fruit

Sidney

diagnosed 2years ago type2 on metformin blood today 8.2 practice nurse says cut down on fruit in my lunch why? assumed fruit was ok. ps dont blood test nurse says no need for type2 wont suply meter and test strips.

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sidney, fruit does contain natural sugars and lots of us find that we can only eat certain fruits. Raspberries and other berry fruit I find okay. The only way that you can find out though is to test before and after eating something. Not giving you a meter and strips is very common, it's purely a short sighted cost cutting movement, it will save money now, but I suspect there will be an increase in treatment needed in the future from complications. Controlling you levels won't guarantee you'll be free from complications, but hopefully it will lessen the risk and keep medication low.

Ann

Kimton61

I used to eat loads of fruit but it wasn`t until i attended a diabetes awareness session that I was told i should cut down on the amount I eat.
since cutting down I have found that my levels have ben better.....

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I eat fruit most days often with my lunch and sometimes as a snack, you dont say what fruit you are eating or how much just that your DN has suggested you cut back.

Many find that small amounts of fruit eaten either with a meal or as a snack are fine but the emphasis needs to be on 'small amounts of' and not 'fruit' so 4 to 8 grapes may be OK where as a bunch of grapes will almost certainly cause most diabetics a very large spike in bg levels. Similarly half an apple probably OK but an apple an orange and a banana would be way too much for most diabetics to handle.

Personally I cant eat just a small handful of grapes, I want to eat the whole bunch so I tend to avoid them now most of the time. But I've found that a small green apple or a small/medium sized orange or a clementine is fine for me, thats one or another not all three at once :D others may find they can eat less and others more so it is important that you find out what you personal levels are.

All fruits contain sugar fruit juices are even worse as they will be concentrated, you may have seen the advert that promises two whole oranges in every glass!! Probably too much for most diabetics.

Test every meal and tweak them till the portions of carbs in that meal are small enough not to give you levels outside your targets 2 hours after eating (postprandial). :thumbup:

Edited: for spelling mistake/s