the diseases we suffer, including obesity, coronary heart disease and diabetes mellitus.[xix] [xx]

essexpaul

Hi
Thank you for both your warm welcome to the forum and your comments/advice etc. Some good food for thought (pardon the pun) :D

I have realised that perhaps l am rushing ahead thinking the changes will be almost overnight, which of course they won't. I am having a good read of this forum. I have also been referred to the DESMOND program so hopefully with both the useful info here and from the program l can slowly learn how to make appropriate changes.

Thanks again

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Eat meals regularly and make them filling by adding lots of low carb veggies. For xample, I just had 2 eggs scrambled with a couple of cauliflower florets for lunch. I LOVE cauliflower and this lunch was filling and pretty much zero carb.
I do still allow myself a single piece of dark chocolate each evening. Chocolate isn't as bad as some confectionary, because the fat content slows the absorption of the sugar. Dark chocolate is pretty low in sugar anyway. Just read the nutrition label on the chocolate of your choice
Hana

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Hi,

I had a very similar problem when I was diagonsed. All of a sudden I constantly craved chocolate! Also I often found after I had been to my Dads for a large plate full for dinner, I'd be looking for something to eat once I'd got home. I couldn't understand what was wrong with me. Until I realised carbs are addictive, they make you even more hungry.

I have overcome this with research on here I decided to try the low carb approach. I went cold turkey so to speak, no potatos, bread, pasta or rice. I still have a small amount of 74% cocoa choc. For snacks I grab a piece of cheese or a hard boiled egg or a piece of cold meat like ham or peperami. I also discovered the low carb recipe section, there is so much great stuff in there. One thing I often snack on if I need something sweet is sugarfree jelly sweets. Make up a pack of sugar free jelly with half pint of boiling water, add 2 packets of gelatine, stir till dissolved then pour into moulds, I use silicon ice cube moulds. leave to set in the fridge overnight then store in the fridge for picking at.

Good luck with whatever route you decide to take.

eggplant

Hi Paul

As most have said, it is best to try to keep carb intake under control but you can do that by reducing carbs as well as low carb. Everyone, as others have said, generally tries to find their own level. Some can tolerate more carbs than others. I work on reduced carbs (around 140g a day) and allow myself maybe 40g (total) for snacks. I tend to aim for a snack total of <15g carbs.

Some lower carb snacks I have are:

1 ryvita with soft cream cheese and nuts/seeds sprinkled on top.
2 rich tea fingers
Raksen's matzo crackers with cheddar cheese
Berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries) with natural set yoghurt
Nuts (serving of 15-20g) - good for increasing HDL cholesterol too.
1 slice Burgen toast with thinly spread no added sugar strawberry jam (Duerrs)

Hope this helps. Test and see. Best advice s to try things out and 'eat to your meter'.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Snack nibbles I use ...
Boiled egg [sliced ] , wafer thin ham slices, prawns , cottage cheese, cheese slices, celery, cherry tomatoes,
cucumber, peppers, grated carrot, pineapple rings sliced up, mix n match salady things! etc...

Using a few huge lettuce leafs - try making lettuce parcels with 3-4 of these.
Stuff them with all your favourite salady things add a little dressing if you prefer, roll them up and enjoy :thumbup:

Great for lunchtimes as quick and easy to make or have a couple at suppertime !
Ideal as an teatime lite bite too :)

Anna.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
My best standby snacks are Jacobs Savoury Crackers @ 2.5g carb each topped with cottage cheese and pineapple or peanut butter or pate or cheese spread. I can have 2 and call it a snack or 4-6 and call it a meal. :)

petmarwat

Hi all Ive just discovered a super home made cracker recipe Whole recipe is 6 grams of carbs you need flax flour or linseed flour (same thing) I got mine from Holland & Barret £4.99 for 500gr
1 cup Flax flour
1/2 cup water
1 Tsp salt
Grated parmesan cheese
Mix all ingredients together & spread between greased greaseproof paper on a baking tray, roll out as thin as a normal cracker would be. Put in hot oven for something between 15-20 min. till crisp. Remove from oven and mark out the size you want the crackers to be. Leave to cool. Ive also sprinkled garlic salt & black pepper before baking for a different flavour. Enjoy

petmarwat

Microwave bread or base for pitza less than ! gram of carb for whole recipe
2 Tbsp Flax flour
1 Egg
1/2 Tsp baking powder
Pinch salt
Drop of water
Mix with a fork shape on microwaveable plate or similar, zap in microwave for 2-3 min
Top with toppings of your choice
Serves 1 for a main meal with salad or 2 for a snack

Lozzybabyw

I have been diagnosed as borderline diabetic type 2. I have just completed my tests/screenings for the first time. I don't get anything to check my levels & have only to be going by how I feel to know how things are for me. My doctor said on a routine appointment that she went on to a course. If you lose a stone then you will no longer be diabetic! I am told diet & exercise are the key. I have a few health issues which led me to diagnosis, though am also being told I'm not bad enough for it to be my diabetes! I'm nearly 13 stone & I am blindly trying to work out what foods.. I've been told yes to carbs & by someone else no! I have not a clue! All I know is type 2 Diabetes is seen as creating the issue yourself & meaning you need to lose weight & you can be cured! Tick the boxes & cross the t's as it were & then you've beaten diabetes it seems!

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Lozzybabyw said:
I have been diagnosed as borderline diabetic type 2. I have just completed my tests/screenings for the first time. I don't get anything to check my levels & have only to be going by how I feel to know how things are for me. My doctor said on a routine appointment that she went on to a course. If you lose a stone then you will no longer be diabetic! I am told diet & exercise are the key. I have a few health issues which led me to diagnosis, though am also being told I'm not bad enough for it to be my diabetes! I'm nearly 13 stone & I am blindly trying to work out what foods.. I've been told yes to carbs & by someone else no! I have not a clue! All I know is type 2 Diabetes is seen as creating the issue yourself & meaning you need to lose weight & you can be cured! Tick the boxes & cross the t's as it were & then you've beaten diabetes it seems!

Firstly, if you've been told you're borderline, then you have a wonderful opportunity to do something about your diet NOW.

For most diabetics I think it's fair to say that we have a problem processing carbs because they turn to sugar and we don't metabolise that sugar properly. It's not just about avoiding cakes and biscuits and sugar in our tea, it's about the other carbs like bread, potatoes, pasta, rice - all of which I've totally cut out of my diet, with amazing results. Some people can tolerate some carbs in their diet, others find their blood sugar rising if, for example they eat potatoes ... I'm one of those people.

The two websites I've personally found most helpful are -

http://www.dietdoctor.com/LCHF

http://www.bloodsugar101.com/

I received a diagnosis and some tablets from my GP and a book called 'Diabetes' from the Nurse but I was NEVER given ANY dietary advice whatsoever apart from the book and I had no clue what to do, what to eat or where to go for knowledge. So I logged on and Googled 'diabetes forums' and found this. And I really feel the information I gained in a few weeks on here has saved my life and I'm pretty sure I know more about diabetes than my health carers.

If you're borderline, then you're basically on the cusp. That doesn't mean your overall health is not being affected by just a slight rise in blood sugar levels. I was borderline for years so got no treatment or advice and I had lots of illnesses that are slowly but surely becoming less and less troublesome as I've now lowered my BS to acceptable levels. I had no clue my asthma, allergies, gastric probs and chronic fatigue were diabetes related but I now KNOW they were because they've improved greatly.

Check those two websites out and good luck! :)

susanmanley

I really struggled for the first month and took time to sort out a good diet for me. Once you get it right it is just part of your life. If I slip away now i actually feel the change in my body whether it is just blotting, tiredness or just generally yukky
I am luck that I can tolerate some carbs so, for instance, when I went out with 'the ladies' last night for christmas dinner I was able to have a very enjoyable meal without making a fuss

for your info i had cambert and salad [cut off most of the breadcrumbs], trout with one new potato and a range of veg followed by ice cream with a bit of lemon tart. Then hot water [i don't drink tea because I don't like it and only the occasional coffee] and some dark chocolate'

brunodog25

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
HOSPITALS AND CERTAIN STAFF DOCS NBOT BEEN STRAIGHT WITH ME PREFER TRUTH THEN GET IT OVER AND DONE WITH
HI PAUL SORRY DELAY IN REPLYING BUT CATCHING UP ON THINGS AS ON RESPITE LAST WEEK. WHAT I CAN SUGGEST IS SEEING A DIETICIAN EITHER AT THE DIABETIC CLINICV OR ONE AT YOUR GP'S MAYBE BE QUICKER APPT WISE TO SEE I WAS SUPRISED WHEN THE WIFE WENT FOR ME AS I WAS ON RESPITE AS SHE DOES ALL THE COOKING AND SHOPPING AND AT TIME WHEN I HIT A BAD DAY FEEDING AS WELL . THEY ARE NOT THE OGERS LIKE THE USED TO BE WELL THE ONE THE WIFE SAW WASN'T AND THE ONE THING THE WIFE SUGGESTS IS BE TOTALLY HONEST WITH WHAT AND WHEN YOU EAT IT. GOOD LUCK AND HOPE ALL TURNS OUT WELL TO HELP YOUR DIASBETES