Can you get a pump on the NHS??

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
New to this site, been type 1 diabetic since I was 10 years old, that's for 30 years now. Been having a terrible time with controll for ovr a year now with unexplained highs no matter what I do...High used to be 12mmol, now a high is 18mmol +......tried everything and I am all over the place....anyway I know very little about pumps and I have never been keen on having something attached to my body permamently.....Do you think it would make my control easier? Can I get a pump on the NHS????? Please don't say my controll may be due to Somogyi effect and the likes...it isn't. I reckon hte longer you have this condition the more difficult it is to control?? I am on novo rapid and levemir, was on lantus previously....the gargline insulins have not changed my life.

Nemo

I went on a pump about 3 yrs ago now, fully funded by the NHS, it reduced my Hba1C considerably and provided much greater control.

As for having it attached permanently, you don't even notice it after a week. Occasionally mine comes unclipped from my belt and swings about and I occasionally get into a know during the night, but this is rare and certainly doesn't bother me!

I was also using Novoraid and Levimir prior to pumping and now have Novorapid in my pump. even though I could efficiently carb count as thats what I did at diagnosis, I still had to attend a daphne style course before they would issue the pump, other than that, for me it was plain sailing in obtaing one, but some do appear to have trouble.

Speak to you GP/DSN and get the ball rolling!

jopar

picci

Yes but sadly most find that they have a battle on there hands to get one... It took me 2 1/2 years to get mine which I have had since last June....

If you are interested in pumping have a look at http://www.input.me.org it will give you the information that you need i.e NICE guidelines ect, they will be able to tell you your nearest pump consultant (you might have to e-mail or phone for this information) but the never take long to get back to you.

You will need to be able to carb count, some hospitals insist that you attend a carb counting course, which is sort of thre way of stalling a pump as in many cases I've heard that someone has been given the go ahead for pump therapy but they have to attend the course first and well the next available which is 18 months time eek...

There is a lot of work involved with the pump, more so when you start it can be like starting being a diabetic again... But as with most things the moe effort you put in at the begining the better the reward...

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
Can you carb count?

Do you have regular Hypo's?

If so then you should stand a good chance... all you can do is ask, and they are not allowed to deny you a pump on a grounds of funding. Read the NICE guidelines and see if you fit the bill.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3482

I asked for a pump not long ago and was very suprised that there was no resistance... i just need to do a carb counting course first which starts next year.

It seems to be a bit of a post code lottery in the UK though...

Good luck!

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the replies guys, I have been doing ''dafne'' type counting since I was diagnosed 30 years ago! Now it has a fancy name, as if it is something new.......Going to see my consultant soon, so I will see what he says..one last question, how do you add your HBA1c to your profile so it shows up with the insulin I'm on???? New to this site .. :?

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
User Control panel... edit your signature. :)

Good luck with your appointment.

pumpboy

Hi, My husband has been a diabetic for nearly 40yrs. Got a pump on nhs 15mths ago after years of bad control. Sometimes the readings were too high to register. This has given him a new lease of life. Took to it really easily. Wish he had had it before to stop the damage he now has to eyes and kidneys. We had to fight for it but consultant went on course and was finally persuaded. It is obviously very expensive but as he hasn't been in hospital since the pump so he will be saving them money in the long run. Don't give up it will be worth it.

pumpinpatsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I started on my pump less than a week ago, having enquired about one at the end of July. I was astonished at the speed at which I got mine, and the fact there was no resistance whatsoever. My hospital are in pump fever at the moment, and are getting people on it very quickly - about 2 or 3 people a week.

I guess it depends on your PCT to an extent.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
New to this site, been type 1 diabetic since I was 10 years old, that's for 30 years now. Been having a terrible time with controll for ovr a year now with unexplained highs no matter what I do...High used to be 12mmol, now a high is 18mmol +......tried everything and I am all over the place....anyway I know very little about pumps and I have never been keen on having something attached to my body permamently.....Do you think it would make my control easier? Can I get a pump on the NHS????? Please don't say my controll may be due to Somogyi effect and the likes...it isn't. I reckon hte longer you have this condition the more difficult it is to control?? I am on novo rapid and levemir, was on lantus previously....the gargline insulins have not changed my life.
Pumps are a machine, and machines are programmed/operated by humans. So it will depend how well you control it.
I highly recomend type 1s to do DAFNE course. Very, very good.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@richyb the member you are replying posted in this thread nearly 13 years ago, so he has most probably worked out about pumps by now.