I can`t believe the way some people abuse themselves !!!!

Topcat010867

I can`t believe the way that some people abuse themselves !!!!
The reason I say this is that there is a guy in work with me who was diagnosed T2 diabetic around the same time I was, over the past couple of weeks I have noticed him in the factory canteen and was absolutely horrified by his diet......on the days I saw him at breakfast his plate was pilled high with white toast, fried potatoes, fried eggs etc. At lunchtime I see him with burgers in white rolls and chips.....then to top it off today we had a fire alarm and I used the emergency exit that passes the smoking shelter, and there he was happily puffing away to his hearts content.
Now don`t get me wrong, we all make our decisions in life and he has made his, but being a fellow diabetic I know the effect this lifestyle will have on his long term health. I really don`t know if I should say something to him !!

Perhaps I notice his lifestyle more as I am actively trying (and having sucess) in keeping my diabetes under control. I read a statement on here not so long back that said "I don`t want to die blind with no feet" that really hit it home for me.

Right then time for me to climb down off my soapbox and eat my fish and veggies dinner.

Take care all and remember (this is becoming my catchphrase :D ) we are masters of our own destiny.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: I can`t believe the way some people abuse themselves !!!

Leave him to his own destiny - I doubt he'll thank you for trying to help.

stephiesut

Id just let him get on with it and not say anything.

Maybe he is in denial and needs something to happen before he will look after himself properly. A wake up call. Or maybe he genuinely doesn't care, or doesn't realise the harm the food he eats might do him. Not everyone gets very good advice when it comes to diabetes. Maybe with it being Christmas, if you are really concerned, you could buy him a diabetes cook book or something!

It can be really hard adjusting to diabetes, and maybe he just isn't there yet. But if he carries on with his current lifestyle I am sure he will get his wake up call soon enough!

Nada

Could be he hasn't been advised about the issues by his GP practice - I am amazed by the differences across local GPs and people I know with type 2. He may hhave had selective hearing when diagnosed.

Or he is in denial some folks ignore diagnosis of any condition and refuse to change lifestyle - depression can be a key factor too something we don't always spot either

There is little you can do - I have mentioned this forum to people without telling why I am suggesting they read it!!

And I have told them about the NHS education programme - you can book on it yourself no need to be referred by your GP

One chap i met who was devastated on diagnosis and refusing to change his old habits has embraced new options thanks to both above suggestions and the help of his wife - so family and friends attitudes affects feelings too.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

Many people are told to carry on eating as they were and take the medicine as prescribed. they are then told that they don't need to monitor themselves. When the Hba1c comes in high once a year, they are told the results are "OK".Also that T2 is progressive and there's nothing th3y can do about it.
It's no wonder they don't try
Hana

room04a

Thats a bit of a ****** approach.... why do you not want to offer advice. Is the dude violent or mental ? He may have a bad GP, or not be that 'bright' .... we all have strengths and weaknesses. Maybe he just doesn't understand his condition.

I'm a new boy. T2 and bloody angry that I have done this to myself. I would have been grateful of advice earlier .... :(

Topcat010867

Not sure why he is living like this but as mentioned in the responses it may be denial, depresion, lack of support or just not caring.
Since I was diagnosed I have really tried my best to look after myself, my wife has been extremely supportive of me and helped me more than I can say.

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Does he know that you have been diagnosed with Type II? Has he ever tried to speak to you about it?

As said above, some Type II diabetics do not get the right kind of advice/treatment. I have been so lucky this year to be working with a team of people towards a healthier me. However, my friend who was diagnosed just last year has had no help and her Dr told her not to worry about it, not to bother testing and just to have her bloods done every six months :x

Your wife sounds just like my hubby - he has been so supportive throughout the years and I feel luck that I can say I have that support - not everybody does.

Kerry-Michelle

Maybe speak to him in a general conversation.. Ask him how he's getting on with his diabetes and tell him about the things you do or did concerning type 2 and he might think to himself "oh I'm doing it wrong or maybe I should speak to my doctor" who knows it might help him that way??

Kerry xx

KennyS

We live in a society (speaking of the west in general) that encourages excesses by the producers of products, including pharmaceuticals and a medical system that removes the responsibility of self with a pill. I have had high blood pressure for 20 years, IBS for 10 and struggled with my HDL for ever and have had fasting blood sugar levels in the range of 'pre diabetes' for 4 of my previous years annual checkups.... Did I get any more counsel that 'you should loose a couple of pounds and eat whole grain bread?... no. The first time I ever saw or heard the word 'prediabetes' was after my diagnosis and not from a medical professional. It wasn't until I was told that I had finally arrived at an incurable condition that I finally focused my own mind and took control of the situation the best I could. If the person isn't disagreeable to talk to, as someone above said, tell him about your situation and tell him about this site and how it offers advice about this condition from people who actually live with it and possibly in a much more helpful way than his GP would. Beyond that... you can't save anyone other than yourself.

Kenny

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes

Hello all. The lesson of this being get professional advice ASAP stat. Ignore diagnosis at your slow and painful death, complacency and ignorance kills diabetics.

Simon aka Cobra3164

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians

We are all individuals and are all blessed with free will.

It's up to him how he lives his life and as someone above has already stated; I very much doubt he will thank you for "interfering".

Ignorance of the consequences of his actions is no excuse either. Like most things in life, it boils down to the "Pain, pleasure principle". Until his lifestyle choices becomes to much of a pain to him, he will continue to enjoy the pleasure of his diet, lifestyle, etc

What's right for you may not be right for him

SWFC John

The only eating advice I have had from my doctors surgery in 6 years is eat less sugarary foods and cut down on your bread.

suzie_girl

I agree the ad ice on the NHS may be to blame. That's about what I was told. My lovely bloke's granny is type 2, she's getting a little doddery now bless her. But they way she eats is RADICALLY different to me and shocks me. She was told to base her diet in carbs so she eats white toast for breakfast every day for example. I can't touch the stuff! She was never given a measuring meter until a recent short bout with one. She said she had pizza and measured and didn't underestand why it was through the roof! How do you say, because they gave you terrible advice and many of the things you do are wrong? So I tried to politely explain a bit but there's only so much you can do, and in all honesty she's got other issues and is in her late 80's so I really think, how to out this, I don't think there will be time for ill effects to really develop. (sadly but realistically as she's ace but no spring chicken).

I agree engage in conversation and talk about yourself, what you found works for you, how 'gosh I can't eat white bread'. But I have a type two friend who is registered blind and a type one who has lost a bunch of toes, and they drink heavily and monkey about. So with them I'm at the point I don't engage because clearly we have different thoughts in this. I think I don't want to wind up disabled for a doughnut, they think stuff it I'm going to die young eating doughnuts. And I love them both but I think that's stupid and I don't need to hear that so evade the subject and their food when I camp with them!

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter

sorry but i cannot stand people telling what i cant eat and drink, my life is my own if it kills me so what in any case diabetes does not rule my life i rule it
that said iv had the decease for 15 years stick to a normal diet like most normal people low fat sugar and carbs my 6 monthly check readings are 6.4 on insulin.and try to keep fit :D

Topcat010867

WOW what a statement "my life is my own if it kills me so what in any case diabetes does not rule my life i rule it" :shock:

Not sure if I have or anyone else would have an answer to that one, I`m sure a few would have an opinion on it though !!

However, you obviously are doing something right and I congratulate you on that, please continue what you are doing as it is working for you. :clap:

I still believe and stick by what I say that "We are masters of our own destiny"

Pastell

The NHS in Southampton are nothing short of brilliant, quite literally life savers. If someone chooses to go against medical advice so be it.

My son works for a Gov agency and they have another employee that brings his dog to work, in my sons own words "we all love the dog and his keeper" the truth is the dog's a guide dog and the owners completely blind due to Diabetes, he simply could not be bothered to follow simple guidelines, (his own words).

There's an old very old proverb, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink".

I love you all.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Pastell said:
The NHS in Southampton are nothing short of brilliant, quite literally life savers.

The NHS in Bristol ARE NOT.

How can they be so different? What is NHS Southampton doing that is different to Bristol? Maybe I should move there... :think:

Virgo123

Personally I think we only know what we know at any given time.
Most of us, when we know better, we try to do better.

Frankly, I would be friendly and say 'we share the same illness and I try to control mine by eating xyz... as the complications that can follow is horrendous' and name some.

I will not shove it down his throat, but I will sow a seed and be tactful. Maybe its all he needs for someone to be on 'his side'.

That's just me..

Nothing wrong in trying to help, a little.