Retionpathy results advice needed

nathansmummy

Hi

New here so bear with me, i am 22 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child and had my 2nd eye screening last week the 1st at 7 weeks pregnant showed no changes.

The latest letter says i have slight early diabetic changes the letter says there is no cause for concern just now but im pretty upset.

What does this mean for me? Will it get worse?

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had background retinopathy for about 5 years - about half a dozen spots each time. Its got better as my control has improved. I've always been told its nothing to worry about, so I don't. I noticed that your hba1c is 5.7, you can't do much better than that.

nathansmummy

Thanks Sam i just upset as its the first time its been noticed and was fine 15 weeks ago and im 5 months pregnant so worried it will progress :( how did u find out how many spots you have? Im the 1st to admit pre pregnancy my control was horrible and i often had high bg but now i have gone from 11% over a year ago to 7.2% 15 weeks ago going down gradually to the 5.7% that was my latest 2 weeks ago (it gets checked every 4 weeks by my consultant while pregnant) how long did it take for yours to improve?

goji

Hi Nathansmummy

I had background retinopathy for a few year's worth of scans. But then about two years ago it disappeared. I think that it got slightly worse when I improved my control and then totally reversed. The last two appointments I've had, they said my eyes were totally normal!

I did read the following:

"A sudden improvement in control (HbA1c drop of 3%) will lead to a temporary rapid increase in progression of retinopathy: laser may be needed. Good control is important in the longer term, that is after about 2 years. When people who control their diabetes well will be better off after this period."
http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/easdec/back_di ... pathy.html

goji

nathansmummy said:
going down gradually to the 5.7% that was my latest 2 weeks ago (it gets checked every 4 weeks by my consultant while pregnant)

PS congrats on the 5.7% - that's a brilliant achievement!!

nathansmummy

Hi goji

Thanks and thats good to hear, it may very well be my improved control then as for good reasons they are very strict on us pregnant ladies.

If you dont mind me asking how long before urs improved? And did u ever need any treatment?

Also any taking lutein? Have read its good for your eye health.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi, as others have said I believe it is quite common to get some background retinopathy after a sudden drop in bg levels, I had it on my first scan after diagnosis after going from 12% to 5% in a matter of a month or so (I was put straight on insulin) but it had cleared by the next screening and all subsequent annual screenings have been clear, so try not to worry about it at least in the short term.

Wishing you a worry free pregnancy :thumbup:

nathansmummy

So i spoke to a screening person and she said i have 1 microaneursym in my right eye thats tiny n 1 in my left eye plus a spot in my left that she said that the spot looks to be resolving and that this may happen with the other 2 as well. Hopefully it will resolve after delivery though no guarentees obv. I'll be screened again in feb.

I just really hope it does resolve, easy for them to say dont worry but i still will.