DECEMBER - LOW CARB - MORNING BS

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
7.2 with Codefree this morning = 6.2 with Accu Check.

I'm doing these readings so that I can compare how my readings are from month to month to see if things like seasonal foods, weather conditions, stress, daylight hours etc affect my diabetes. I've noticed that when I sleep for more than 8 hours my morning BS is lower and actually stays lower throughout the day, so I'm wondering how much effect lack of sleep has been having on my blood sugars and whether that's because of something simple like I can't eat if I'm sleeping :D or whether it's more to do with the Circadian rhythm being in good working order.

Since August when I was diagnosed, the first things to go out of my life were bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, cakes, biscuits, sweets - but I did still have the odd nibble of chocolate until around November, when I began to balk at the smell of chocolate until finally last week I took one bite of a Mini Crunchie and it tasted like poison to me. The sweetness was overwhelmingly sickly and I was totally repulsed by it and at first, very confused at that reaction. I also had crisps as the odd 'treat' and am now getting a similar reaction to them - poison. Yuk!

My body is finally having it's say, it's found it's voice, it's saying it's piece and not before time. Every time I ate potatoes and felt bloated afterwards, that was me overriding my body's voice. Every time I ate all those doughnuts for breakfast ... (only joking). But it really was confusing to be eating things that were supposedly 'good' for me, bread, potatoes, carrots, parsnips etc - I loved them all, were actually making me ill. It's very easy to see the dangers of sweets and cakes and biscuits etc., but we're told to eat our 5 a day aren't we? So we don't expect them to make us ill.

So gradually almost all processed foods are being rejected by my body. I know everything is processed to some degree, I can't go out and slaughter my own cow or make my own cheese, but what I buy at the moment doesn't come in sealed packs and doesn't have a list of chemicals in the ingredients list. Anything that has a huge list of ingredients or has a list that's too small for me to read with 1.5 specs is returned to the shelf.

I now completely miss out several aisles in the supermarkets and shopping takes me next to no time. I do use frozen fish and veggies but not frozen meat and I eat fresh fruit in moderation but I'm now physically very conscious of HOW SWEET things are and instinctively turn away from them. And I'm absolutely loving it. I love the fact that I can trust my body to tell me what it wants again.

It's now asking me for a facelift, and a belly lift! :lol: :lol: :lol:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
7.2 again this morning and that's not good but it's not bad considering I had fish and chips for tea around 5.30pm yesterday. :roll:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
6.7 @ 5.30am ... what IS this with waking up at 5.30am lately? :shock:

Yesterday I was on a course for most of the day and there was lunch provided. I had breakfast of 4 x 2.5g crackers with about 100g cottage cheese at around 6am. By 11am I was starving and starting to feel sickly as we hadn't had the break we were promised on our course because the course facilitator was rambling and lost track of time. So I just took out my snackbox, opened it and started munching on my 4 x 2.5g peanut butter spread crackers. They were the easiest thing I could think of for a snack. I got a few funny looks but hey ho, I'd have had more if I'd thrown up on the floor! When the course facilitator caught my eye, I just said "Sorry, diabetic, hungry." in between munches. She said "No problem."

Of course because we were running late, lunch was also late. Surprisingly there was more filling than bread in the sandwiches so I chose two small cheese and egg sandwich quarters and 3 weeny meaty kebab things with two mini spring rolls and a bit of salad. That's the first bit of bread I've eaten since 13 August when I went low carb, and it amounted to 1 slice of bread minus crusts.

This was the first 'out of my control eating situation' where I had to think about what someone else was providing for me in the way of food. I did toy with taking my own lunch but I wanted to join in with everyone else and I also wanted the experience of managing what was provided. I've never been a 'fill your plate' type of person, but I was much more selective and thoughtful when it came to choosing the balance of what to eat and I had plenty of protein and a wee bit of carb.

There were also loads of little square cakes and I had no problem whatsoever in ignoring them, in fact when I see cakes now, they don't even register as food with me.

Some say we eat first of all with our eyes and I've certainly found that just reading the aisle signs in supermarkets and totally ignoring certain aisles helped me to discipline myself when I first started low carbing. Now I can do the same with a table full of food. :D Yaaaay!

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
6.7 again this morning. My MFBS seems to be getting lower now, which is good. I'm just over 4 months since diagnosis and back then my MFBS was 9 and 10 when I first started testing. So am chuffed with that. But have just had breakfast of sausage, black pud and tomato and I ate two Hovis Digestive biscuits (first time I've tried a sweet biscuit in 4 months) and wow do I have a headache now! My mouth is tingling and my head feels awful yet my BS isn't particularly high at 8.5 an hour after eating. But boy do I feel yuk.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
7.0 this morning. Last evening I had a bowl of home made soup which contained butterbeans and sweetcorn. That's the first time I've eaten sweetcorn for 4 months and I won't be eating it again. :think:

lilla

Dislikes
The usual, bigots; dictators........
Hi Grace,
I have just purchased a SD code free, and the readings are higher than The Accu check monitor i started off with, i see your readings are about the same as mine, now im wondering if the codefree monitor might be better even though its a higher reading as it seems to have a consistant readi8ng through out the day, usually 7.0 - 7.2 where as the accu chek ranges from 5. something to 8. Did yoou find this too, that the SD codefree is steadier in its readings?

I have come back to thw forum as i seem to be getting lazy and a little dispondent with my diet, so need some uplifting again. I have been having all sorts of house hold catastrophies for weeks now, finally no heating no hot water, luckily I still have my computer, so i headed here.

You are being very staunch and diligent i must say with all the testing and thinking about sleep patterns, I would like to turn my attention to supplements next, but what with christmas and my house falling to pieces i just have not got the space.

Different monitors though? different results, still very confusing. :crazy:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
My MFS have been in the 7s and 8s lately. This mornings was 8.7 which is high for me now.

I'm not eating anything naughty, with the exception of a packet of crisps yesterday, but that doesn't usually put me in the 8s. What's different about the past couple of weeks is that I've been on a full time course and it's been quite stressful to actually get there as it's in the city centre and I've been stressed about either finding parking, or I've had to walk long distances and been getting out of breath. And the biggest stress was getting on a packed train the other day and ended up having a panic attack when I got off the train. I can't do crowds at all. So I've had to work out several different routes to get me to this course and wondered if that's the reason my BS is higher than usual because I'm not eating anything out of the ordinary, in fact I'm probably eating less and definitely exercising more.

:think: