Retinopathy

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hellooo. Just got home to a letter saying background retinopathy in eyes:-( peed off big time. My BG control is fantastic, I run marathons for fun & as fit as a flee. Blood pressure high but doctors refuse to acknowledge it at 165/80. Feeling gutted.

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Totally understand how gutted you must be feeling, especially when you do so much to keep fit and well. Hopefully they will be able to treat the background retinopathy quickly and successfully and give you some help in preventing it returning.

Type 2 seems to be a rollercoaster of highs and lows - and it's soul destroying when in spite of your best efforts things go wrong.

Hope they address your BP - that needs to be looked at - you should ask them again.

Hope you do something nice tonight and take your mind off it!

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Thanks Cathy. I don't think anything can be done to be honest. I think i dropped off the GP's radar anyway. I self test, my last hba1c was 5.2 & he told me I was obsessed about my health & was not going to help with my blood pressure. I'm up in the air at the moment & just chucked the sweet potato that I'd got with salmon off the plate as it must be the carb spikes doing this.xx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
theblokefromstoke said:
Hellooo. Just got home to a letter saying background retinopathy in eyes:-( peed off big time. My BG control is fantastic, I run marathons for fun & as fit as a flee. Blood pressure high but doctors refuse to acknowledge it at 165/80. Feeling gutted.

It can be the case where people get the first signs of diabetic retinopathy and it doesn't progress, hopefully from here-on they will monitor your eyes closely to identify any changes.

With diabetic retinopathy it's important to control your bg, bp and cholesterol levels, my own Opthamologist and gp preferred my bp to be below 130/70 ( the recommendation is 130/80) which is why they put me on a low dose of Ramipril, your bp at 165/80 isn't good and it would be best that you go back and mention the retinopathy to your gp, if he/she is in doubt then point them to the following website:

http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/easdec/

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You sound like you look after yourself and are otherwise fit and in control of your diabetes. Did the letter say that it would need treatment or not? For the past two years they've said I have it, but that it does not need treatment, so I'm hoping that it stays like that.

londoncat8

I was diagnosed with the same 2 years ago and was told there was no treatment or action necessary. Next year I get another eye exam - same story, no development either way, just background retinopathy. So, I assume, it might not be serious until the word 'background' changes to something else in my next letter:)

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm convinced blood pressure is an issue here & going to book an appointment with my GP and appeal to his better judgement & help me with my blood pressure. I started running 2 years ago in desperation for hard excercise to bring the BP down after the first refusal & it has a bit it was 180/90. In running over 50 miles a week hard fast pace but still suffering these issues. Off now in the cold & dark lol. I don't know how else I can do this without medication.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
I don't know what I would do without this forum. I had this same letter on Saturday after my recent eye photo at the hospital.

My blood pressure is a bit high and my dsn is fitting me with a bp monitor for 24hrs, starting tomorrow so I hope that taking the eye result into consideration, they will be able to help get it down a bit. Mind you a letter like that is bound to raise one's bp!

SWFC John

theblokefromstoke said:

I had the same result as you mate, then the next year there was nothing out of the ordinary. I dont want to build your hopes up but try not to worry too much :)

McMoggy

Just back from the optho, got lasered last year and things improved for about 18 months. This time, even though Hba1c's are great and BP 125/70 another vessel has ballooned at the centre of the macula, therefore if they zap it I go blind so it's just being left until it eventually makes me blind.
:thumbdown: