Is Apidra working for you ?

mbebrown

I been useing apidra for week now at meal time but its not bring my b/s down at all started on 10 units first week and higher to 35 units other day and it still not bring it down as any one had same problem ?
my Lantus is working ok at moment 120 units brings me level for morning its just meal times
plus on metformin :shock:

I did my blood after dinner i was 20.2 and gave myself 35units of apidra and then two hour later took blood again it was 24.2
Off to nurse at 2pm today and run through it all again

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hope you find out how to tackle this successfully and hope things go well
with your appointment with your nurse today.

Please let us know how things transpire , it can help other Apidra users .

Anna.

mbebrown

Went and see Dr and told her about it not working for me so she took me off it and trying me on novorapid and it its working so far she told me to start with 20 units with meal and b/s as started to come back down after a hour of injection
So I think Apidra just don't suit me
This diabetes is a mind field what's good for one is rubbish for another it have a go see if it works for me ?
But at last my blood sugar is not going above 20 in last two days so hopefully with a fine trim of insulin I can get it back on track

Hope this mite. Help others
I will report back later to tell you all if it's stills working or not

Mike :D

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Thanks for your update.
Hope the change over is successsful for you.

It is a world of balance and can be hard with finding the right insulin that works for you .
Not easy when things dont suit or agree with your needs.

I sympathsise as I had to change insulins also.
Reacted to the preservatives in the levemir insulin.

You will know when you have hit success with the right insulin.
By how you are feeling AND your BG readings coming down to safer readings.
Sadly it isnt easy whilst things dont agree or suit.

I hope things settle down quickly for you - so you can enjoy the xmas next week. :thumbup:

Anna.

bennyg70

Dislikes
CHEESE!!!
Ive just posted else where regarding this.

I too have been switched to apridra, and have found it very unpredictable. Somedays its like injecting water, and some im hypo within 15 mins.

My post was along these lines..

I dont feel im getting on that well with apridra since switching. I find it unpredictable, and sometimes just like injecting blooming water. If I eat something with a little fat in it then Ill have good bloods post 2 hours, but then raises after.. And it does absolutley nothing for me if I eat a high fat meal where I know Im going to spike 3 or 4 hours later. The hypos can be pretty nasty. Especially if I eat at say 7 or 8 (A meal out) and the spike may happen when im asleep, its very hard to time an apidra injection which gets into my system quickly and out within 3 hours.

However, Its good for corrections, and good for sweet snacks such as cookies & high gi foods such as baked potatoes etc.

So , Im going to give both a try. I have about 10 pens of nova in the fridge, and apidra on prescription.

What are your thoughts? Do you think Im safe to do this? I want to give it a try before approaching my DSN to get both on prescrption.

*** Ive also read through search on the net that people have had similar experiences.

Ive found a well timed novarapid injection is far more effective than apidra for spikes and consistency.. But thats just me.

Ben

Paul Oak

You seem to be on a very very high doses of insulin, I was the same, on a never ending cycle of increasing doses, then in the summer did the DAPHNE course and within days my insulin started to come down, I was on 90 lantus and about 20-30 humalog each meal, now Im on 13 lantus twice a day and between 6 - 12 humalog each meal, and its still falling,my control is now good, and getting even better. Tell your GP or diabetes team to get you on a DAPHNE course, it will make it all clear to you. At the very least you should be cutting your carbohydrate, and using carb counting to get out of this constant increasing dosage

GlazedDoughnuts

Paul Oak said:
You seem to be on a very very high doses of insulin, I was the same, on a never ending cycle of increasing doses, then in the summer did the DAPHNE course and within days my insulin started to come down, I was on 90 lantus and about 20-30 humalog each meal, now Im on 13 lantus twice a day and between 6 - 12 humalog each meal, and its still falling,my control is now good, and getting even better. Tell your GP or diabetes team to get you on a DAPHNE course, it will make it all clear to you. At the very least you should be cutting your carbohydrate, and using carb counting to get out of this constant increasing dosage

Would you be kind enough to explain how the DAPHNE course helped reduce the amount of Insulin you require?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
bennyg70 said:
What are your thoughts? Do you think Im safe to do this? I want to give it a try before approaching my DSN to get both on prescrption.

Personally I would stick with one as mistakes can happen, however if you feel confident enough to run both then you could discuss this with your HCP. I've never tried Apidra as I don't have any issues with Novorapid and find it works OK for the foods I eat.

mbebrown

Its been 6 days now and my blood sugar as not gone above 9 so i think its working for me that is testing two hours after each meal :shock:
I have not had a hypo yet (touch wood) with any insulin pen
I will ask d/n next time about DAPHNE course as you sound like the same as me with high levels of insulin.

But all i can say is Apidra did not work for me at all and novorapid is doing the job for me :D

So am carrying on and fine trimming insulin now
9am 6.4 b/s
2pm 7.4 b/s
7pm 8.7 b/s
10pm 8.3 b/s

All i can say is its all down to your body and every bodys different its finding what works for you personal only think i can advise if you try some think different have someone around to keep a eye on you for a time