Do you think I am diabetic? I would be grateful for any inpu

red1

My father was diagnosed with diabetes before I was born, and my mother after. I have been ill for about two years now on and off. It always seems to start when I exert myself, be it sports or just long walks, sometimes even if I get stressed out. My symptoms are chills, fatigue, chest pain, sore throat and a few other symptoms. Went to the doctor for many different tests (I was told it might be acid, my heart, liver, lungs. I did all the tests that come along with it, bronchoscopy, endoscopy, ECG, diabetes test and a few others) and they all came back negative.

I gave up on the doctor and just bought a blood glucose monitoring system. First time I used it showed a result of 4.4 mmol/l and that was about 2 hours after eating I did it again about 3 hours later and the machine just said LO. I thought it might be wrong, so I did it another 4 times and they all showed LO. I thought I will try it after having a snack, I had a banana, 200 ml of apple juice, 2 slices of wholemeal bread and some yoghurt. So I did another test about 20 mins after my last LO result and it showed a 6.2.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Do you think I am diabetic? I would be grateful for any

Hi red1

Well by the sounds of it its definatley NOT diabetes there is no way your sugar levels would drop so low. It sounds like your body is maybe producing to much insulin or you have a very fast metabolism. Low sugars like in diabetics when they have HYPOS suffer with chills, shaking and tiredness etc... Have you mentioned to your doctor about your low sugar readings?

I know my hubby if he misses breakfast he can feel dizzy and shaky, i once done a blood glucose test on him with my kit when he felt like that and it came out at 3.4 which is still low but once he had eaten some chocolate and had some carbs it went back to normal.

tracey167

Fraddycat

Hi Red, none of us are doctors so we cannot diagnose you, but I would say that if I drank apple juice and ate a banana my BG readings would be much much higher than yours after 20 minutes. I don't eat bananas or drink apple juice because both cause me very high BG spikes. If you can tollerate both foods and have a reading of only 6.2 in my opinion you are not diabetic.

red1

Hi tracey167

Thanks for your reply. Ill look up some of the things you suggested it might be. I plan to see my doctor tomorrow.

Hi Fraddycat

Thanks for the information.

GlazedDoughnuts

Call the machine manufacturer and enquire what range is meant by "LO"
If you're falling below normal levels that needs to be investigated by a health professional...

Napolyon1

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Go see your GP and ask him or her to send you for tests Red1.