Beer !

room04a

Hello all, I just joined today as I have been T2 for the last 12 months....

Problem is I drink a phenomenal amount of beer , both by choice and because I can't stop. ( Not an Alcoholic as I don't attend meetings :roll: :roll: :thumbup: )

So i have been prescribed Metformin, as my glucose levels are getting too high and I am loosing sensation/feel in my feet (and research has shown a risk of 'Lactic Acid contraindications ) so i decided not to take the Metformin as I am afraid they will cause a -ve reaction with the amount of beer i drink.

My solids diet is sound. Lots of soluble fiber, low GI fruit and veg. Protein from fish and white meat. Carbs are predominantly beans and pulses.

So don't get on your high horses and **** me off as a lost cause and ignorant.... do you have experience of being there and do you have any advice ..... what do you suggest ???? Should I trade off the risks of mixing Metformin and beer against losing a foot ?

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on Metformin for approx 15 years and I haven't been tee-total during that time. I don't drink beer but I do drink cider, but only in moderation (well I have been known to have the naughty binge on a works night out lol). Do you drink to excess all the time or do you stay within the recommended guidelines?

I think you'd be doing your body more harm by not taking the Metformin - I mean it's not just losing a foot, there are so many other complications with Type II Diabetes :-(

I think you seriously need to talk to your GP about it, even if it's just to put your mind at rest.

By the way - no soap box or slagging off here - you live your life how you feel and nobody else can live it for you - we can't all be :angel:

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Room04a :)

Welcome to the Forum,

So don't get on your high horses and **** me off as a lost cause and ignorant

You give the impression you have already told yourself off for being fond of a few to many beers.

Over a year ago I was very fond of beer, I stopped as I was not happy with my self.

Nobody likes being told to cut down on booze, Nobody is on a high horse, but you are being quite clever by telling us off before we tell you off.

You use a very strong word " phenomenal" That shows that you must face the music and change your life style and reduce the amount beer you drink.

It is your choice "leg less" and "foot loose" or moderate controller.

Best of health.

Roy. :) (been there seen it done it)

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its up to you what you choose to do.

I am not sure what your question is really. I cant say drink and ignore your doctor. I cant say ditch the metformin. I cant really help you make choices.

But I can suggest that if, in your words, you cant stop drinking, maybe discuss that with a Health Care Professional? I am not sure what your criteria for being an Alcoholic is, but maybe some of the techniques used for alcoholics might help you if you feel your drinking is not your choice, but something you cant stop doing?

But this forum is not for judging people, its for helping and supporting.

KennyS

room04a said:
what do you suggest ???? Should I trade off the risks of mixing Metformin and beer against losing a foot ?

Their is an easy answer to such a question. After growing up with someone who asked that very question pitting drink against a number of life's choices and siding with the beer on a regular basis, the best I can say is.... Let your conscience be your guide. I can guarantee that getting home from the pub minus a foot will add a whole new meaning to the word 'stagger'....

lucylocket61 said:
But this forum is not for judging people, its for helping and supporting.

I don't know about that Lucy... sometimes to help and support someone you have to be judgemental......

Kenny

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hey room04a. Tut tut tut :lol: . I think the question is do you prefer beer or feet? As you pointed out m8 I can whine on about the dangers of this and that but that would just be making you suck eggs. MMMM BEEEEEEER I loved it really loved it the same as you not an alcoholic but just really liked it, however in the end alcohol made my body create an auotimmune response and destroyed nearly all my beta cells in my pancreas, the symptom being massive pain and ending up in hospital and now being type 1 diabetic from not being diabetic at all. Dont get me wrong its not what ur drinking its how much and I believe you know that, all I can do is tell you my experience and because of that I have quit forever which is sad for me. The thing you need to weigh up m8 is what you consider more important and only you can decide. Dont cut out ur beer just cut down before it is too late, it does hurt that you would even consider putting beer over your own health and I hope you decide for the health option.

Best wishes

Simon aka Cobra3164

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
I won't be judgemental Room, you live your life your way :wink: , it would be too close to pots and kettles and all that for me. I like beer and wine and cider and and .... but, what I have done is cut down on is the frequency and the quantity. Its the only game in town on-going for better T2 control, boring but true :roll: As I understand it from some advice on here, Metformin and beer can mix in moderation and dependant on the the advancement of your T2 condition.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Hello room04a, Like you I love alcohol ! I think that the main problem with beer is calories and carbs. So I now take vodka and soda by choice. I used to be an active member of CAMRA and have tried most English and European brews, lovely lovely BEER !
I don't hold with the usual NHS drivel ' guidelines'. When it starts to hurt I leave it for a day or two.The spirit has a lowering effect on BG for me, last night I overdid it and my morning BG was 3.7 , far too low for me, I felt like S**t. You would think that after 45 years on the bottle I'd know when enough is enough !

Having a mega Vodka and soda as we speak !

Well cheers buddy

Mine's a guinness

Reactions: 2 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Superchip

Blimey, Do you make fuel for buses as you probably can't drive.

As you say enough is enough and you would have been a better person to have stayed with CAMRA.

I am sure vodka will do your stomach in.

You must have a good story to tell regarding your change of heart.(forgive the pun). because something is not adding up.

Cheers Roy. :)

room04a

I drink about eight pints per night, every night. Bad innit ! and have done for the last 3 years. Was self employed, had a heart attack when i was 48 yrs old , lost the business. yada yada......

So now, I have a proper job... reasonably well paid, but canny stressful.

I eat well... as I said i limit my diet to approx 1700 cals a day using " My Fitness Pal" app. and it is a sound healthy diet . e.g between 40 and 60% protein, 20 fat 20 carbs. That is not factoring in the beer though, so its all a comfort as I lie to myself.

I read that alcohol and metformin can cause a very serious reaction ( sometimes fatal ) I dont want to discuss this with my GP as it will go on my medical records and could invalidate any cover i have on insurance.

It is a dilemma. :? :? :shh:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is not a dilemma. Its a very clear choice...

how do you eventually want to die?
How sick do you want to get soon and how soon do you want to get too sick to work?

Its your choice what you do and how you live your life.

But its not a dilemma.

and from the way you word your posts, you know the answers. You know the problems, and you know the decisions hou have to make.

How can I help you? what do you need?

a pint of average beer is 200 cals and 20g of carbs. So really you are doubling your calories a day to 3600, and adding 160g of carbs to whatever you are already drinking and eating.

Face pain, look the facts hard in the eyes....take a deep breath.......and we can support you in making healthy changes if that is what you want.

But you already know you cant go on as you are and stay healthy, dont you?

How about dropping 1 pint a day, for a week, and then seeing how you feel and if you can cope with it?

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Room04a

8 pints a night, is that in your local pub.or at home.

You have already blown any insurance cover by highlighting your alcohol problem.

Use your common sense and gradually cut down.

I would guess that your are drinking more than you say.

Best get help from your GP.

Roy. :)

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
izzzi - I do drive mate, just leave a day or so clear before, I don't have to drive very often. Been done for DD 16 months about 7 years ago, no wish to repeat that episode. Been retired for 10 years now, so driving is only for pleasure. We've got 4 cars in the family so getting a lift down the boozer is not a problem ! Puns no problem, I say that booze is keeping me going and sane. Liver function tests at Papworth are normal, as is everything else ! Although with the dreaded metformin, when I remember to take it, does give rise to an inordinate amuont of faffy woof woofs ! Cheers mate !

room04a - BLIMEY ! A gallon a night, you deserve a medal and free booze from the breweries for what is left of your life ! A valiant effort young Sire !
Recently went to a festival and managed 4 pints over 4 hours in halves, I just couldn't take the quantity ( I'm 62 ). Vodka I can easily shift a bottle in one night BUT by crikey the next day I have ( as the germans say ) the hammers in the head !

Time will tell my friends, I am yet again raising a glass to all the gallant ( and gallon ! ) people on here.

P.S Sainsbury are doing a litre of Russian Imperial for £13 !

I think that i SHALL PITCH MY TENT NEXT TO THAT AISLE !!!!!!

God Bless the Duchess !...........................Roy

Reactions: 2 people

hophead

I drink and enjoy real ale in moderation (about 12 pints a week) and counter the additional carbs by reducing my intake of processed foods such as bread and breakfast cereals. It works for me as I am losing weight and my BS levels are no longer spiking.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely excess alcohol is a form of uncontrollable suicide which the consumer cannot control.

So called alcoholics also defend their actions which makes it difficult to get them back to normalization.

Medication is or should be controlled.

I mean if Superchip was all there, you would have thought if "He" is from Suffolk his tent would be put up outside Green King which is a decent brewery if not the best in England.

I rest my case.

Roy the sober one, :)

Superchip

Dislikes
Cheap Whisky !
izzzi ! Brilliant reply !

To take your points....

What is EXCESS ? who determines the level, please don't resort to the so-called medical profession's trumped up view.

I am not a so called alcoholic, I LOVE the stuff, it's my choice ! not yours !

I AM normal in my book, I didn't get to 62 by not being responsible for my HEALTH, despite an unavoidable heart transplant 18 years ago.

I control my medication, NOT the local quack, who is just back from rehab !

I AM ALL THERE ! you b****r ! Greene King excellent choice, been round the brewery many times, I know the head brewer and have drunk many good christmas ales in the basement tap !

You should indeed rest your case, it may be heavy with arrogance.

Roy the fun one,

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Superchip

You decide what is excess alcohol to have, however you are quite young man and you may consider that a bottle of vodka each night is over the top.
When I was about your age I gave up alcohol completely.
( I am one of those persons that could not moderate drinking habits ).

I must admit I enjoy life much more than I used to.

Arrogance is a bit strong, because I have a lot of respect for your honesty.

I think my bug bear is you choosing cheap spirit in place of good beer. Also your opinion may not help weaker people.

Roy. :) The sad one that found a better way to live.( wish I was 62 again

bluenoselouie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too drink an excessive amount of lager and red wine, I would estimate 40 pints of lager and 3 bottles of wine per week. I am type 2 and take 2 x 500mg metformin twice daily. My BS levels are always in the normal range (last hba1c 5.9) and I suffer no ill effects. Why is that ?

KennyS

bluenoselouie said:
I too drink an excessive amount of lager and red wine, I would estimate 40 pints of lager and 3 bottles of wine per week. I am type 2 and take 2 x 500mg metformin twice daily. My BS levels are always in the normal range (last hba1c 5.9) and I suffer no ill effects. Why is that ?

Interesting comment. While not being judgemental about you or your life, I must say that you are in control of your diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol with pills and I would suggest that your 'control' is in-spite of your lifestyle choices, not because of them. By the way.... it took you some 50 years to realise diabetes, are you so sure that your lifestyle is bringing you no ill effects?

Kenny

bluenoselouie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
KennyS said:
bluenoselouie said:

Interesting comment. While not being judgemental about you or your life, I must say that you are in control of your diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol with pills and I would suggest that your 'control' is in-spite of your lifestyle choices, not because of them. By the way.... it took you some 50 years to realise diabetes, are you so sure that your lifestyle is bringing you no ill effects?

Kenny

Its probably not doing my liver any good Kenny, but what I'm saying it doesn't appear to raise or lower my BS outside the 'normal levels'