Newcastle study- old guinea pig

minn

Re: Newcastle study- new guinea pig

Been mad busy and a bit under the weather (sinus,migraine,head full of cement), so not posting or always testing. The tests I have done are odd in places.
FBG 4.6
bed 5.5

FBG 5.3
bed 5.1

FBG6.8
bed 8.5

FBG6.8
bed 5.8

FBG5.4
bed 5.4

FBG 5.6
bed 5.4

FBG 5.6
breakfast 6.2
+ 2 hours 6.6
lunch (+4 hours) 8.0 - so greek yoghurt is a no no for me!

minn

Just a quick update- FBG and bedtime readings still 5s and low 6s; weight steady after that 1 lb gain, despite a few weekend lapses, and a bad back that has prevented me from doing any strenuous exercise. Still no meds. Hoping to keep the weight off til NY and then have another crack at losing some more.

pru

Hi - I see that you're using Slimfast shakes - have you looked to see how much sugar is in them - I thought that going on any diet and taking something that has a lot of sugar in it is self-defeating so I plumped for Atkins shakes, the ones you make up yourself not the ready-made ones. The ones you make yourself have a lot less sugar in than any others that I could find either in the shops or on the net. Good luck. :thumbup:

minn

Happy New Year to all!

Thanks Pru, but finished slimfast mid Nov- been eating sensibly up til Christmas- in fact I lost the 1lb I had put on and an additional one- but that's history. Fell off the wagon big style over the festive season- no big surprise there- busy Christmas and NY, lots of entertaining, a shedload of food and drink and very little exercise. Not getting on the scales til next week, when I will get back to the classes and all the rest, but I still fit in the smaller sizes I liberated from the back of the wardrobe at the end of November so it cant be that bad?? :wink: Went out for dinner on NYE and on the menu was a quotation along the lines of 'Most people worry about what they eat between Christmas and New Year, when they should really be worrying about what they eat between New Year and Christmas'. Think I'll take that as my motto, putting in God Friday and Easter where apporopriate!
Very busy January but am hoping to lose whatever (and there will undoubtedly be plenty to lose) I have put on in the festive season, and start in February where I left off- maybe using the NS diet, maybe trying to DIY- havent quite decided. I would really like to tailor a diet for myself, 800 cals per day, but doubt that I have the know how to get the balance of protein, carbs etc, or the imagination to make it work- though it would be hard to be more boring than 3 shakes a day!

minn

An update - a year after finishing the diet I had my annual check up today. I haven't had another go at the diet, and have put on about 10lb of the weight lost last year, but have been mostly eating sensibly, exercising moderately, still no meds for the diabetes.
My blood sugar, cholesterol and blood pressure are 'normal'. Resounding lack of comment from my GP on the diet and its results. Still intend to have another go at the diet in the new year.

rosy1969

Hi, I have just started the Newcastle diet but a little confused regarding the suggested meal plan. It was mentioned that I need 250 gm of vegetable and it can be cooked in many ways eg. stir fry. Does this mean I can use a little oil? Also, can I use salt in cooking or soup?

Thanks!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

There is a sticky thread that has a lot of links regarding the diet, including diet information, recipes and so on:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23135

Good luck with it!

rosy1969

Thanks Indy....I read them but no mention about my question on salt or oil. I have decided that some salt for seasoning and a little oil in cooking my vege portion should by ok.

rosy1969

I am little discouraged. My Fbg when I started was 9.2,day 2=9.4,day3=9.4. On day3, lunch +2=9.6!!! Is this diet not working for me???

minn

Sorry busy time of year. Three days in is very early - I wouldn't worry too much about the BS levels- if you look at my posts there were times when the BS were discouraging, but if you keep going it evens out over time. We're human beings not machines and so many things have a bearing on BS levels. Have you tried a bit more physical activity after meals? It helps some people though I never found it made much difference to me. My sister is type 1 and says that for her aerobic exercise sends her readings up, core strength exercise brings it right down. We're all different, it's a question of what works for you.
I didn't use fats or oils at all- on my reading of the study that was a no no- but I did use salt pepper herbs etc
Very best of luck with the rest of your diet- if you can make it work it makes a big difference.

rosy1969

Thank Minn for the encouragement. Now in day 12 of diet, FBG now in the low 6s since day 8 ! :D Yeah! Hope it keeps going down. I have not used oil at all for the vege. Although, I experience constipation now. Did you have such experience? Have not tried exercise, only physical activity after dinner is housework :-(

minn

No, no constipation, but I ate a lot of celery which has so much fibre you have to pick it out of your teeth! I'm not a gym rat myself, and according to,the newspapers housework does count! I did a lot of it on the diet- cant eat if you're elbow deep in soapy water. You're doing well, keep it up!

minn

Should rename this 'old guinea pig'.
Update 2 years on from my Newcastle diet. MOT today, weight and BS slightly up, nothing to write home about. Cholesterol BP etc all fine. So still ok 2 years on. Have had to give up the Zumba classes because my knees were giving out - replaced it on advice with swimming which is a lot easier on the joints. So still no meds and doing fine. Plan to have another go at the weight in Jan - no point at this time of year!

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

Thanks for the update.

It's always encouraging to know that the sacrifice of the Newcastle Diet is worth it.

I'd be interested in a summary of where you bloods and weight were before you started a few years ago to where they are today, now you have finished the diet. Are there any food you have permanently excluded?

Thanks again
Cara

minn

I've put 10lb back on of the 2st 8lb I lost on the diet. Can't remember the Drs reading , and anyway the way they measure it has changed- today's test result was 47 which is about right. My FB is usually around 5, whereas when I started the diet it was 9+. I haven't excluded any foods but I have cut the carbs midweek- tend to eat what I like at weekends, and be very strict Monday to Thursday. The weight gain is creeping up on me over holiday periods, so I plan to hit it hard after Christmas. I try and still drink 2 litres of water a day and I have a green tea habit which has hung over from the diet and which is reputed to help reduce BG.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thanks Minn

I had a break after several weeks of the Newcastle Diet and now I am on phase 2. I plan to break again for Christmas.

I'm feeling much better but still have the same amount of weight to lose again

Cara

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've put 10lb back on of the 2st 8lb I lost on the diet. Can't remember the Drs reading , and anyway the way they measure it has changed- today's test result was 47 which is about right. My FB is usually around 5, whereas when I started the diet it was 9+. I haven't excluded any foods but I have cut the carbs midweek- tend to eat what I like at weekends, and be very strict Monday to Thursday. The weight gain is creeping up on me over holiday periods, so I plan to hit it hard after Christmas. I try and still drink 2 litres of water a day and I have a green tea habit which has hung over from the diet and which is reputed to help reduce BG.

@minn I am curious as to how much exercise you are now putting into keeping in shape? Thanks..