gliclazide

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I am type 2 controlled by metformin 4x500mg and I used to be on gliclazide 3x80mg.Due to good hbaic results my gp has gradually stopped the gliclazide, since he stopped the last one though my daily blood glucose tests have gone back into double figures and I`m wondering whether to start taking gliclazide again as I still have some left, or wait until my next hbaic in two months time.

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
If your in double figures now you should see your DN or GP. I have learn't the hard way and have suffered alot in waiting. Dont make the same mistake as you will start to feel very unwell.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I used to take Gliclazide, but went to low carb instead. My numbers today are better than they were using Glic + the NHs recommended diet. Did you ever read the lealet in the box.? I did and didn't like what it said there.
Hana

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
I came off glic for a couple of months and went to sitigliptin. That didn't agree with me so went to pioglitazone and glic. The only problem i had with glic was the weight gain.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the replies, have just made an appointment to see the nurse tomorrow.

jude67

im on 2x daily 500mg metformin, was started on gliclazide 40mg 5 days ago ive had two hypos readings of 3.3 Tuesday and 3.6 today, even after id had a cheese omelette, a few hrs b4 tht, why is this happening?? i was put on gliclazide as my bs was 8 and 9 in the mornings,
Should i stop taking the gliclazide, im ringing my doc tomorrow to ask for further advice, :eek:

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jude

Are you taking a total of 4 x 500mg metformin a day or only 2? If you are only taking 2 then it is strange that gliclazide has been added as the amount of metformin could be increased.

Have you made changes to your diet since starting the gliclazide such as cutting the amount of carbs you are eating? I'd get in touch with my GP as it seems the gliclazide is dropping you too low. The other alternative would be to eat more carbs.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with Denise that it might have been better to double the dose of Metformin. If you are having that reaction with only 40mg of Gliclazide then your pancreas is in a good state. If you are overweight and insulin resistant then Metformin is the better drug and you may not need the Glic at all? Yes, ring the Doc.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
It may be that you would benefit from one of the newer medications such as victoza, byetta or bydureon.

Regards

Doug

redmate

i am having allergy issues with sr metformin and the doc and nurse want me to go on gliclazide but i dont want to put on weight, also said about insulin that helps weight loss, have any of you had trouble with metformin or are on the insulin that helps with weight loss? any reply or help would be greatly appreciatted thanks :)