Uncontrolled Type II - despite so much medication

jennyfest

Hi
I am new to this forum but hope that you may be able to ffer me some advice.

I have type II diabetes (diagnosed in 2005) which has been uncontrolled for over a year now, and I am getting seriously worried about the long term damage of my permenant hypergylcaemia, something none of my medical team seem concerned about.
I am 56 and as well as my diabetes I also have CFS/ME and have limited mobility due to an ankle injury sustained over 30 years ago.
Following several trips to A & E, I am now on 5 injections of Insulin per day Lantus 40 units at night + 10 in the morning and Novo Rapid x 3 times a day at 1.5 units per 10g of Carb I eat so daily I'm topping 90 units of Insulin, and feel like a pin cushion. I also take 1 gram of Metformin x twice a day and 80g of Gliclazide x twice a day
Despite this my blood glucose readings remain between 10.0 - 15.0 before breakfast with readings in the high 15.0 - 20.0 range most of the day and sometimes up to 24.7. My last HBAC1 was 9.6, and despite medication for this my cholestorol levels are also rising, I also have high blood pressure, and am having investigations for gastric problems ?suspected pancreatitis.
I am really struggling with all the constant monitoring and recording and trying to eat regularly and healthily, most days I am able to do very little by way of personal care for myself, it seems incredible that just a few years ago I was a senior manager in the NHS travelling the length and breadth of the UK!
I am now being monitored by a Community Diabetic Nurse by telephone every couple of days, and see my GP regularly but I'm not sure anyone is really seeing the whole me, and they are only dealing with their bit of me.
All advice about what I could/should do would be very gratefully received.

mazbee

Welcome to the forum Jenny,

I don't have the answers to help you, but I am sure someone will.
This forum has helped me so much since being diagnosed type 2, 3 years ago this month.

Take time to have a read through the forum, maybe do a search, I am sure that there will be a topic or two that can help you.
Most of the members of the forum tend to have low carbohydrate meals to reduce their blood glucose, we have found this way to be a big help in combating our diabetes and reducing our blood glucose readings and helping to loose weight too.

I am sure some one who may have more knowledge of your problems can give you some advice.

Marion.

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jenny :wave: and welcome!

As Marion said, lots of us eat low carb to various levels. If you follow the NHS 'Healthy Diet' advice then maybe we could advise you where things could be changed diet wise. The recommended diet is NOT good for diabetes as lots of us have found, you would have to be careful if you eat carbs and start to reduce them because of the medication that you are on, what sort of things do you eat?

Ann

foxyccc

Hello Jenny. I also have CFS/ME and type two diabetes. I totally understand about not being able to control the diabetes very well when your body is so fatigued and also you cannot do the exercise that is recommended.

My GP told me recently that there is nothing she can give me for the ME but with high blood glucose levels such as mine (my last HBAIc was 8 but was 9.4 last time, she said any one would feel very fatigued and that I have a double whammy with two diseases.!

She is trying me on Bydureon injection shortly for a three month trial to see if this helps lower the blood glucose so that the glucose can get into the cells to give energy!

I am on max tablet medication, so this is my next treatment protocol.

I choose to see the doctor for my main diabetes results as she can see me as a person with CFS and diabetes, whereas the diabetic nurses expertise is in the diabetes and doesnt have a great deal of knowledge about the CfS.

The diabetic nurse suggested doing yoga or getting a foot exerciser that you pedal, but I dont think she understands how little energy you have on a daily basis, and you need this energy just to potter around the house.

I would love to exercise as this would help lower my glucose. Hopefully things will improve after starting bydureon.

Regards

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
i found that blood pressure medication and cholesterol medication and pain medication all raise blood sugar
perhaps they do that for you too

discus with doctor about changing medication that may not impact on blood glucose levels

what i did was stop taking the blood pressure medication and the cholesterol medication

I am actually aiming to have high cholesterol at the moment

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/fat-not-protein.html

quoting from above

Potential for other diseases

The traditional Inuit (Eskimo) diet is a no-carb diet. It is notable that the Inuit diet described by Drs Vilhjalmur Stefansson and Hugh Sinclair in the 1950s is very similar in regard to percentages of fat/protein/carb intake to the experimental low-carb diets used in recent obesity studies.[xvi] The Inuit diet was comprised of seal, whale, salmon, and a very limited amount of berries and the partially digested contents of animals' stomachs. On this diet, blood cholesterol levels were very high as were free fatty acids, but ? and this in much more important ? triglycerides were low.[xvii] [xviii] It is interesting to note that the Inuit were of great interest to research scientists because they had practically none of the diseases we suffer, including obesity, coronary heart disease and diabetes mellitus.[xix] [xx]
end of quote

and there is a link between man made foods and diabetes so avoid trans fats such as margarine