cardiovascular disease risk

Cowboyjim

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-12/wfbm-ssh122012.php

Study shows heart calcium scan predictive of diabetes-related death from cardiovascular disease

Current medical guidelines recommend treating all diabetes patients as high risk, but the Wake Forest Baptist study found that CAC can identify diabetes patients who are at very high risk for developing potentially fatal cardiovascular disease, as well as those who are at low risk.

"Our observations challenge accepted medical knowledge that all people with diabetes have the same risk. CAC is key in predicting the specific risk level," said Donald Bowden, Ph.D., professor of biochemistry at Wake Forest Baptist and senior author of the study, which is published online in the December issue of the journal Diabetes Care.

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
This sounds interesting and I would definately like to know if I am one of those with calcium build-up in the arteries of my heart.
It states "it should provide more effective treatments and hopefully improve outcomes" for people with diabetes. Perhaps and please excuse my cynical nature but I dont see NICE approving CT scans for every diabetic anytime soon or ever for that matter. You would have tattoo the long term savings on their arms before they took a blind bit of notice.