Electronic Cigarette

seanie

Evening,

As a type 2 diabetic who smokes, I have been working hard to not only control sugars but also cut down/out smoking. Recently I have been having some good success by using an Electronic Cigarette. The manufacture suggests all flavours ranging from traditional tobacco (not real but simulated) through to cinammon, mint and cherry flavours are basically all the same constituent ingredients (but taste different). Here is a list of the ingredients of the 'vape' as they call it:-
- 1.6% is Nicotine
- 0.9% is Lactic Acid
- 91.2% is Medial/Food grade Propylene Glycol
- 4.5% is Food Alcohol
- 1.8 % Food Perfume

I assume the food perfume add the cinammon or mint or cherry or tobacco flavour?; not sure.

I am hoping that the above isnt going to up my sugar levels when inhaled as a vapour. is there any advice. The suggestion of cinammon and or cherry would be nice (rather than the basic tobacco flavour they do) but I really dont know if theres a downside for a diabetic. Has anyone researched Electronic Cigarettes and Diabetes?. Would love to keep of the smelly weeds and of course hopefully the electronic cigarettes over time.

Thoughts?

Defren

Many of us take cinnamon as a supplement as it is said to be a good way to help keep BG levels down. So, I would think in an e-cig it would be fine. I made some cinnamon muffins and my BG hit the floor, I don't have quite the same effect with the supplements.

Good luck quitting.

AMBrennan

I think it's very very very unlikely that cinnamon perfume (or cinnamon flavour for that matter) contains any real cinnamon at all.

Keep in mind though that nicotine alone has some negative health effects as well.

Good luck :thumbup:

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've tried the mint ones, my consultant recommends vaping to stop smoking, he says that while there is not so much info available for them, the fact that you are not inhaling smoke containing tar and all sorts of other harmful toxins mean that they are no where near as bad as ciggies.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
A

Anonymous

I have been off the cigs for 11 weeks now, didnt use an e-cig though, I was prescribed the nicorette quickmist spray, worked wonders for me, smoked for years and years, tried patches, didnt work, you can use the quickmist with a patch on if required to do so Seanie....Good luck on your way to smoke free lungs, you will reap lots of benefits from quitting... :clap:

Sharon :D

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I've been selling electronic cigarettes now since 2009 and they are surrounded by controversy.

The tobacco industry are frightened to death of them as they are the logical progression from traditional tobacco cigarettes - almost like the progression from horse and cart to the motor car. In fact, in the USA, a large tobacco company has purchased an e cig company called Blu for millions of dollars.

In the UK, the government haven't quite decided what to do with them. From recent Freedom of Information requests and words in a few ears down in Westminster, I'm pretty sure they will not ban them; as it's estimated that there are now in excess of 700,000 users in the UK ( in Germany it's 2 million and even more in the USA).

Right now they are far cheaper than tobacco cigarettes but that is likely to change. I predict the government will tax them; as they do now with petrol, booze and fags - but that won't happen for a few years yet

Fetchmeacoffee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
busybodies
I currently vape , and have found any flavours I vape with not to mess with my sugar levels. I had a bit of a hard time trusting these things for a while , trying clear smoke I was very disappointed with both taste and quality. I've seen many advertised about , and seen them in shops too , disposables etc.

However , after visiting a friend a few months ago , I was amazed by what he was using. He lives in Wigan close to Manchester , and orders various flavours etc for his e-cig from a company called The Little Puffer who are on the market in Wigan. I would totally recommend anybody that is thinking about giving up , to give it a try , and at least give these guys a try. Not only are they cheap , but they're reliabe too , offering delivery on items too (if you don't live near , they'l post it to you!)
http://www.thelittlepuffer.co.uk/

I've vaped now for 2-3 months , and not looked back.

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello all. I vape and have been now for about 6 months, my problem in the beginning was I will not inhale anything with polypropolene glycol by the way is a product also use in ant freeze there are companies out there that use plant based glycerine as an alternative which is what I use. It is true that there is no evidence of them being better for your health but that is only because they are still new and mostly untested the NHS does not endorse ecigs. Does that mean it is not better than tobacco? Well personal evidence says yes it is better the vape inhaled contains nicotine water vapour and flavourings you can add mine being creme de menth. I now have full lung capacity even my asthma has stopped bothering me, no whistling lungs, tongue in the morning no longer tasting like sewerage. Money spent on vaping under a third of what I used to spend on tobacco although the initial outlay may seem expensive that is soon made up. It is worth getting a quality product as the cheaper ones last short time only.

Happy vaping those who choose to

Simon aka Cobra3164

jennysmith

In a survey smokers admitted that they dislike the foul smells left when they use traditional tobacco cigarettes and for those who switched to electronic cigarettes smells entirely disappear. These electronic cigarettes are cheap and they can be used at public places, pubs and restaurants. It becomes easy to quit smoking with e cigarettes and they do not affect your teeth and smile.
[mod edit]

Cartman65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I smoked for 20 years. Tried everything to quit but no success until I was introduced to ecigs over 3 years ago when they were relatively unknown and pretty basic.

Three years on and I'm still vaping and would never go back to smoking. There is some fantastic vaping kit out there on the Internet now.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Chout

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening,

As a type 2 diabetic who smokes, I have been working hard to not only control sugars but also cut down/out smoking. Recently I have been having some good success by using an Electronic Cigarette. The manufacture suggests all flavours ranging from traditional tobacco (not real but simulated) through to cinammon, mint and cherry flavours are basically all the same constituent ingredients (but taste different). Here is a list of the ingredients of the 'vape' as they call it:-
- 1.6% is Nicotine
- 0.9% is Lactic Acid
- 91.2% is Medial/Food grade Propylene Glycol
- 4.5% is Food Alcohol
- 1.8 % Food Perfume

I assume the food perfume add the cinammon or mint or cherry or tobacco flavour?; not sure.

I am hoping that the above isnt going to up my sugar levels when inhaled as a vapour. is there any advice. The suggestion of cinammon and or cherry would be nice (rather than the basic tobacco flavour they do) but I really dont know if theres a downside for a diabetic. Has anyone researched Electronic Cigarettes and Diabetes?. Would love to keep of the smelly weeds and of course hopefully the electronic cigarettes over time.

Thoughts?
I have diabetic but i don't know about the reaction about cigarette smoking. If there is any danger then please inform me and i will quite my smoking habit. Because life is very important to me. I hope everybody will give the importance to their body.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fetchmeacoffee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
busybodies
I have now vaped for well over a year, my health feels loads better, i feel more able to do things without losing breath, its amazing, it has also turned into a new hobby

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Onlyababy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also Vape and not had a ciggy in 3 months and I feel loads better for giving up smoking. No more coughing, l never thought that I would be able to quit, but from the start of hoping I have not had a fag