How often do you test on pump?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

I was suprised by my new hospital suggesting I test my bg's just 4 times a day. They didnt like idea if writing to gp either to ask for more strips.... (new gp fantastic)...

So as a general question.. Out of interest only... How often do other forum members test??

When I don't use my cgm, I use 10 a day... How does this compare to others?

Trina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who don't try, negative thinking
Must admit prior to going on the pump I was testing equal amount if not more as I was having hypos and not realising it. However being on the pump my control is so much better, so don't test as often. However having said that my surgery were rationing the strips until my diabetes team intervened.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
donnellysdogs said:
Hi

I was suprised by my new hospital suggesting I test my bg's just 4 times a day. They didnt like idea if writing to gp either to ask for more strips.... (new gp fantastic)...

So as a general question.. Out of interest only... How often do other forum members test??

When I don't use my cgm, I use 10 a day... How does this compare to others?
I'm prescribed 6 a day, I think that's the normal amount for someone on a pump in France; actually don't know if it is limited but I know that's what the hospital prescribed to all of us on the pump course. Sometimes I only use 4; actually those days are more frequent now. On others with extra variables (odd meals, lots of exercise etc) then I'll use more. Normally it averages to just under 6 a day.
When I first started on the pump I was experimenting with running long distances. Then I used a lot more, I bought the extra myself. Even during exercise I use far less now as I tend to anticipate/ treat falling glucose rather than always testing for it,

VickiT11979

Depends how involved I'm being, but at least 6 tests a day, I think "normal" is 7-8 & at the moment, when I'm really struggling with my basal (which I may post about later) I'm testing every 1-2hrs over a fasting period of 7-8hrs, plus before & after eating, plus any driving...I actually did 14 tests yesterday which does sound excessive :( .
I'm getting a free trial of CGMS with the Animas vibe in 5 days, only 1 or 2 sensors, but am 100% going to self fund either that or the Medtronic CGM from next March, cos my control just fluctuates too much & I'm terrified my GP practice will stop my strips!
The dietician at the hospital I saw 6 months ago told me to stop testing so much, but I do use all the info from each test.

Vicki

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Me too for minimum of 8 a day when not using cgm.. Can be up to 14 if driving and basal testing too..

I was starting to think I was OTT... Bur have only got better, I believe ... Not from pump usage.. But cgm and/or more testing... But .. That only my individual thoughts....

Would be intersting to see average tests v qty of strips...
Wonder if research ever done on this???

I know a youngster that gets a 100 a week.. So I also guess we are still working on postcode lotterys and diffferent gp attitudes...

iHs

Since I started using the Combo pump Ive gone from doing 6 bg tests per day on MDI to approx 8-12 per day pumping.

I fail to see how diabetics can get their basal rates ok hour by hour without bg testing and how can insulin to carb ratios be worked out if bg tests are not done.

4 tests per day is worrying laughable but is verging on being dangerous for pumping and MDI and I definately will not be using a pump or MDI anymore unless I can also use a trustworthy cgm. The only good thing about 4 tests per day is that it does save sore fingertips and will just about save pumpers from DKA but even that is questionable.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Minimum 10 per day for me

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have got one little finger that just wont give blood..
Not using cgm at moment as it's readings aren't consistent with my pump... And overnight the cgm reads hypo levels when pump says 5 - 7 levels... So back to finger testing again...
Has anybody else got a finger that isso hardened off ( at least I think thats the cause) it just doesnt supply enough blood .. Or no blood??!!

Spearmint

I get 350 strips a month for my daughter but that took some arguing and hospital interference!!

I find when i test her overnight then sometimes the blood pours out and sometimes it just doesn't come out at all.
I have noticed that during the day she must have used the 'pads' rather than the edges sometimes as her skin is different there and sort of hard and a different colour.

iHs

donnellysdogs said:
I have got one little finger that just wont give blood..
Not using cgm at moment as it's readings aren't consistent with my pump... And overnight the cgm reads hypo levels when pump says 5 - 7 levels... So back to finger testing again...
Has anybody else got a finger that isso hardened off ( at least I think thats the cause) it just doesnt supply enough blood .. Or no blood??!!

If you are using the Multiclix finger pricker that will be your problem. Get yourself another pricker that has better depth settings than the Multiclix. I dont think the lancets are up to much. Also, try pricking the palm of your hand (bottom of thumb) and try to get hand warmish first...

ingrid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Presumably you need to test when you get up and before you go to bed, which on 4 a day leaves 2 strips for the rest of the day! And yet on a pump we're supposed to test at least before each meal in order to calculate boluses (& 2 hours after). I guess you wouldn't need to test quite so much if you had set your basals and ratios, and just happened to have very stable diabetes (!) and a very predictable & regular lifestyle ;) but I would worry about DKA possibilities if I only had 2 spare strips per day to cover both day & night.

Hope you get it sorted.

ingrid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
PS dying to know which hospital you're at which doesn't appear to be clued up on pumping needs!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not allowed to give name of hosp.. But I guarantee that they told me to do 4 tests a day...and previously at all my other hospitals my Dsn wrote to my gp requesting that they provided 300 strips a month.. And the gos did as instructed.
The dsn at this new hospital didnt on my 1st requst write to my new gp. On my 2nd request she stated that she could not tell the gps to give me x amount of strips as they have budgets to keep within.. The only thing she could do was to request that he supports my pump usage....
In fact I went to gp practice the next day and the dsn there had no hesitation over 300 strips..
At my previous gps it has always been a battle to get strips.. I have moved a fair few times!!-lol!!.. So I was trying to pre-empt and merely asking for support from hosp dsn going from previous experience.
I have had a cgm, but it wasnt giving accurate recordings compared to my pump.. So Until the cgm company inform me how they are going to resolve the matter of the inaccuracies I will not use the cgm...

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
My Son tests about 10-12 times per day, but saying that he tests more when in school in the day and less in evening and at weekends. In fact I have to TELL HIM to test over the weekends especially. I thought he was getting paranoid with his testing but from reading other replies it seems quite a lot of you do up to 10 a day so I will change my views now on his paranoia :lol:

victorhill

well this has just opened my eyes
on pump six years now i can get by on 100 strips from GP
but i also use that wonderfull cassette machine the one that holds 50 strips i buy these about every 2 months
average cost s £29-00 per cassette or now my son has been buying on line under £20-00
i use this when driveing and going out
NO FIDDLE ABOUT WITH STRIPS JUST OPEN UP FINGER PRICK AND THEN WAIT FOR RESULTS CLOSE THE CHECK RESULT AND AWAY I GO
as my normal pump is bluetooth i have to use strips out of a round plastic bottle these are proved by the nhs ..
but what i have just seen on your forum some have up to 300 per month say 10 a day poor fingers must be sore

i use this if blood sugars are to high on 3 daysin a row i will up insulin the time block before or up basil 4 hours and the samu goes if goes if it is low the time block before 4 hours basil also carb counting can be out also time taken for carb to work
at THE COST AVERAGE PER STRIP IS .00.45/50 PENCE PER STRIP WHAT IS BEST TO MANY OR TO LITTLE ???? YOU TELL ME
good luck good health good xmas to all vic hill age 67

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Whats the wonderful cassettte machine?

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I test on average 4 a day although I've been on a pump 6 years so most of my basals and carb ratios are pretty much sorted. If I'm not feeling great then I test up to 15 a day although this is quite rare. I get 250 strips from my doctor and this lasts me about every 2 months. Just recently not been well at all so had to get 500 in the space of a month, doctor has never said anything about how many strips I use I would like to see him try to tell me to test less if i need to test more.

Vicky let me know how you get on with the vibe and cgm I wanted to consider one myself to help me out with hormone fluctuations etc so would only want one for 6 months to a year so i might be able to borrow one and then pay for the sets myself.

IHS It completely depends on what each person needs to test. I've never been anywhere near DKA on the 6 1/2 years I've had my pump. To start off with I needed loads of tests but my basals and what I do now are fairly regular so 4 tests a day is fine for me which doesn't mean to say that I can't test more when I need to. I've really good hypo awarness but I've also honned my skills so i can tell when I'm above 10 if I was at 15 or 16 I feel really rubbish and would need a lie down. My sugars don't do this much beacuse I've got my basals set properly and plan ahead with temporary basals when I 'm doing sports or sitting on my bum all day. If people still need to test 10-12 times a day after being on a pump for as long as I have there must be either underlying problems or basal and carb ratios are not set correctly. I've also got other health problems which aggrevate my blood sugars but I've still managed to get my HbA1c to 6.9% because of the hard work and lots of testing I put in at the start of pumping. If people want to test 10-12 times a day to reassure themselves I don't see a problem with that either whatever works for each individual person. Personally I wouldn't have the spare time or energy to test that much, day in, day out for the rest of my life I'd prefer to minimise the space I have to give to my diabetes and that's what reassures me.

victorhill

hi d dogs
now you asked what the wonderful cassette machine is ..
well here goes.
if you look in boots or any large chemists you may see them for sale the make is ACCU-CHEK MOBILE TAKE 50 TESTS CASSETTE .. there is a new model slimmer version ..

the older type did have a drum with 17 tests in did use that model say ten years back

but you must clean hands well wash or gell you can put results in for before meal or after ..
also you connect to laptop and download results tell you how many test are left average say for 90 days or 7 days
good display look on line accu-chek mobile
i have bought spare machine cost vary all from boots and cassette are online google it
or ask at you diabetic clinic
good luck merry xmas
vic