Insulin before breakfast

RomaFree

I am not a diabetic!! However, my husband is and as I am the one who mostly goes on the internet, I hope you will forgive me asking questions? :shock:
He has been diabetic for many years but recently developed an infection (kidney) and was eventually rushed to hospital for 10 days.
He was on metformin but is presently on insulin (which he is most upset about!)
It is made clear on the instructions that his evening insulin must be taken 15-30 mins prior to his meal.
However, insulin in the morning is mentioned as "at breakfast" ??? :crazy:
I would be grateful if someone could maybe explain exactly what this means? How soon does he have to have breakfast afterwards, please?!! Or does this vary from person to person?
Many thanks.
ps it is type 2 he has if this makes a difference?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I'm type 2 on insulin and I have my insulin just before I dish my meals up. So at breakfast I have my insulin then put my cereal and milk in a bowl then eat. I've never been told to do it any other way. From what I read on these forums some people do it differently but that's what I do.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would think normally before meals in the same way as the evening dose. Insulin timings vary between types of insulin,

I would think from what you have written that he is probably on what is known as a mixed insulin. If so then the following applies (if it's something different then it dosen't !!! )

The time before depends on the exact mix he is using . The leaflet that comes with the pens should tell you the name and type
Here are some examples:
Pre-mixed: a combination of medium and short acting insulin e.g. Humulin M3
Pre-mixed (analogue): a combination of medium acting insulin and rapid acting analogue e.g.
Novomix 30, Humalog Mix 25 or 50

Here's some info produced for nurses about these types of insulins.
"The manufacturer mixes rapid or short-acting insulin with intermediate-acting basal insulin (medium). The person then injects the mixture before breakfast and again before their evening meal.
Typical mixes include
Humulin M3 (30 percent Humulin S and 70 percent Humulin I) ans Humalog Mix 25 (25 percent Humalog with 75 percent intermediate acting insulin).
The human insulin mixtures (ie Humalin M3 or other similar insulins,) should be injected approximately 30 minutes prior to meals; the analogue mixtures should be injected immediately before eating
( that's because the short acting insulin in M3 takes about 30 min to start working, the rapid insulin in the Novomix and humalog mixes start working much more quickly. )

Twice daily insulin regimes using human insulin mixes work best with regular eating patterns
This is best, they say for people who eat some some snacks they have inter-meal snacks and supper.
The short acting insulin will cover the first meal and snack after the injection,while the intermediate acting insulin will cover the second meal and snack.
They also say that for people that only eat three meals a day and do not snack or have supper, analogues are often better (less need for snacks)
http://www.rcn.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf ... 002254.pdf
Snacks are definitely something you need to ask about .

This is what's called the insulin profile which shows how it is released during the day .

Attachments

• mixed insulin profile.PNG
    mixed insulin profile.PNG
    7.8 KB · Views: 640

RomaFree

Thank you for the helpful replies!! He is still not well (having just been discharged from hospital) ad is having a sleep right now.
As soon as he gets up, I will ask him for the paperwork that came with the pen so that I can determine which type of insulin he is on? Never realised there were different types so I am learning already!! :clap:
He does have an appt at the hospital diabetic clinic on Monday so he can ask questions then but we did need an idea just for the weekend ......isn't it always weekend when you need to know anything?!! :roll:
Thank you!!

RomaFree

Sorry for delay in returning here with the info you asked for.....my husband is on Novomix 30. Presently his dose am prior to bearkfast being 32 and prior to evening meal, 28. So, he should wait 15-30 mins before eating?
I am hoping that we will get in some sort of routine with all this, life was simple on Metformin! (his levels were quite good too unyil he was rushed to hospital with a kidney infection and his BG spiralled to 33..... :crazy: From there on, it has been insulin.
He is finding that all this is ruling his life, please tell me that it gets easier?!! Meal times are a worry for me too.....I get quite frantic about it!!
Ok, feel better now for just asking!!

SueR

I take my insulin when the meals are ready to be eaten, so in the morning I have the meal ready to be eaten, inject and then eat. Same in the evening.

One bit of helpful advice that my DSN gave me is that insulin can be injected within a 15 min period after eating, so if you are eating out you have 15 mins after the meal to inject. This is something the I have found useful because, I'm under no pressure waiting for food to arrive and then have to slip off to inject.

Life does get easier - there are 2 injecting type 2's in this household using different insulin's and we manage. It is very stressful at first but as you get used to it all, it does get easier and you fall into a routine.

Members on this forum are life savers and it's here I come when I'm stressed and need support. I know I can always find an answer to any questions I have, plus support. I'd be lost without all of this, so thanks everyone.

RomaFree

Sue, thank you for that kind and helpful advice!! Must admit to being a bit tearful here recently!!
We "used to" enjoy eating out and due to what you said, may be able to again!! :D
Since reading the food labels on everything just recently, all I can say is that small wonder there are so many diabetics!! :roll: Really do not see why some foods contain sugar!!
Thanks again! Ana x

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
RomaFree said:
I am not a diabetic!! However, my husband is and as I am the one who mostly goes on the internet, I hope you will forgive me asking questions? :shock:
He has been diabetic for many years but recently developed an infection (kidney) and was eventually rushed to hospital for 10 days.

Hello ana.
You can ask 'ALL' the questions you need ...
We are here for you as well as your husband.

It is a lot to take in to begin with - over time it all does start to make sense,
and you will settle into a routine that suits your husband and you too .

We all understand it can overwhelm you with worry and stress also (((hug)))
You have both had stress, worry and illness to cope with.
Try taking things just a step at a time - it makes it easier to cope together.

Once you know the insulin he is using pop back, let us know [what it is] and someone can help you more .
The basal insulins can have variable onset times, this is when the insulin reaches its highest
activity .

What is your husband's normal wake up time, and his breakfast consist of ?

It will get easier as things begin to make sense :thumbup:

Anna.