Keeping remote warm

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

Can anybody give me any advice?

I drive and I work outside in sessions of 4 hours.

Today and last week I have been unable to do blood tests on my accuchek remote control as it too cold for it to work.

I have tried keeping it in my 6 layers of clothes and also keeping it in the car.. But have not been able to keep it warm enough to work.

Has anybody any suggestions how to keep the remote warm and working.. I'm sure their must be somebody else with an accuchek pump that works outside?

Even today with my heater on in the car it took 40 minutes to warm it up so that it would test before I drove, which then caused me to lise an hours work and pay..

Then, in addition as I do physical work.. I need to be able to test whilst working... Again.. It wont test as its been too cold.. So I lost more time from my work and paypacket trying to warm it up...to work.

My next question is.. If my remote doesnt work in these temperatures.. Will my pump be working properly? It seems to as I wear my pump on my arm and that is under 3 layers of clothes ( long sleeve jumpers/fleece/tshirts x3 plus 3 vest toos without sleeves).

I thought about putting remote with a hot water bottle, but dont think the initial heat will do remote any good.. And it doesnt stay hot for 4 hours either.

Suggestions.. Help from someone that works outside would be appreciated..
Thnx DD

dowuchyalike

I've had this problem a few times when I've gone out without my pump remote/meter and just relied on the Aviva Nano that I keep in the dashboard of the car. It is a pain in the butt and there's no obvious solution to it. However, If you're outside for long periods with your regular pump meter, you could try some of those little gel-based hand warmers. They don't kick out a huge amount of heat but it is enough to stop this issue occurring and they're small enough to fit inside the carry case. You can pick them up for as little as a £1 each from places like B&M Bargains or Home Bargains, and at that price, you can afford to get a few and replace them throughout the day after each one has gone cold. At the end of the day you just stick them all in a pan to reactivate them and then you're good to go for the next day.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thats a good thought..How long would they last? I can be out for 8 hours sometimes..and no acess to indoors at all..

I had my aviva expert with me in glove department .. But that wouldnt work either!!

I was so cold myself last week it was horrible.. My levels went up whilst working.. Which is unusual and I actually wondered whether my pump was affected by the cold too.. But today I was okay when I finally managed to warm the remote up my levels were fine.

iHs

Sadly this is an all too common thing that happens to bg meters that are kept outside the home. I too used to keep a bg meter in my glove compartment only to find that in baking hot weather it wouldnt work and in freezing cold weather,... the same thing.. meter dead. What does work is getting the meters up to the correct temperature so in baking hot weather keep the meter under the car seat away from the sun and also put it in a thermos flask like Copepod said in one of her msgs on forums. Cold weather is easier to sort by putting meter close to the body... Mobile phone sock with the ability to hang over the neck and keep under tshirt close to body will be ok and if a very tiny bg meter is available like the Nano... shove it inside a bra or inside underwear. With a bit of thought things can work out ok....

Little Hotties which keep their heat for about 12hrs and dont need to be boiled up in saucepan first might be good idea if mobile phone sock doesnt appeal.... Carboot sales sell them also eBay....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Like the idea of little hotties.. More than sock..although can put hotties and remote in sock in bag altogether so should keep warmth in nicely.. Will try next week ... If the bad rain forecast for Friday then turns cold again.

Ebay here I come!!!

Thnx DDX