What to drink at the pub

BethR

Hi, im just wondering if anyone has any tips as to what to drink at the pub?
Ive been diagnosed about 3 weeks now and im already sick of vodka and diet coke!!

Beth x

MAMA2X

Hi there,
I have switched to red wine I read somewhere that it has benificial effects and is better than white for diabetics. I am not sure quite what the effects are but as I like it and it goes well with the extra cheese that I now eat instead of having a sweet pudding after a meal, I will carry on drinking and enjoying especially over Christmas cheers!! :thumbup:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. In general alcohol has little effect on blood sugar so don't go mad but have a good Christmas break!

hallii

Pure alcohol has a BG lowering effect.

The problem is that many drinks containing alcohol also contain a lot of sugar and carbs.

Beer is bad in that respect, as is sweet white wine, liqueurs, sweet sherry, port and so on.

Dry white or red wine is OK as are most spirits, dry cider is good and so is dry champagne (or Cava).

The biggest danger is that consuming alcohol makes you hungry, it also clouds your judgement, so you finish up eating fish and chips or a curry on the way home!

H

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Just stick with Vodka and soda, desired effect with virtually no carbs !
It has the effect of lowering BG because the liver processes alcohol first, I'm not sure if any other carbs just wait in a queue or not ?
Hey Ho Tis the season etc !

Superchip

Virgo123

I am not a liquor, tea or coffee fan.

Now that presents a real problem. When I eat out which is very often, I am stuck. I feel very frustrated.
I have one or two cappucinos fairly often, but in the evening I dont, just in case there is a trace of caffeine then I wont sleep.
I have started with coke light and fill te glass half with water, but I cant stand it anymore.
So when it comes to having any drinks, especially at night, Im a :x :problem:

any suggestiions..

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Red wine for me too - it's good for the levels.

Stevec189

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have found that my tolerance from a diabetic point of view to Red Wine has detoriated and I get on better with a dry white or fizz as others have suggested. Trouble with Vodka and coke is the sureity that it is diet coke going in your glass and not the full fat sort. I have had several spikes (one this week) which can only have been due to the unexpected digestion of full fat coke!

Have a good (and sober) Christmas!

Steve

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Mines a medium dry white wine with soda water plus sliced lemon too ! :D
If put in a large tumbler glass - this can last me ages ...

If no soda I go for slimline tonic water, again with lemon slices added :thumbup:

Anna.

sparkster

beer for me followed by red wine, i usually inject extra to allow for the beer though, no more than 10 pints mind you've gotta have your wits about ya come bedtime :D

tazzle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I am only in the prediabetes category but testing lots trying to find out what gets me high ...... was rather surprised cider hardly tickled the numbers :p

suzie_girl

Yes I've had that problem with the diet coke. I got one the other day, had a big swig, took it back said 'are you sure this is diet coke because it doesn't taste like it'. She emptied it and gave me another which I saw her pour from the right tap, tasted completely different. This was like a pint of coke I would have been really ill :-/ I've sent pints back before and they've been like 'i think its diet'. I think doesn't cut it! That's really made me nervous of the whole thing, and problem is too if you have a drunk friend even getting the round who forgets....

I agree I find wine a bit 'safer' feeling. But generally I don't think I've been drunk more then once in the year I've been diagnosed. I'm just not that bothered by it on the offchance it doesn't do me any good. So I intend to have the odd sugar free lemonade sprizer at home and the odd glass of wine out and that'll be it.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If asking for a 'diet coke' try asking if they have any that are bottled.
The bottled diet coke is always nicer in taste than the tap diet coke!
Might cost a bit more than tapped coke but certainly worth it as -

Someimes I have been able to taste the chemicals used to clean the tap pipes - ugh !!
Terrible taste and have sent it back with a firm refusal to even drink it ... :sick:
Also if you can see the bottled diet coke - you 'know' what you are really getting :thumbup:

Anna.

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
drink what you like within reason make sure you have plenty of food and enjoy yourself once in a while you only get one life :D

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fruit juices are a no-no for me. Diet coke or soda water are the non-alcoholic alternatives. I'm T1 though. You might just have to test to find out.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
richardbown said:
Please can you tell me whether fruit juices are allowed. I am type 2 but diet controlled at moment. Thanks

Some fruit juices are crammed with hidden sugars in them!
Really best to steer clear of these.

[can use if hypo - on insulin user diabetics ]

Hope this helps.
Anna.