anyone with over 100lbs to lose?

• Thread starter Deleted member 43917
  • Start Date

diva1977

Im over 20 stone and type 2 diabetic.
I was size 18 in 2007 gave up smoking a week later found out i was pregnant . Id been trying and miscarrying for 10 years was only size 8-10 1st time i lost a baby. So feeling this pregnancy was different spurred me on . But i substituted cigs for sweeties and gained about 3-3.5 stone whilst pregnant. Traumatic birth and complications up to 6 months after PND my weight continued to climb.

About a year later on routine testing my doctor would do on me i tested positive for type 2 .This year i finally found the strength to go to a Slimming World class. I can suffer terrible panic attacks when im anxious , and this been preventing me going as was scared of being fattest person there.

My consultant runs 5 classes and often i am fattest there and i find the plan easy to do but hard to stick to with a young child , but since end of January ive lost 3 stone. My diabetic nurse so pleased as even on Orlistat (sp?) I wasnt losing more than few llbs a month.

On a good week i lose 3-5llbs but i often stay the same and have had a few small gains along the way. But as the weight is coming off im starting to get more active as its easier and i find i have more energy. I used to just fall asleep even watching Tv sat upright , not good with young child. Ive cut out 2-3 naps a day. Now I have one if hes in school and im at home but if hubby day off or im busy i go w/o and it dont bother me.

Its a long journey and the road is going to be bumpy but ive started it and i wont stop until i reach my destination

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi diva and nice to see you making your first post.

Well done on your weight loss. :thumbup:

I have so far lost over 80lbs and still have about 100lbs to go so I know how hard you must have worked to get this far. Feeling more energetic as the weight comes off is a great spur to carry on but I doooooo sooooooo hate the weeks when I hop on the scales and find that I haven't lost anything. At least with recording all my BG levels on my food diary I have the reassurance that I am keeping my Diabetes under control and, as you say, I won't stop my journey no matter how bumpy and will eventually reach my destination.

Defren

diva1977 said:
Im over 20 stone and type 2 diabetic.
I was size 18 in 2007 gave up smoking a week later found out i was pregnant . Id been trying and miscarrying for 10 years was only size 8-10 1st time i lost a baby. So feeling this pregnancy was different spurred me on . But i substituted cigs for sweeties and gained about 3-3.5 stone whilst pregnant. Traumatic birth and complications up to 6 months after PND my weight continued to climb.

About a year later on routine testing my doctor would do on me i tested positive for type 2 .This year i finally found the strength to go to a Slimming World class. I can suffer terrible panic attacks when im anxious , and this been preventing me going as was scared of being fattest person there.

My consultant runs 5 classes and often i am fattest there and i find the plan easy to do but hard to stick to with a young child , but since end of January ive lost 3 stone. My diabetic nurse so pleased as even on Orlistat (sp?) I wasnt losing more than few llbs a month.

On a good week i lose 3-5llbs but i often stay the same and have had a few small gains along the way. But as the weight is coming off im starting to get more active as its easier and i find i have more energy. I used to just fall asleep even watching Tv sat upright , not good with young child. Ive cut out 2-3 naps a day. Now I have one if hes in school and im at home but if hubby day off or im busy i go w/o and it dont bother me.

Its a long journey and the road is going to be bumpy but ive started it and i wont stop until i reach my destination

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Bravo! Weight loss is not easy. This is such an inspirational story, and one that needs to be praised. I think, certainly from a person point of view, as you see the pounds slipping away it gives greater and greater incentive.

I wish you all the luck in the world, and say thank you for being brave enough to share your story here.

LouiseW

I too have over 100 pounds to lose. And although here in Canada, we've gotten used to the km per hour, measuring one's weight is still mostly in pounds even with my kids who grew up with metric. So I weigh 280 pounds. About 7 years ago, I lost 105 pounds through low calorie first, and then low-carb. I attribute that stretch to postponing the inevitable diagnosis of Type 2. I haven't actually been diagnosed yet but my blood sugars are in the diabetic range.

I'm got renewed commitment to a low-carb way of life with joint issues, mobility through bad knees, and now diabetes.

So as of yesterday, I have recommitted to staying low-carb. How are the rest of you doing who have posted in here?

Fraddycat

First of all Diva, well done! Its great to hear you are doing so well. A class like Slimming World can really help with motivation, stick with it you are doing brilliantly!

Louise, its great to hear you have recommitted to low carb, I started low carbing in July and since then have lost 18lbs - I have my first HBA1C since I started low carbing in a week's time and I am excited to see what a difference it has made. Determination is the first thing we all need when it comes to making the changes that we know will make a difference.

Just what I need, a bit of inspiration to start the new week! Thanks

Max87

Just thought I would add my experience with dieting over the past 12 months.

I've lost a total of 11 stone since this time last year, lots and lots of exercise (mainly lifting weights) and a diet that most on here would consider a bit lazy! High protein, low sugar but my carb intake wasn't that low.

I don't take anything for my T2 now and my sugar levels are actually extremely low even after eating most things a normal person would.

whelk

I weighed in at 300 lbs at my daughter's wedding last December. I'm currently 218 lbs with 50 lbs more to reach my target. It would be helpful to get a better estimate of body fat %age than BMI to rationalise the target setting.

Van1946

Yes I do, but my practice signed me up with individual one on one help for losing the weigh, I have been going now for four weeks and it does help. You also get to join an exercise group too.

mpprh

I'm not in that league but have lost 17kg from my target of 24kg which would result in a weight of 85kg ( 187lb).

I gained weight rapidly when I stopped smoking because of high blood pressure. With the weight came diabetes, cholesterol, etc.

I started by eating virtually no meat and many vegetables, but lost little.

I then switched to a high protein (at least 50% fish) + veg diet. After an initial loss I stayed much the same but with higher muscle mass, and reducing waistline. This continued for 5 months and at that point I had lost 13cm off my waist.

Continuing with the same diet, the weight started to drop off at around 1 - 2 kg per month.

I've recently added a weekly 10km (6mile) walk to the process.

From 109kg (240lb) I am now 91.6kg (202lb)with 22% body fat.

I test fasting glucose each morning and it is also dropping to the extent that my doctor has reduced medicaments (now 2 X 500mg Metaformin daily). My 3 month rolling average is running at 97.2 mg/dl (5.4mmol/l) and HA1bc is 5.4 .

A highish protein, low fat, little carbohydrate diet, now seems to work consistently. Most importantly I now eat smaller portions and drink less beer.

My Doctors view is that even if I need less than 1 metaformin per day, continuing with the medication will result in longer life expectancy.

LesleyAnne2

Congratulations all on your fantastic accomplishments. Losing weight is no easy feat!
Over the last three years I have lost 3 stone and 3 dress sizes, would be nice if it continued to go down but I am not dieting as such. I am following a low carb diet in the hope of controlling the diabetes, but I don't watch calories and get through gallons of double cream! Still managed to lose 11lbs though whilst eating lots of lovely fat in the past three months
:thumbup:

glenmoray

I'm afraid I'm like you. My BMI is 47 and I've been told I've got to loose weight to. Problem is I eat less than my 8 year old daughter. I also need bilateral knee replacements and have been told by the consultant that he will not replace my knee joints until my BMI is less than 35. I've just found out after attending a DAFNE course in Birmingham that I was overdosing on insulin for the past 10 years. When you take too much insulin it stores itself as fat cells in your body which now explains why I have been putting on so much weight. I was overdosing each day by over 90 units of insulin. Since I've been on the lower insulin regime I've lost nearly a stone in weight so there is hope for us all.

mpprh

Reading up on this I discovered :

Eating very little puts the body into a "survive the famine" mode and fat builds up. Insulin moves in to try and break down the fat.

I had to eat a high protein diet for several months until the body realised there was no famine and I started to firstly convert fat into muscle, then begin to lose weight.

As a type 2 this resulted in the insulin breaking down more sugars and less fat and I needed to reduce my medication.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
yes i do and am finding it very hard to stickto a diet as i comfort eat and at the moment have a lot of stress so am putting weight on like anything and yes i do know the risk.so any thing that will help me over come this i'm def interested in looking into.

mpprh

mpprh said:
I'm not in that league but have lost 17kg from my target of 24kg which would result in a weight of 85kg ( 187lb).

I gained weight rapidly when I stopped smoking because of high blood pressure. With the weight came diabetes, cholesterol, etc.

I started by eating virtually no meat and many vegetables, but lost little.

I then switched to a high protein (at least 50% fish) + veg diet. After an initial loss I stayed much the same but with higher muscle mass, and reducing waistline. This continued for 5 months and at that point I had lost 13cm off my waist.

Continuing with the same diet, the weight started to drop off at around 1 - 2 kg per month.

I've recently added a weekly 10km (6mile) walk to the process.

From 109kg (240lb) I am now 91.6kg (202lb)with 22% body fat.

I test fasting glucose each morning and it is also dropping to the extent that my doctor has reduced medicaments (now 2 X 500mg Metaformin daily). My 3 month rolling average is running at 97.2 mg/dl (5.4mmol/l) and HA1bc is 5.4 .

A highish protein, low fat, little carbohydrate diet, now seems to work consistently. Most importantly I now eat smaller portions and drink less beer.

My Doctors view is that even if I need less than 1 metaformin per day, continuing with the medication will result in longer life expectancy.

I'm now at 87.0kg and went for my 3 month check up this morning.

I have now lost 22kg in 21 months and taken more exercise which has reduced my glucose levels. I had my metformin reduced to 2 X 500mg tablets per day for the last 6 months.

My fasting glucose reading is 75mg/dl to 90mg/dl (4.2mmol/l to 5.0mmol/l) and Hba1c has been 5.4 for the last 6 months.

My normal doctor was away and I saw a locum. He gave me the same prescription but suggested I reduce to 1 x 500mg tablet per day and monitor the results. He expects to see little difference, in which case he suggests I stop taking the tablets and monitor the results. He thinks it very likely I no longer need medication.

Is this likely ?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
It may well be likely that you could stop. In your place I'd wait to see your usual GP and discuss things with him.

Personally, I'd be inclined to stay with the metformin. I tolerate it well, and because I'm a statin refusnik I like the fact that it gives some protection against stroke and CVD.

Viv 8)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm aiming to lose 55Kg and have lost 20Kg since Christmas. It's a lot easier at the beginning. Now my weight loss rate is down to a little less than 1Kg per week but, I eat well. It is now just a question of keeping it up over time.

I prepare all my own food and spend some time sourcing the right foodstuffs. I actually find preparing food takes the edge off my appetite. I don't want to snack. I hope to start gowing my own veggies soon and even have plans for building a wood fired outdoor bread oven. Activity stops you thinking about what is in the cupboard. I am sure I used to snack a lot because I was a bit bored.