Sick and Tired !

glenmoray

I've been a type 1 diabetic since 1977 and in all these years worked and never had to claim DLA. Diabetes if you look after yourself should allow you to live a normal life. It is annoying to hear people going on about benefits they are trying to claim. Claiming more benefits makes people think we are all disabeled with our condition. This is the biggest load of rubbish out. We get all our medical supplies free, why do we need to claim more benefits. Diabetes is not a disability look after yourself and allow diabetics to get on with their lifes without people putting more restrictions on us!

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I totally agree with what you have said I don't understand why people want to claim DLA just because they are diabetic it's absurd. I would never class myself as disabled just because I'm a diabetic!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I agree that very many of us with diabetes do live full and normal lives and would in no way consider ourselves disabled. However we have to be careful about generalising as there will be others who, though no fault of their own, have quite serious complications because of diabetes and would certainly be considered disabled. They are fully deserving of some additional help when they cannot work etc. because of this very serious chronic condition.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is a massive generalisation and somewhat unfair.

Everybody deals with their condition differently. And many people have other medical conditions that interfer/interact with their diabetes and make it very difficult to control well. For these people, their lives can be utterly devastated by dealing with all these things and sometimes means they're unable to work or function normally.

I agree that if you are able to control your diabetes well then there's nothing stopping you from leading a normal life and there's no reason to claim benefits. But that's not everyone and we must try not to lump everyone into the same box. For the people who have a more complicated situation, claiming benefits can make a huge difference to their lives!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi glenmoray, whilst diabetes is classed as a disability it does not generally cause people to become unable to work but there are unfortunately many people who suffer diabetic complications such as blindness, heart disease and amputations due to gangrenous ulcers caused by bad circulation and those who suffer these types of complications need all the help and support they are entitled to and more IMHO.

I am not at all religious but the saying "there but for the grace of god go I "rings very true in the case of diabetic complications and it is foolish to believe that they can not affect you or the next man/woman or child.

There is also a good case for benefits for the parents of children with T1 diabetes who have to give up much of their own lives in order to help keep their little ones safe, far more than most parents are called to do, often going without sleep in order to keep a watch over their children making it awkward in many cases for both parents to hold down full time employment. Of course those children need to be helped and educated to look after their own care in time but until they are old enough to reasonably care for themselves I dont see a problem with benefits being offered to those who need them.

Its a shame you cant show a little more empathy towards those less fortunate then yourself rather than posting that those talking about benefits are annoying you. This is after all a support forum.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Sid has my support with this opinion

Rob

claire69

Hi everyone
My son was diagnoed 2years ago aged 11 at the time, it was a rollercoaster for us and still is with hormones kicking in we never have 2 days the same. I claimed DLA after been advised by our nurse im a single mum of 3 and work, but everytime we have ended up in hospital i loose money by being off sick so to be honet im pleased of the extra income to cover my wage and keep our head afloat. I dont see him as disabled but it certionly helps us at the moment
Claire
mother of son with T1

SueR

I suggest those moaning about benefits try living on them and see how they manage. The majority of those who claim them don't choose to be disabled or dependant on the state. It happens and they have little choice but to accept the pittance that the government offers. Sorry but I am so very sick of the wingers, people claim DLA for a reason and it's not a benefit that is awarded easily either, so please give it a rest...

There is a simple solution.. Abolish benefits, build workhouses and send all of those claiming benefits into them, then the wingers would be happy, on second thoughts they wouldn't because their taxes would still be paying for those living in them.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to agree with Sid on this one. (Wait... WHAT?!?) :shock:

Perhaps you've found it easy to control your diabetes, glenmoray - but I know there are other T1's who find it extremely difficult. Maybe if everyone had diabetes at the same level as you, control for them would be easy too.

But everyones diabetes IS NOT the same level. Maybe you are one of the lucky ones?

Lucky you.

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello all. I can see both sides of this but I a inclined to agree with Patch and Suer. I* am on DLA but not firstly for diabetes although being type 1 does help maintain my claim. Suer has a point many people are quick to criticise those who are on benefits simply some resent that because they have to work. Before I was on DLA I was on 24,000 per year and consider that I have personally paid a lot in taxes and national insurance and the drop to benefits and trying to live counting the single pounds day by day is difficult to say the least if you have any at all. Too many people listen to the conservatives and other politicians going on about people on benefits and lets face it they are not short of money let them try living on benefits for a year being reduced to absolute poverty. Yes there are users and cheats in the benefit system but too many refuse to see that is a minority and genuine claimants see these sort of comments as unfair. My advice is think before you criticise or at least word it better and give those who are genuine some sort of break.

Simon aka Cobra3164

SueR

Thanks Cobra3164

Here's something to think about...

Job Seekers Allowance is £71 per week, so here's a challenge for all of the criticisers, live on that, whilst actively seek work - that means applying for jobs, travelling to any interviews that may come up - pay gas, electric, water, tv license and phone bills - you need a phone to ring for jobs. Oh and don't forget that you are an insulin dependant diabetic and should be eating a healthy diet. Any extra benefits given help, even if it just helps to cover the basics like food.

Give people who claim benefits a break please, life is hard enough without the wingers...

Kerry-Michelle

I personally dont claim benefits but I know what it is like for people.. my mother and father where both disabled and growing up I had to become mum of the house with doing everything and we struggled as a family of 5 my dad became classed as disabled due to being involved in a serious accident at work which wasn't his fault and it left him with a shattered ankle and out of work for over 5 years as the NHS didn't fix his ankle properly, my mother on the other had developed arthritis which was underlying... We didn't know about it until she broke her leg and it didn't heal properly... So there me looking after my mum and my dad my sister who at the time was 8 and my other sister was 2 years old... I had to do the shopping the school runs the housework and feeding everyone at the age of 11 myself... I found it hard and so did my parents as they wanted us to have happy lives and not become carers...

I am now 20 and I was diagnosed with type 1, 8 months ago, I work a full time job and I live with my other half who also works a full time job, but we struggle now in the times of today with having specific types of food and bills to pay especially in winter as I am always freezing however I still don't claim anything..

I agree that some people are not entitled to benefits but still receive them also diabetics and others that do receive DLA still have hard times as the government likes to put the prices of food and the cost of living up and taxes up but the don't put the minimum wage up or benefits up as the "top dogs" receive it all.... I think both sides of the story need to be looked at here...

I am grateful at the fact that I get my prescription free but somepeople need more help than just a prescription...

Sorry for rambling..

Kerry xx

Nanaclaire

I to am on DLA not through having diabetes.I worked for 18 yrs until I developed heart disease, kidney problems It is not easy the DWP now have you in for medicals or home visit medicals I was on incapacity benefit now known as ESA after being out work through ill health since 2003 they decided I was fit to work and put me in the work related category I now have to attend interviews to help me get back to work A COMPLETE JOKE I have constant angina pain ( least little thing brings an attack on) failing kidneys and oestoarthritis where would I get a job Us people on benefits are afraid to go out in case they r spying on you So trust me it is not easy being on benefits I would much rather not be on them but we have too live

blackcat79

Well i just have to add my view here. I feel that type 1s have different life style as can have more or little meds where type 2s have to rreally watch their foid n carb intake. Ive bn diabetic for 9 months now on meds n low carb diet but yet still no great control over bloods im a single working mum yet have bn on sick leave twice due to high BS n the effects it has on me. Feel like i have a hangover every morning no
Energy n sick from meds. I dont get my strips free n i bought my own meter as docs said i didnt need to test as only type 2! Well i do n i feel awful every day n wish i didnr have to go to work i run around on BS
Between 11 n 18 mostly n it is hard work. Think everyone is different n ur statment is un true n wrong.
Just my view as it is urs.

Prosperity89

My mum got DLA for me when I was younger, and I get it now but it wouldn't surprise me if they took it away. I agree, I don't really know why they give some people it, but it helps when I need to take time off work and they don't pay me for taking the time off. There's also petrol, parking, the fact that I need breaks at work and need to spend money on stuff in case I have a hypo. Even though you can get meters for free, I'm having to buy one tomorrow because my current one messed up, and they can be expensive.

Besides, it isn't anything about claiming you're disabled or not, sometimes diabetes falls into the category of disabled but there have been a few times when I'm filling out job application forms and it asks if I'm disabled and I never know if I should put it or not. Diabetes doesn't actually "affect my day-to-day tasks" although it is a lifelong, life-threatening disease. This government royally screws us over any way they can at the minute so I'm going to happily receive what I'm entitled to. I don't like labeling myself as anything, but me claiming DLA has got nothing to do with anyone else, and if you're entitled to it, I don't see why you shouldn't ask for it.