useing lantus and apidra insulin

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi all
i have been using insulin for the last 2 weeks now started on 18 units of lantus before bed and apidra 8 units pre meal. this has been increased over the 2 weeks to 30 units lantus and 20 units apidra, i have now noticed that iam getting a strange tingle in my mouth and tast after takeing the apidra. is this normal and if so how lonng will it last?????.

thanks

prwilson

I also take Lantus and Apidra, 12 and 10 units respectively and with a top of Apidra if necessary. I've not noticed a tingling like you say after taking the Apidra, however I do sometimes feel a tingling sensation in my mouth when my blood sugar becomes low. Could it be that you blood sugar is getting down to levels that you've not been used to for a while? As my blood sugar lowered when I started insulin it took some time for me to adapt to the sensations. I noticed that as I adapted to the situation I only noticed a tingling at progressively lower blood sugar levels.

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi
thanks for the info yes that may be the prob as bs as been very high for some time now 34/38 but its now down to 8/15

prwilson

See how it goes for a few weeks, if you're still worried the next time you see your doctor/diabetic nurse, then mention it to them. I expect your body will gradually adapt though.

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
been to doctors this evening with this tingaling and was told to get back in tuch with dbn at hospital as he thinks that the problem is with the lantis, rang them told to stop it and iam to go back to see them 10.30 in the morning. (hope thay stop all the insulin).

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
been to hospital yesterday and thay told me that this was a very uncomon side effect of the lantus. i was changed to levemir. used it last night and the tingaling has stoped to day. THANK YOU.