Does metformin mean no more drinking?

test_positive

I am recently diagnosed Type 2 and my doctor has prescribed me metformin. I read the leaflet and it says not to have alcohol while on this medication. As I expect to be on this for life this means no more alcohol. Ever again. :thumbdown:

I don't drink much. My wife and I have perhaps one (small) glass of wine per week. But we really enjoy it.

Does anyone have experience of this? Should I really stop drinking completely now I'm on metformin? The leaflet says "Alcohol may increase the risk of lactic acidosis especially if you have liver problems or if you are undernourished." I do not have liver problems and am not undernourished.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide!

Grazer

You will be fine with alcohol on metformin providing you're not a chronic heavy drinker or have existing liver disease. Lactic acidosis is EXTREMELY rare and occurs in combination with those two conditions. Metformin never stops me from enjoying my Rioja! Go and enjoy.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Good advice from sheepy above!..Incedently there's some good half price offers on Rioja at Tesco at the moment! :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I am on 3x500mg Metformin SR per day and drink about a glass of wine per day. Seems ok to me

test_positive

Thank you! :D
So good to hear. You never know with these leaflets how much of it is them trying to cover themselves. I am starting on 500mg and then moving to 3 x 500mg a day. I will watch out in case there are any problems with my moderate drinking.

I'm glad that diabetes won't take this pleasure away!

Thank you.

C

chris lowe

You may find that you feel a bit nauseous when you drink, but it's not a major problem. I drink very rarely now but do enjoy the odd tipple and put up with the queasiness for a couple of hours. as the previous posts say, as long as you'r not knocking back a couple of bottles of wine a night you'll be ok. As with most things in diabetes moderation is the key.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on 1000 mgs metformin 2x per day and the only problem I have had with the red wine that I drink is that the price keeps going up :lol:
CAROL

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
carty said:
I am on 1000 mgs metformin 2x per day and the only problem I have had with the red wine that I drink is that the price keeps going up :lol:
CAROL

+1 :clap: Me too! :lol: :wink: (except only 3 x 500mg Met).

Viv 8)

Grazer

carty said:
CAROL

I've just come back from our friends who live in France. Bought back 6 litres of my favourite merlot and cab sav at £1.20 a bottle, plus loads of rose and single malt whiskies. - quality stuff, but it is still cheap if you know where and what to look for! I play golf there and it almost pays for my green fees with the wine/whisky savings!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could you arrange a trip for all us in the Met takers drinkers society :D PLEASE
CAROL

Reactions: Mandi05

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
It's not just wine that's ok to drink with metformin! 2 weeks ago I went out on a friday and as it's summer I decided to have cider, I had something to do then thought "I need a drink" that was at 5pm I got home (somehow) at 3am. To be fair I don't think the metformin made things worse!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Search back through the Metformin discussions - plenty of information :)

As I have said (repeatedly)

Since I started taking Metformin I don't drink anymore
Then again I don't drink any less (boom boom).

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I suspect most of us on Metformin also drink alcohol to some extent. I've not come across anyone having problems, but I suggest common sense applies with the quantity and also whether you tolerate Metformin well anyway.

avdyke

Dislikes
Carbohydrates :-(
Me too:

2x2 Metformin daily.

The odd unit now and then has no impact. :D

The odd bottle of whisky is not so good :sick:

Andrew

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
People who think Diabetes is 'nothing much to worry about'
I'm on 1x 500 metformin per day. But I am sure to put slimline tonic in G&T. As others before me have said moderation is the key.

Cheers :thumbup:

test_positive

Thanks everyone. You've put my mind at rest.

And I love the way some turned it into a discussion about where to find the cheapest wine. Cheered me up no end :) Thank you!

Reactions: Mandi05

room04a

Posted elswhere, but this seems to be the font of Alcohol and metformin knowledge. What if you can't be moderate... I drink a LOT !!!

I also read the leaflet in the meds pack. I'm bricking it as far as taking Metformin is concerned. See my comments in BEER ! :crazy:

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Cheers room04a !

Been commenting on your BEER ! thread.

There does seem to be a lot of scared people about when it comes to alcohol.

Well, I do not agree, we have consumed alcohol for thousands of years, in the middle ages beer was extremely alcoholic and kept at bay many illnesses, especially in children. Now these days everybody just laps up what the so-called medical profession says and just takes the pills ! Idiots. People will always just do what they are told, even lemmings don't jump off of cliffs, they are TOLD what to do.

I am approaching my one / third bottle room04a, I guess that you are on your second pint ?

Claricus

I must be an exception then! I am on 2g Metformin and cannot drink.
I didn't drink much before I started Metformin, but now I get stomach cramps with less than a unit of alcohol.