Injecting getting hard

joelcam

Hi all,

I've been in decent shape for all of my adult life but lately I've been going to the gym every weekday and doing a combination of cardio and weights...I've put on about a stone of muscle and lost all of my bodyfat. I sort of look like a young Peter Andre (only far more handsome). Because of the low body fat, injecting is getting really hard as I struggle to pinch up. I already have the shortest needles they make, so any suggestions (other than eat some pies)

JC

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

At a recent course run by the Diabetic Consultant we were advised that we don't need to pinch a fold of flesh anymore - just stick the short needle straight in.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As Ambersilva says there's no need to pinch when using short needles, I really can't remember the last time I did that. I'd suggest speaking with your DSN if you already use 4mm needles for injecting.

Fallenstar

Hi Joel

I struggle with this sometimes, I have hit muscle a couple of times even with the 4mm needles, scary!!!!. I run a lot and for the last 6 months now lift heavy, my BF is 13%. I have found that I can't inject in my Stomach at all, no fat. at all in my legs, too much muscle, and I now have to be careful with my upper arms since incorporating weights into my routine. I inject right at the top of both my arms sort of near the inside with Bolus, injecting alone there has created two little cushions of fat, no lumps yet, so insulin is absorbed fine.I know exactly how quickly my insulin works in these spots , quickly! I use my But for bolus if I need a slower absorption rate for long runs.
I use these spots on my upper arms for my fast acting, which averages about 10 injections a day..I low carb, so I am on small regular doses to fit in with training.

I use my Butt for the two injections of Levemir...it's my fatest area really, being a chick :roll: It does get harder to find spots the leaner you get, but the less body fat the more insulin sensitive, so to me it's a no brainer really, I know which I prefer.

Hey and well done on "the Andre abs" just hope your not the same Andre "Brighter shade of Tango" , not a good look on a beef cake :lol:

joelcam

Fallenstar - thanks for the reply, glad to know I'm not on my own with this one..

Your butt references made me feel sick (until you pointed out you were not a man!)

I don't have the tango look either, thankfully I'm naturally brown!

alisoningold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I just wanted to thank you two for this funny conversation as it put a smile on my face! "Brighter shade of Tango"... love it.