question; cold/flu treatments?

erindoherty

i have recently been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, i have got the cold and a chest infection. Does anyone know any good sugar free remedies for colds and coughs ( in the UK )?

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, i've not had real flu this year but i've had a couple of pretty bad colds which have left me feeling horrendous. I've been having Asda Cold Relief capsules, they're pretty cheap around 50p a pack of 16 (i expected them to be rubbish) but they perk me up really well. Hope you feel better soon!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Something to help bring down a temperature if you have one like paracetamol but do read the packet re dosage and dont mix it with other drugs or remedies that might contain paracetamol too.

Keep your self hydrated - drink plenty of water.

Sit it out at home so you dont spread the virus to others.

I HATE COLDS :evil:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Check with your Pharmacist for a suitable product, if the chest infection persists do see your gp.

AMBrennan

Don't worry about the sugar; its impact will be negligible compared to the effect of the infection itself on your BG

WhitbyJet

Plenty of warm drinks, eg tea made with fresh ginger and lemon, elderberries (I have often posted in this forum suggesting people collect and freeze these berries, google Sambucol, its a cold remedy made from elderberries and costs a small fortune, its made from elderberries, make sure next winter you are prepared, pick your own elderberries!)

Paracetamol, tea as above, other warm soothing drinks & nourishing soups, see Winter Warmer recipes, for blocked sinus/stuffy noses Olbas oil or Vicks and plenty of TLC from those around you, snuggling down with a cosy blanket, watching a good movie.

Get well soon x

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I will never understand why people who get colds either want to take some sort of medication or rush to the drs?

AMBrennan

Well, colds are not exactly pleasant and lemsip (or generic paracetamol and a decongestant) will get rid of the symptoms.

erindoherty

if anyone is looking for treatment for sore throats my dad bought be strepsils the other day and a sugar free cough syrup you can get these out of a boots chemist ( UK)