Hypostop etc - Type 1 question

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do all of you type 1 chaps have this on hand or something similar? I currently have not been given anything and was told by my dsn that I wouldn't need it yet - is that the case or should I ask my doctor when I next see him? It has been niggling me. To be fair I haven't needed anything yet (6 months on) as I have always identified my hypos.

Louise

scottishkate

Hiya,

Nah I don't have the stuff - tried it once and it made me gag :(

I always have my lucozade glucose tabs on me and I've never in 20 years had a hypo so severe that I've needed assistance from anyone and I have gone very low before. I keep a bottle of lucozade handy next to my bed just in case I was ever to need a massive dose of sugar. If you feel you need it because you think you may not recognise you're going hypo and might need someone to help you out then just ask your gp for it. You can also but it from the phamacy.

Katie.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya,
i have glucogel on repeat and used it once ,it was awfull lol but did the trick,only problem is it goes out of date so instead i have a bottle of lucozade and always carry either lucozade tablets or glucotabs,3 of these is 12g and usually does the trick..although if you are unable to chew etc as i have been on a few occasions,jam in the side of your mouth and rubbing the cheek works well too :D amanda

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
it doesn't taste nice but it does the job very well.

I keep one in my drawer at work and in my bedside drawers.

To say that you "wont need it" is a bit like saying you're never going to have a hypo. Yes you can fix hypo's with other things... but if you're out and about with no money on you and you have nothing else... it works, and it actually works faster than anything else i've tried.

Lucozade tablets are the next best thing IMO when it comes to speed. But they are better for taste.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Louise
Just incase Andrew runs out of either lucozade or lucozade tabs at school he has an emergancy supply of jelly babies in the teachers drawer, 3=12g sugar, can you guess which remedy he prefers :)
Suzi x

Nemo

Either I am not that far gone that I am well enough to eat, in which case it's fruit pastelles for me. (I get a bit like a stroppy two year old when hypo'ing and if someone tried to give me hypogel I am just as likely to cross my arms and hold my mouth shut tight)

If I am not well enough for that, which has only ever been at night, then its glugagon. My husband 'threatens' me with 'the big orange needle' and if I resist, I eat, if not, he goes ahead and injects me.

caitycakes

I was also told at the clinic that I wouldn't need the gel or ketostix either. Don't know how I am supposed to test for ketones when ill if I don't have the **** strips.

Caitycakes x

sofaraway

I've only had it before when in hospital and it was disgusting, so I wouldn't want it for home. made me feel so sick, it does work though.

caity which meter do you use? you should definatly be able to check for ketones, ideally blood ketones, but if not then at least urine ketones.

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the replies. I have not been offered glugagon either so I have nothing in case it gets really bad. I have only been diagnosed since April so who know how I will be in the future.

I was given ketostix when I left the hospital after my DKA but when I asked the nurse at my GP's she said I shouldn't need them so when I put in my next repeat at the doctors I added it to the list and it is now on my repeats list.

I would just feel happier if I had something that my hubby could use in an emergency but they did not seem it think it would be necessary where as I feel that it would be quite easy for me to make a mistake at some point and need help.

I might ask my GP when I next see him. I just wanted to know what everyone else has as i do not know any one with diabetes to ask.

Thanks

Louise

jopar

I say we, as both hubby and I are T1 diabetics, have in our stock cupboard

Hypostop
guagogen injections
Clinistix

But we use Jelly Babies as our main form of hypo get off method...

Our preferred method, Jelly babies do come with problems though it so easy to lose count of how many jelly babies you've eaten :roll: and end up over treating and will power isn't an answer when hypo :lol:

The only time I gone to use the guagon injection (on Hubby) it was out of date so called the parimedics out....

The only time I've gone to use Hypostop on hubby, resulted in a near broken arm...

I had come home from work on a late shift, found hubby on settee drifting in and out of consionous, so conerreance to him at all... But tried to get near him with the Hypostop he came too became aggressive, grabing my arma nd twisting... I had to call the parimedics out, as I had warned control that Les was being very aggressive they also sent 2 local (very large) policmen to our house as well as back up for the parimedics :shock: there were there to arrest him and cuff him if the parmedics couldn't handle him or he became too violent :!:

It's the only time that I felt that I needed it rather than the usual feeding of Jelly Babies, and that was way back in the 90's...

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I normally use dextrose tablets but recently(at the end of a run) was given some freebie sachets of hypo fit, which according to the manufacturers is also available on prescription. Each sachet contains 13.5gms carbs and it comes in various flavours.I haven't used it yet but people who tried it at the end of the race said it ddin't taste bad.