lipoatrophy

Samc2212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi all
i have been diagnosed in clinic today with the above, they tell me it is now rare in diabetics due to the better produced insulins. i'm now wondering if there is anybody else out there that has this condition? if so what are your experiences? have you had any treatment for it, and has it worked? :roll:
would be nice to chat to others that are experiencing this

nataliegage

Hi Sam - guess what, I had to look this condition up, but after injecting since 1952, I have lots of indents on my upper thighs which I got in the early days, as it was only when I changed insulins that I was told, `oh the insulin you were on may have caused this or that'. In my day, insulin was a relatively new invention and I was just glad that it had been invented in time for me to be treated with it. What's a dent here or there. Must admit though, hated to be seen in a bathing costume where my legs were on show.

Please don't worry though. You'll learn to get used to odd things happening to you being a T1 diabetic. I am celebrating this month of living with diabetes for 60 years. Hard work and you have to do firstly `what you're told', but remember we are all individuals and you cannot always make comparisons. Just make sure you don't keep your blood sugars too low. Keep them on the higher end of the scale and you can stop having hypos basically they basically are the most debilitating and dangerous thing that can happen to you. Dont worry about lipoatrophy, it usually only happens near the injection site. Just try and change where you are injecting and I don't know how long you've been injecting, cos as they say, most of the new insulins dont have this effect.

Best of luck - I'm still pretty active, TG and I hope Pse G-d that you'll also celebrate many years of living with this condition, in good health.

NattyG :thumbup:

Smum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all
i have been diagnosed in clinic today with the above, they tell me it is now rare in diabetics due to the better produced insulins. i'm now wondering if there is anybody else out there that has this condition? if so what are your experiences? have you had any treatment for it, and has it worked? :roll:
would be nice to chat to others that are experiencing this

Smum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there I went on to get some information about lipoatrophy & you were the last person to post about this .Was looking for more information our sixteen year old daughter has developed two lipo indents on her tummy it's really destroying for her .Just wondering if you had surgery to correct this .shirley