Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Megan,

If you are sure your fibromyalgia syptoms were better using animal insulin than levemir/lantus then insist that your consultant changes you back, it's your choice at the end of the day and unless your diabetes control suffered whilst on animal insulin then I can't see what the problem is.

Send Justine (Janabelle) a pm or contact the IDDT for advice on this matter.

pernodpen

Hi,
I too have been on Lantus since 9th February 2012, muscle pains in arms, legs, ankles, top of feet. Saw a GP at practice yesterday who was not a lot of help, very kind but little advice, didnt know what to do. Diabetic nurses say it is not the lantus but not had pains like this before the lantus. Any one able to advise - thankyou

Donkeymad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi janablle. I found your post interesting. I have been on Lantus for some years now, and have 'hypo days' too. days where, for no apparent reason, I keep getting low blood sugar levels. Never thought it could be the Lantus.

OZZY 11

hi i've just switched to levemir from lantus , i did get the aches & pains from lantus . my lantus stopped working ,i was able to reduce my lantus by half with no differing in my bg :D

doyle23

it seems to be common to have periodic problems with lantus, i have come to the conclusion that it is a storage issue with the pharmacies and at home with your own fridge, i have several cartridges that are fine for about a week after removing from the fridge and then start to become ineffective very quickly over 48 hours to the point where i discard the cartridge and open a new one which solves the crisis, there is sometimes a backlash with hypos due to eating less carbs and taking more humolog during the spell where glargine was not performing...i am certain there is a problem with the post manufacturing life span of the glargine, i have had a pack from the hospital pharmacy that was not problematic for two months, then a pack from the local pharmacy that was problematic soon after delivery, i would not suggest that anyone is not storing it correctly, but that the preservative combination used by sonafi is not performing as needed to, while in cold storage for extended periods at the pharmacy...even slight changes in the temperature perhaps to less than the 2-8 degrees C or above could render it prone to problems for the end user..i have a sensitivity to sulfur so humulin I etc is not an option, so i get my insulin from the hospital and discard cartridges after a week, this usually works, but the best idea is to swap if you can and avoid feeling ill and having non regime control issues...hope this helps you feel better.
a general tip is to avoid excessive exercise within 2 hours of injecting your fast acting insulin, as low GI foods are no match for the ability of analog insulins to drain energy from your liver causing long term "low" feelings, take an extra couple of units and rest a couple of hours if possible then have a cup of tea and a biscuit before walking to the shops etc, mild activity at home or at the office does not usually drain you as much and should not cause a constant low and tired feeling...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
doyle, you should mention this problem to the pharmacy involved as it more than likely to do with the wholesaler where they purchase the lantus from, have you tried an alternative pharmacy to see if this resolves the problem?

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Folks,
I've finally got myself off analogue insulin..novorapid and lantus..and have just started insulatard and humulin S. Hospital said to experiment with dosage until I the right combinations. they would let me try porcine 'yet' as the consultant wasn't too up on porcine insulin. I'm trying the human insulins to see what happens. Now waiting to see how my body reacts to coming off insulin. I've already noticed that I'm not heavy headed and hoping that the tired feelings will go. I also a month ago that I was deficient in Vit D..20.5. My GP put me on Solgar Vit D3 1000unit tablets, 1 a day. I'm hoping that the 1000unit tablet will be strong enough. just had another vit D blood test so that should point whether 1000unit tablet in strong enough.
Is anyone out there on Humulin S using now or in the past. I'm assuming that its injected with every meal. So far I've found that I need quite a lot more Humulin S over novorapid. At night, I tried for 8 and had 18 insulatard but ended up at 2.7 at 3.56am. Last night before bed 21.52pm 12.2. (I had already taken 18 insulatard) 9.5 at 1.23am but 18.8 at 5.11am and 22.4 at 6.31am before breakfast. I don't know if I'd gone into hypo between 1.23am and 5.11 am when I was 18.8.
So far I have been injecting at each meal using higher amounts than novorapid to keep my 2 hour levels reasonable. Maybe insulatard don't work with humulinS. Any thoughts....

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi can anyone offer any advice please, i think this is the right place.
I was diagnosed T1 almost 2 weeks ago, 6 days ago i've felt so weak, i can't move/climb the stairs, i feel so sick, drained, i can't look after my 2 children. I am only 20 years old, i feel like i'm on my last legs. Readings through this thread is making me think its the lantus. Will they definitley change my insulin? If i was to go on either Levemir or animal insulin, would the dose be the same? Currently on 4 units of lantus in the evening 9pm. I'm so desperate, i went to a&e yesterday as i was so weak i can't sit up. They run blood tests, did ECG and all fine, x-ray of chest was normal. I feel so weak i can't put it down to anything else.
Also i can't seem to think properly, i can't concentrate or talk in sentences without forgetting what i was on about. I just want to feel normal.

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You might want to google Lantus and cancer. Caution, you might be shocked at what you find... I dumped mine,

bpoconnor

Re: LANTUS PROBLEMS

Andy K said:
Hi Nigel, I am now injecting Animal Insulin instead of the genetically modifed stuff. I am on Hypurin Porcine Isophane. I spoke with the wonderful people at the Insulin Dependant Diabetics Trust. They sent me load of information and were a grest support. You can find them at www.iddtinternational.org or you can phone them on 0160 462 2837.

Andy
I can't understand why Type 1's were put on these insulins! I changed 18months ago back to animal insulin isophane and neutral the change in myself was dramatic, awareness improved, general well being improved.What's going on? It's bad enough being type 1 without being a test subject for large insulin companies, I know many type 1's find these analgues ok but not all humans are the same and should not be treated as such by the medical profession.

Reactions: 2 people

bpoconnor

Hellbunny said:
Hi can anyone offer any advice please, i think this is the right place.
I was diagnosed T1 almost 2 weeks ago, 6 days ago i've felt so weak, i can't move/climb the stairs, i feel so sick, drained, i can't look after my 2 children. I am only 20 years old, i feel like i'm on my last legs. Readings through this thread is making me think its the lantus. Will they definitley change my insulin? If i was to go on either Levemir or animal insulin, would the dose be the same? Currently on 4 units of lantus in the evening 9pm. I'm so desperate, i went to a&e yesterday as i was so weak i can't sit up. They run blood tests, did ECG and all fine, x-ray of chest was normal. I feel so weak i can't put it down to anything else.
Also i can't seem to think properly, i can't concentrate or talk in sentences without forgetting what i was on about. I just want to feel normal.
Dear Hellbunny, this sounds like hell pet. What are your BS levels, Lantus does seem to make users feel weak and sick. Have a word with your diabetic nurse about a change but go in armed with as much info as you can get. If you don't have your own Glugometer get one off diabetes.co.uk they come up with offers free of charge and check your levels through the day. I am back on animal insulin with a great improvement, though I've been type 1 for forty years.

icylilies

Hello,

I've had so many issues with my Diabetes. First with the diagnosis. I was pushed around for two weeks being told "How could I have diabetes?" then the day of my party for my friend who was leaving to go home to America I was taken to hospital. For an hour they tried to put a cannula in my arm but my needle phobia turned me into a hysterical fit and the next few days I cried my heart out.
After that I went back to school and I got zero sympathy and five teachers tried to axe me from their classes because I was absent a lot. At that time I was suffering from Hypoglycemia and the symptoms had began to wane for it so every time the levels got lower and lower. So obviously that plan wasn't working so the hospital switched me onto Lantus.
Hell broke loose after that.
Two weeks of those injections they stung and ached for hours after. I began to have stomach pains and I was passing out for 18hours at a time. Those five teaches nearly got me axed from their classes again. I was taken to Great Ormond Street hospital, and Chronic fatigue was on the bill. During the stages of diagnosis Addisons disease was looked into and B12 deficiency. Everything came back at a dead end. So i am currently awaiting my next appointment at Great Ormond street even though they said It was unlikely I would be diagnosed with the syndrome.
Over the last 8 months I've never felt so terrible. I preferred the hypo's everyday and the angry teaches than this. It all started when I was placed on Lantus.
Now I just can't take the insulin because I know it doesn't work, i looked at the graphs this morning and it's a zig zag and they rise and fall within the hour. I don't take my blood measurement because I know what It'll be, i don't tell my mum because she always shouts at me.
I'm so tired, I'm weak, I can't swim anymore (I was on the swimming team) I'm in pain, I just had an ultrasound and it came back clear, I have lost a lot of friends because of this.
I'm going to the doctor today and my mum is taking your forum posts because she agrees. Thank you

Here is a graph of my Insulin since the day I was diagnosed to today.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/icylilies/7800616524/in/photostream/lightbox/
The first set of data is when I was on a different regime but still on synthetic (Novo-mix) I was happier. Theres a gap (change of monitors) and then the Lantus. Yes I must take more Blood measurements. At the bottom between december and February it begins to spike. This was when I was first changed to Lantus.
On another note I'm only 14 and starting my GCSE's, at the moment Diabetes is ruining my life and the health care promised me it wouldn't. I think I made a fair case here.
Thank you again for this thread.
Best wishes
Phillippa

head323

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking
i am on lantus now for 5 yrs and on it at nite as doctors think my sugar levels rise during the nite so they put me on lantus . no use what so ever i do blood test before and after i take the insulin as doctors told me to and in the middle of the nite which is a bumper but they want to know if my sugars r high r low always high and doctors r not increasing it at nite cause to much insulin can damge organs .

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I've now been on Porcine Neutral and Porcine Isophane for 2 months and am happy to say that all the tiredness/fatigue, drugged up feelings have GONE. I'm now getting to grips with the doses. Finding it a bit hard with my morning BGs as it's in the 12s but I'm getting there. Next month I'll have my HBA1C done and I'll be very interested to find out what it is...now that I;ve come off analogue and human insulins. I seem to be having problems with my blood pressure tablets as I've developed Lichen Planus of the mouth abd skin. Also fingure pain.

Bobbietb

I have to say that it was almost a relief to read about others' problems with Lantus. I check my glucose level before every meal, I am constantly considering how what I eat affects my levels and still my control is so erratic.
My main problem is having high readings in the morning. Out of interest when do you take you Lantus? I've just changed to taking it in the morning rather than at night but nothing's changed.
I had previously adjusted the amount I was taking with no luck at all! It's so frustrating as its not like I don't care.

Napolyon1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Why is it after taking fast acting lentos insulin my B/S has risen after two hours? It's a pain!

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
When I used lantus I injected around 10pm. The amount used varies from person to person so check with your DSN. High BS in the mornings can be caused by liver dump or the dawn problem. The amount of carbs that you eat with every meal will mean you should take different amounts of fast acting insulin as the more carbs you eat means that you will need need more insulin to keep your BS in control. Are you using novorapid?

Donkeymad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I came here tonight to find out about the timing of taking Lantus, and came across this thread, which I have found very interesting. My question was about the fact that I was moved from evening to morning doses whilst in hospital in December (non diabetic related) and thought it very unusual. So, not only have I got my answer, but had a good and interesting read about 'my' insulin too :thumbup: .

Richard.arkle

Ive been on Lantus for, ummmmm many years, been type 1 for 32, since it came out I think. My Doc says I was one of the first.

Started having erratic bs some 3 years ago, getting much worse later, and really struggled through every possible variable. A session with Prof Pearson at ARI had me stripped down to essentials and him pointing out to me the parts of me that were worn out with injections. (He called it some fancy name). I said I DID rotate my sites. Yes but they are the same sites you are rotating through!!! I estimate I must have injected more than 35,000 times.

With some imagination and more flexibility I am now reaching the parts I hardly new existed but I have to be careful in public.

Give it a try Janabelle.

R

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi i am on landus and i to have been unwell since taking it which has only been a yr,i have had somach problems which they say is bilery reflux which i didn't have before,swollen joints and swelling other places i think i must any test under the sun but nothing has shown up i keep being told there is nothing serious going on and it's the menopauseits mental as far as know sress doesn't make your joints swell,oh and the good 1 is that ,i am really fed up with it and have said many times about the insulin as i'm sure most of the time its not working,how do you get through to the doc's about it :( :( :(
stella