Eye Screening

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have just had a letter from my recent Diabetes Eye Screening. My diabetes affects my eyes in the way that if my figures rise my eye sight blurs. The letter says that the photographs show some signs of diabetes affecting my eyes but does not require treatment. I have to contact my doctor for more information but as it's Christmas am going to worry now :(

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lemonie

Don't worry if they say you don't need treatment it can't be that bad , just try keep your sugar levels under control i know its the wrong time of year to be asking someone to do that but try your best. My eyesight sometimes goes blurry when i go low, never experienced blurred eye sight when my levels are high, but i do suffer alot more lows than highs.

Try to enjoy your christmas and don't worry if after boxing day it is still worrying you than ring up first thing thursday morning to see your G.P (i'm sure they should be open as normal by then).

tracey167

Tracey69

Hi Lemonie
I a gree with Tracey167 please don't worry, all you have to do is watch your sugar levels, diabetes can cause eye sight problems but as they said there is no need for treatment at present don't worry as this can make your sugars high.
Just enjoy your christmas and i wish you a happy new year.
Take care
Tracey

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with both ladies above. I had a letter stating the exact same thing and was told by my Dr not to worry about it as long as I got my blood sugars under control.

Please try not to worry about it, but if you still are, your Dr's surgery should be open on 24 Dec (mine is), and ask for a Dr to phone you.

Also, there are loads of threads about this exact same thing, giving the exact same advice as above.

Have a lovely Christmas, relax and enjoy.

Karen

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello Lemonie.

I do understand how this can have unnerved you and shook you up.
Making you feel so worried - to relax and enjoy the xmas.

It is true the more controlled the BG levels are - the less the blurring vision.
As the letter states no treatment is needed/required.
Try not to worry or panic , just keep eye on your BG levels and relax,enjoy
the xmas . [not easy when this weighs heavy on your mind] (((hug)))

If you are still worried/fretting or stressed, you can think about getting an appt with your doctor.
To get more information/reassurance with this.

My GP's is open xmas eve till 4pm then reopens thurs 27th dec.
Try and find out when your's is open and available .
Do let us all know how you get on ...

Please try not to worry unduly , hard not to I know and understand.
Do relax n enjoy this special christmas time with your family .
Be a shame to let worry spoil things for you.

Merry Christmas Lemonie.

Anna.

SWFC John

You can sneeze and burst blood vessels in your eyes so try not to worry too much, they are just more cautious because we are sugar dodgers.

The letter says no further treatment necessary so that's a positive, them letters always seem worded badly to me anyway, if treatment isn't needed they would be better off saying everything is fine rather than worrying people.

Nada

Hi

I've just had my first diabetes eye test and the optician was very clear that all was normal but not to panic if I get an oddly worded letter from the eye clinic or GP as the standard letters are weirdly worded in her opinion.

The eye clinic will check her verdict and write to me so can change it to minor problems but she was very reassuring.

I was relieved on the results especially just before Christmas! Hope it's just a badly worded letter in your case and all is fine. Don't fret.

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
I had exactly the same 3 weeks before Xmas & was gutted. My control is excellent, I'm a registered athlete in tip top shape & run marathons for fun. I buck the trend of my peers at athletics events taking only fruit & water when they are shovelling down energy gels & sports drinks. My doctor has shown no interest at all. In fact, he hates me visiting as he reckons I'm obsessed with my health. It does appear to be a regular do for us db's though & takes a long time to degenerate to anything that harms our sight. If it does, laser surgery can help. My blood pressure has always been high, an issue that my GP refuses to acknowledge & I think this is a major factor so next years focus for me is to try & drive this down somehow. Good luck