Sainsburys. poor cafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusty2000

Dislikes
Rudeness. Arrogance. Tuna. Fish with a face. Eggs.
Was in Sainsbury today and wanted some lunch. I injected and decided on a brunch. All options were high in carb but the brunch had chips which I could ask to be removed. Its not so easy to remove pasta sheets from a lasagna or potato from a shepherd's pie. I asked to have the meal without chips or the egg as I don't like them. I asked to replace the chips with more mushroom and bacon. Was told would have to pay for the extras as it was a set meal. I pointed out I wanted to swap and was told would still have to pay.SPointed out was diabetic needed to eat but didn't want high carb. Didn't matter. Asked to see cafe manager. Same story. I said it was not fair that people with dietary requirements had to pay more. Mentioned diabetes and allergies etc. Was told people with allergies wouldn't order those things. I said all their meals were high carb and that if I went shopping now without food I would hypo. She just said sorry. Asked to see store manager and message came back to let me swap items. Staff were very unfriendly after that. To top it all was pleased to see 7up free instead of usual diet coke until I drank some and it was full sugar. I mentioned that their rigid policy did discriminate against people with dietary requirements. Anyone else had such problems?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Not being funny but why did you have your insulin before you decided what to eat?

Dusty2000

Dislikes
I didn't. I decided what to eat and injected. Assumed would be able to swap items. That's not really the point. Even if had not injected I would still have had to pay extra for non carb items to replace carb items taken away. Need to inject 15 mins before. That just added to the whole situation. Fact that she was happy to let me do shopping without food. But thanks for your helpful comment

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello Dusty.
Am sorry you had the experience you have described.

As I dont shop often at sainsburys this has shocked me to hear such a limited choice offered
to you in their cafe.

I always use morrisons cafe - its nearest to my home ...
There I can have 2 eggs fried or poached , 2 slices of well grilled bacon.
[always ask for bacon fat trimmed off - am fussy/finecky eater always have been! ]
Grilled tomatoes and sauted mushrooms too if I wish .
I can mix and match a carb free meal if I wish .
Salad with lean sliced ham , boiled egg , sliced beef, prawns, sliced chicken etc...
With or without coleslaw , grated carrot or cheese, spring onion etc...
They will even do a fish with a salad 'instead' of the portion of chips .

I thought other places were similar to this.
After reading your post its clear they are not .

Often if I am running a bit low shopping I pop in and have a small toasted teacake
[they have 2 sizes of these!] with a cappuccino to put me right again.
The staff there know me well and I can/do leave my trolley with their customer services
if feel unwell and have to dash to loo or cafe for a bite to eat and check my sugar levels.

They 'DO' have other hot high carb meals but they also do a lot of split items to cater
for varied tastes and diet requirements.
I have often seen and spoken to their lovely deputy store manager who is very often about
on the shop floor.
He is always friendly polite and helpful.

There really should have been other options alongside the main meals for
paying customers with special dietry needs / requirements.
Am shocked to hear this wasnt the case for you today.
What would you have done 'if' you were in serious needs ?
Going through a proper hypo ...

Anna.

Dusty2000

Dislikes
Yes Anna I usually shop at Morrison's too so familiarwith their menu. They are also happy to swap items. Am staying at parents and was shopping for them as mum is bed bound. It's not so much I was worried about hypo as I would.'ve managed but to not allow people to swap items seems ludicrous. The meal I wanted with swaps would have cost 8 instead of 5 pounds. Then they tried to kill me with high sugar drink wrongly labelled lol

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try shooting an email to their Customer Services. I often do online grocery shopping with them and find them very helpful if I have a problem with my delivery.
Send them what you have written above and also suggest some options that could be added or permitted so as to suit our needs....you never know you may start a new theme in their cafes.
I occasionally go to one of their stores and usually have a big breakfast before 1130am as it contains lesser evils than later meals.
Merry Christmas
Angie

Dusty2000

Dislikes
Yes thanks. I think to be fair it was about not being able to swap stuff so that it was suitable. I had planned for a breakfast but it was too late so I thought have the brunch minus chips. Sadly I don't eat egg. Nothing to do with diabetes. Was just surprised at how rigid they were. Thank you

GlazedDoughnuts

Dusty2000 said:
I didn't. I decided what to eat and injected. Assumed would be able to swap items. That's not really the point. Even if had not injected I would still have had to pay extra for non carb items to replace carb items taken away. Need to inject 15 mins before. That just added to the whole situation. Fact that she was happy to let me do shopping without food. But thanks for your helpful comment

1. You assumed, that is where it all went wrong, never assume anything.
2. Why should they foot the bill when you decide to swap items, for example meat costs more than veg.

They're offering you a meal for a certain price, you agree to buy it for the said price or go without. You invited them to change the offer, they declined. It sounds pretty fair for me.

You could of enquired before you took your Insulin and avoided these shenanigans.

In conclusion, happy boxing day. Your welcome.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't use insulin, so I actually have fewer choices than an insulin user. I usually go for "All day breakfast" type meals on the rare occasions Ieat out. Or salads. I got a delicious low carb meal sold as such in a Motorway services near Birmingham, a couple of months ago and I used to go to Pret-a-manger for their salads a while back. Chain restaurants are not usually as good, but I also find a carvery good.
Hana

Dusty2000

Dislikes
Actually the items I wanted to swap didn't cost more. But glazed doughnuts you sound like a regular tool. Assumed because most places let you swap. You don't want a certain type of potato for example so you ask for alternative. Friendly on here aren't they. Lol

Dusty2000

Dislikes
Yes breakfasts are good but it was too late for breakfast so I asked for brunch. Same as breakfast but with chips. I can't eat egg so I asked them to replace 2 eggs with 1 bacon and knock off chips and add one mushroom. Hardly unreasonable. But for each extra they wanted 1 pound

GlazedDoughnuts

Dusty2000 said:
Actually the items I wanted to swap didn't cost more. But glazed doughnuts you sound like a regular tool. Assumed because most places let you swap. You don't want a certain type of potato for example so you ask for alternative. Friendly on here aren't they. Lol

Dusty2000 said:
I asked to replace the chips with more mushroom and bacon.

:problem:

Dusty2000

Dislikes
You have not put what I actually wrote. I wanted 1 mushroom instead of chips and 1 slice bacon instead of 2 eggs. The potato example was an example.

Dusty2000

Dislikes
The more mushroom refers to one mushroom as that's what it was. Individual mushrooms. Why do people just post to have an argument lol

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dusty2000 said:
Why do people just post to have an argument lol

Because they've got nothing better to do with their time?! :roll:

It does seem very rigid to not allow you these small changes. I don't think I've ever been anywhere that doesn't let you swap something to meet your requirements - it's not as if every customer does it and I would have thought giving the customer what they want is what it's all about.... because like I said, it's not every customer that comes along. If they are this rigid, they're likely to lose repeat custom, that's for sure!

Dusty2000

Dislikes
I think that's really the point I was making lol. You goto a restaurant and order a meal and they will usually or in my experience always allow you to have a different accompaniment or no sauce or whatever. And you are right some people have too much time lol and nothing better to do with it. Looked at other threads that user was involved in and very similar. Criticising people in a judgemental arrogant manner. And yet people falling over themselves to help him when he asked for advice lol. Hardly in the spirit of such a forum. Have a nice day x

GlazedDoughnuts

Secure food that fits requirements, pay for it, take Insulin and eat.

-v-

Take Insulin, find out food doesn't fit requirements, challenge staff/manager to change it, eventually get your way, post thread on internet about the whole affair.

The whole situation could of been avoided.

I fail to see the problem here, if that makes me arrogant, so be it.

Dusty2000

Dislikes
Could have been avoided. Lol. Thick and arrogant

TT17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just out of interest which short acting insulin are you on?

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Dusty

Apart from the drink, you got what you wanted. Perhaps because of your stand, other people might be treated in a better way in the future. Well done.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.