What type of diabetes do you have, and do you work?

What type of diabetes do you have, and do you work?

• Yes - Type 1

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • No - Type 1

Votes: 18 6.9%
  • Retired - Type 1

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Yes - Type 2

Votes: 106 40.8%
  • No - Type 2

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • Retired - Type 2

Votes: 33 12.7%
  • Yes - Other

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • No - Other

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Retired - Other

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hello everybody hope you are all well. And in answer to the question, What type of Diabetes do you have and do you work? I have Type 1 and I do work. I am a Market Trader, and I love it (not the Diabetes the work) lol Christine

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals.Bullies,Soaps.
I have type 2 + COPD and retired.Put my feet up at 65 and my job became available to a far younger person.

joycey55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bad manners, arrogant folk, road rage drivers, Pasta ,red wine.
I Have type 2 for the past two years, and i work voluntary 4 days a week as i am 61-i work harder than i did when paid.
I work in admin for a hospice, i am just on diet control and it is very hard due to the sweet tooth i had and still do.....
I feel exercise keeps my Ab1c under control and will do anything to stay off medication as i have heard such bad reports about metformin etc.....

hotlips

I've had diabetes nearly a year and I'm type 2 I'm finding it very hard to cope with the nurse not told me much I asked for some information she gave me an envelope with a get thing on what I can't eat as I don't eat much anyways breads to avoid as much veg I can eat meat & fish. to eat avoid rice pulse's avoid milk drink as much diet coke or water as I font drink tea coffee or milk I'm on metformin 500g 2a day only been to docs 3 times since fing out and to have bloods took otherwise I just phone up girl my meds not been told to go back I'm stuck on what to really due can anyone help me to loose weight and help me on what to eat as I'm not sure thanks

Loopylainie

Well, what a very simple question! I have had diabetics now for 46 years, well controlled-no side effects and lucky to be using a pump for the last 5 years. I don't work but that is because I now have cancer, totally unrelated. Anyone else with type 1 and cancer out there, love to exchange experiences on cancer treatment and effects on diabetes?

richardinglis

I have type 2.
I was diagnosed in 1999, 3 months after my father passed away. I was working shifts and looking after him whilst he slowly died of cancer. The doctor stated that it was most probably the cause of severe sleep deprivation and a massive amount of stress looking after my Dad for 6 months, who was at home.

although i have had a couple periods of serious illness (2 abscesses) I have been in the same job since diagnosed. I work shifts at a plastics factory, and yes its hard to control blood glucose levels working shift but if you put the effort in it is achievable.

@Hotlips, Information is the most difficult thing to come by now, not many practices have a diabetic nurse anymore. the main thing is to use the Internet, find out as much as you possible can about it, try different things, cutting stuff out, adding stuff in, never miss your medication and USE this forum.

Search for information on the glycemic index (GI Index) its a list of foods that keep you full for longer and breaks down more slowly in your system. for example if you were to eat 100gms of potato that almost instantly turns into energy or glucose, where as if you ate 100gms of brown pasta, this breaks down and is released as energy over a much longer period of time.

search the net for high, medium and low carb contents and use it to balance meals out, as a rule you can pretty much eat any vegetables but need to keep an eye on carbs like bread, potatoes, Pasta etc.

Its a very complex subject, not all things work the same for all of us because our metabolisms are all different.

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Type 1 for 15 years. I have always worked, I work full time and hope to continue to do so for a long time to come :)

hollymayb27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I work and im a bartender. I have type one diabetes but only diagnosed now for a month. Ive been able to work and maintain a somewhat normal structure even now with diabetes

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
I have type 1 diabetes and no longer work.
I was diagnosed age 8 in 1970 and worked right up until 2005. I was a lecturer in Graphics, Art and related subjects and really liked my job but had such severe hypos and stress related highs and I also became tired and ill generally.
I had been fairly well up until this stage and use to commute all over the place. I cannot work these days, I would still love to get out there and strut my stuff but my sight is damaged and other conditions make my diabetes very brittle. I still produce art work (with the help of a magnifier and lamp) and sell, so I now have the time to do this.

Tybir

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi....I have type 1 diabetes and at the moment i don't work. I've had diabetes for 22 yrs and my diabetes is a pain in the backside. I don't get any warning signs when i hypo which is a very dangerous thing as you all know. I've had numerous close calls because of low blood sugars and i'm Just thankful i'm still here to talk abt them. It's that time of nite again insulin and dinner spk soon :)

sparkster

i've been type 1 for 4 yrs and work as a fencing contractor, work is pretty physical and a very long day which has meant that pretty much from week 2 after diagnosis i havn't had to inject in the mornings or at lunchtime even though i'm eating quite alot of carbs, not sure whether or not this is a good thing! Hba1c's stable at 7!

I don't work due to back probs im type 2 and on lantus solo star, metformin twice a day plus glicacide does anyone know of an idiots guide to diabetic jargon or a good book coz I get so muddled with all many thanks

peter_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in the "Retired - Type 2" above. I'm one of the 10% or so who are not overweight, never smoked, used to drink 4 or 5 units per YEAR, cut down to zero now. Diagnosed 2 years ago, 65 next March. I have Coeliac disease, diagnosed 25 years ago, when nobody had heard of it, and to me the coeliac/diabetes T2 link is very clear. I do hate it when the papers and TV allude to "Type 2 Diabetes brought on by obesity and excessive drinking", and even MP/GPs saying it is my own fault. Fortunately my own GPs are not so silly. I also don't appreciate people on here who will rush to tell me that there is no link between T2 and coeliac disease. There is.

Mary.west51

I am a Type II diabetic and there is a family history
mother, brother, son. i was diagnosed about
years ago and progressed from tablet to insulin
over a few years. I spent my 1st year being very
angry about having to inject, I hated it. Every day
I was bruised, it was painful which made me even
more angry. Then one day (having moved to Spain),
I looked out at the beautiful blue sky and decided,
dont fight it, accept it!! From that day, I became
bruise free and have remained so ever since. I discovered this Forum and have been very interested
in people's experiences. There are things I have
read, of which I never knew about Diabetes, but one
common denominator is we all share a need to have
it under control. I am new to this type of communication
and it just feels welcoming to know how lots if
people share the same emotional and physical
feelings related to Diabetes. Thanks for this site and
thanks for so much insight.

aidanbertie

How you can decide how many peoples are voted?
I understand after I am voting. By the way I am working on diabetes I mean I am studying on diabetes. I collect all information related to diabetes.

C burns

Hi
I have type 1 and work full time within a children's nursery. I also hav 2 young children and start an evening course at university in feb