AVERSION TO SUGAR

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
This is really, really weird. When I first started low carbing about 4 months ago now, I still had the odd nibble on a piece of chocolate and ate the occasional mini Crunchie bar, and I mean occasional. Maybe I'd have two mini crunchies in 10 days or so. Then I noticed I was starting to leave them untouched in the bowl on top of my fridge for longer and longer periods.

Two days ago I thought I might have one with a cup of coffee, I bit into it and immediately felt sick and had to stop eating it. I tried another one tonight and the same thing happened. I really thought I was going to be sick, it tasted sooooooooo sickly I couldn't bear to eat it. I don't know how I ever managed to eat anything so sweet in all my life!!! :roll:

I know my carb cravings disappeared within a few days of cutting carbs but cravings are one thing, taste buds are another. I don't think I could bear the smell or taste of chocolate ever again!

Has anyone else experienced a similar aversion to sugary foods after starting low carbing? Never in a million years would I have ever expected to lose my sweet tooth completely. Gawd ... wish I'd low carbed years ago. :roll:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I do or do not low carb depending on your point of view what I do know is that once I stopped eating so many sweets I now find that when I do eat them they taste very sweet indeed often so sweet in some cases that I dont eat them at all now.

I think you just change your tastes, just as I did 30+ years ago when I stopped taking three sugars in tea and coffee to having no sugar at all It happened almost overnight and now I cant drink a sweet drink as it just tastes foul to me.

Another example, when I was young I would drink sweet German wines, Black Tower, Blue Nun etc etc nowadays I couldnt even take a sip of a sweet wine, a nice dry red for me ever time thanks.

I dont think that sweetness has anything to do with low carb and everything to do with sugar and sweetness :thumbup:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Sid Bonkers said:
I do or do not low carb depending on your point of view what I do know is that once I stopped eating so many sweets I now find that when I do eat them they taste very sweet indeed often so sweet in some cases that I dont eat them at all now.

I think you just change your tastes, just as I did 30+ years ago when I stopped taking three sugars in tea and coffee to having no sugar at all It happened almost overnight and now I cant drink a sweet drink as it just tastes foul to me.

Another example, when I was young I would drink sweet German wines, Black Tower, Blue Nun etc etc nowadays I couldnt even take a sip of a sweet wine, a nice dry red for me ever time thanks.

I dont think that sweetness has anything to do with low carb and everything to do with sugar and sweetness :thumbup:

Yes, I went completely off sugar in my tea after my second son was born by Caesarean section. I also went completely off my husband too! Tastes do change with time. :D

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
GraceK said:
Yes, I went completely off sugar in my tea after my second son was born by Caesarean section. I also went completely off my husband too! Tastes do change with time. :D

:lol: :lol:

eggplant

Hi Grace

I'm more reduced carb than low carb and funnily enough I've never really been too much into sugary things although I did eat them. LOL That said, I loved pizza. I did find I gained an aversion to some things - I used to like Belgian buns but after not eating them for several months, I tried one and found I didn't like it at all. Another time, I tried a pizza - same thing - discovered I wasn't all that fussed with them anymore. Same thing with McCain's microwave chips (all of a sudden they tasted like paper!). :lol:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Sid Bonkers said:
GraceK said:

:lol: :lol:

Glad you liked it Sid :wink:

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find if I eat sugary things now it makes my teeth ache (saves having the meter with you all the time :lol: ).

Before diagnosis I absolutely hated peppers and used to pick them out of pizzas and meals to throw them on my better half's plate. Now I eat them whether they are cooked or cold in salads and I enjoy them!! Never thought I would ever say that. Can't say the same for celery yet though unfortunately! :lol:

I am an ex-chocoholic (big time) and now hardly ever touch the stuff and I am definitely don't get the cravings and temptations I used to have. I do now confess to being a nutoholic however (although many would say that's a natural progression the way my mind works most of the time :crazy: )

Grace love your comment about husband :lol: :lol: :lol:

Angie

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
angieG said:
I find if I eat sugary things now it makes my teeth ache (saves having the meter with you all the time :lol: ).

Before diagnosis I absolutely hated peppers and used to pick them out of pizzas and meals to throw them on my better half's plate. Now I eat them whether they are cooked or cold in salads and I enjoy them!! Never thought I would ever say that. Can't say the same for celery yet though unfortunately! :lol:

I am an ex-chocoholic (big time) and now hardly ever touch the stuff and I am definitely don't get the cravings and temptations I used to have. I do now confess to being a nutoholic however (although many would say that's a natural progression the way my mind works most of the time :crazy: )

Grace love your comment about husband :lol: :lol: :lol:

Angie

:roll: Couldn't help myself Angie. Honestly, I think the menopause cures women of 'love' cos I certainly saw it for the hormonal imbalance that it really is. Not the menopause - love, that is. :wink:

Virgo123

I just love Gracek's humour.
The husband is a great one.... :lol:

I am also a recovering chocoholic, and cant stand the stuff now.
I get optimistic in the shop occasionally and buy one, only to have it sitting there like an ornament.

My former sweet tooth is gone for good.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Grace :p you crack me up with your humour and comical honesty :lol:

I used to crave and ache for custardy things , this is a throwback from my childhood days.
My mother and her mother made all sorts of custardy things for me ...
I was an ill child with a very poor appetite so they would make and bake these for me.
Knowing I would have this - at least it was something 'grandma would say'

Now I heave if I see heavy custardy things, am yet not sure why ?
Once I caved in [last summer] - had a beautiful looking custardy coffee renior - really savoured and enjoyed it .
2 hours later feeling 'dreadful' did my blood sugar level was horrified to see 16.4 on my meter :shock:
That taught me a big lesson - never again :thumbdown:
Can remember the feeling dreadful MORE than the taste of it , think it is this that has put me off them!

Anna.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Virgo123 said:
I just love Gracek's humour.
The husband is a great one.... :lol:

I am also a recovering chocoholic, and cant stand the stuff now.
I get optimistic in the shop occasionally and buy one, only to have it sitting there like an ornament.

My former sweet tooth is gone for good.

Does that mean I'm a recovering husbandaholic? :think: I can't be, I only had the one, didn't want any more husbands after that. :roll:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grace I will look for a jim carey manically grinning hunk of a bloke ...
Who loves yorkies and can swim like a newt and is into astrology just for you :thumbup:
Anna.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
anna29 said:
Grace :p you crack me up with your humour and comical honesty :lol:

I used to crave and ache for custardy things , this is a throwback from my childhood days.
My mother and her mother made all sorts of custardy things for me ...
I was an ill child with a very poor appetite so they would make and bake these for me.
Knowing I would have this - at least it was something 'grandma would say'

Now I heave if I see heavy custardy things, am yet not sure why ?
Once I caved in [last summer] - had a beautiful looking custardy coffee renior - really savoured and enjoyed it .
2 hours later feeling 'dreadful' did my blood sugar level was horrified to see 16.4 on my meter :shock:
That taught me a big lesson - never again :thumbdown:
Can remember the feeling dreadful MORE than the taste of it , think it is this that has put me off them!

Anna.

The more I hear your stores the more convinced I am that we've been diabetic from the start and have just had our own taste buds overriden by well meaning Mums and Grannies. My Mum made me have sugary tea because she said "We need sugar". I'm sure it's a form of maternal hypnosis, it's like a spell that needs to be broken later in life when our bodies can't help but say "Enough is enough!"

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
anna29 said:
Grace I will look for a jim carey manically grinning hunk of a bloke ...
Who loves yorkies and can swim like a newt and is into astrology just for you :thumbup:
Anna.

Thanks Anna ... :lol: :lol:

Jim Carrey is a very deep, spiritual person who's experienced a lot of pain in his life and I love his films cos they're sooooooooooo seemingly superficial yet so deep beneath that humerous facade. Not sure I'd like him around full time though, maybe weekends would be enough.

Yorkies I could have around 24/7 - love them. My little toy Yorkie, Jack, wasn't a yapper or an ankle biter, which is how a lot of people think of small dogs. He was the most gentle, well behaved little fella you could ever want. Put him in the park with other dogs and he had no idea how small he was, was never afraid to approach other dogs to play but if necessary would see them off if they weren't friendly. Also, he was very careful about his food, wouldn't eat if he didn't like it and once I tried him with some kind of dried stuff which had pieces of rice in it and was amazed when I went out to the kitchen to find a neat little pile of rice beside his bowl cos he'd meticulously picked out every single grain of rice so he could get to the bits he liked.

Dogs aren't animals ... they're something else. :D

Fraddycat

Grace, I used to love After Eights, especially at Christmas, and could easily eat a whole box to myself - I remember my hubby rifling through the empty wrappers to find I had left him only one or two ...

Anyway as you know I have been low carbing since July and think my tastebuds have completely changed, after a curry a couple of weeks ago I decided I would treat myself to half an After Eight ... it was disgusting. So ridiculously sweet it made my teeth hurt and was really not worth it.

As someone said we have learned to eat sweet stuff I don't think we naturally have a taste for it, and have to work hard to keep those tastes acceptable.

MAMA2X

I found the same thing as I was low carbing. Even things that I never thought of being sweet seemed to taste sweet eg. a skinny latte and apples seemed so sweet that my teeth hurt. I never liked dark chocolate but now I have one piece now and again and it does the job not bitter at all. Its all very weird.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Fraddycat said:
Grace, I used to love After Eights, especially at Christmas, and could easily eat a whole box to myself - I remember my hubby rifling through the empty wrappers to find I had left him only one or two ...

Anyway as you know I have been low carbing since July and think my tastebuds have completely changed, after a curry a couple of weeks ago I decided I would treat myself to half an After Eight ... it was disgusting. So ridiculously sweet it made my teeth hurt and was really not worth it.

As someone said we have learned to eat sweet stuff I don't think we naturally have a taste for it, and have to work hard to keep those tastes acceptable.

Yep ... I feel as if my body is adjusting itself back to default mode, which I had somehow been able to override for far too long. Chocolate is definitely off my menu now and I can feel it will be crisps next. They're one of my occasional treats and I've had roughly a packet of crisps a week or maybe a bit less, but each time I eat them, I'm sorry afterwards, not because I feel rough, but because I can taste every flipping chemical in them and don't want them in my body. :shock: I'm very grateful for this side effect of low carbing. :D

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
With me its like I have grown hypersensitive taste buds now - can detect the sugar , salt ,
and even some of the preservatives used in some foods !
Its like too bitter OR too sweet now . Tastes yucky now...

Quite amazing yet love the taste of home grown produce its fresh and organic in taste ...
Rather have a bowl of homemade soup than 'any tinned' soup now for example :thumbup:

Have found a local pub/mealhouse that hand/home makes everything from scratch .
They buy all their produce from the same local farm shop that I use ...
So 'guess' where me and hubby are going for a quiet lovely meal together boxing day :p
No cooking or washing up afterwards . :thumbup:

Anna.

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello. Well I am one of those who has loves sugar all my life it gets so bad the craving that I have asked my local shopkeeper to watch what I buy in chocolate sweets oooooooh suuuggaaaaarrr. I think I am a bit stuck in a lifetime habit but now use good tasting sweetners where I can. If the aversion to sugar is a disease I wanna catch it need to.

Simon aka Cobra3164

nikkihc

Dislikes
I dislike not being able to have cup's of tea before bed as even the skimmed milk takes me too high before sleeping !!
I've heard it said that people's taste buds change every 5 years or so (nothing to do with diabetics)..... Could be why various people on here are saying they like things now but not before. ...., certainly true for me.