Shaftesbury House, Diabetic Hostel, Rustington, Sussex

nataliegage

I was in 1958 placed in a Diabetic Hostal, it was run by The Church of England Children's Society and transfers were made through local Education Authorities for diabetics who the medical fraternity found hard to stabilise under Hospital conditions. I spent 2 years at this Hostel which was run by a Mr and Mrs Blake and I remember they had a daughter Christine and a son, whose name I cannot recall. There were 24 children at the Hostel and I had two particular friends, one was Janet Legge who was born in 1944 and Nova Lawrence who was born, I think in 1947 (bth thereabiuts)

I have visited Rustington but found nothing about Shaftesbury House and was wondering if anybody, maybe my old friends' children could let me know what happened to their mothers. Nova lived near Portsmouth and Janette lived in Lewes Sussex. This Forum can do remarkable things, so hopefully I can get some info about Shaftesbury House, the Blakes, Nova or Janet, or perhaps some of the old staff will remember me. My name when I was there was Natalie Black and I attended Worthing High School, as did Janet Legge. Nova went to school in Littlehampton.

Long time ago, but any news, good or bad would be appreciated.

I was taught how to do blood tests, diets, carbohydrate counting at this Hostel and although I did not appreciate it at the time, The knowledge I learned there has kept me alive. A bit old fashioned today but still of great relevance.

Thank you.

Natalie Gage (nee Black)

carophie04

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in Durrington, not far from Rustington, and I know that Shaftesbury Road (in which I assume maybe where the Shaftesbury House Diabetic Hostel may have been located) has undergone drastic changes since I moved here 33 years ago and there have been many new town houses, bungalows and flats built there now. I would therefore think that the actual Shaftesbury House no longer exists.

nataliegage

Thank you so much for the two posts I have so far received, and the website address, which I've just clicked into, but havn't yet read. I presume the Archives will be under Church of England Childrens Society Archives?

I'm actually in tears of happiness to recall my time spent there, because I owe Mrs Blake my life, which I didn't appreciate at the time. We dont at age 12 to 14. I actually planned the `great escape' from there with Janet Legge putting her on the train to Lewes not realising I would never see her again. I arrived back home in Liverpool to my mother's alarm and was immediately transferred back to Rustington, but was discharged and returned home 6 months later. In those days communications were bad and I just lost touch with so many people, but I want to say a big THANK YOU and no Thank you can be bigger because I owe my life to them.

I don't know whether places like Shaftesbury House still exist - I'd be interested to know. But my mother was ill and had no idea how to cope with her only child being diabetic - she did everything wrong. Is there help out there now for young diabetics?

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you, for answering my questions :D

NattyG