31 weeks, WORRIED!! last Hba1C 6.4 and slightly larger baby

khadijah_jade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone,

i have been T1 Diabetic for 8 years i am 20 years old and i am extremely worried about my pregnancy.
when i first conceived my hba1c was 7.1%

i am currently 31 weeks pregnant and my last Hba1c was 6.4% it has been better than this throughout the pregnancy but lately it has risen, the diabetic doc has been telling me ive been doing really well until today they told me that i need to be more strict, which worried me!! so i had a growth scan and they told me that my baby is slightly larger than normal measuring at the size of a 34 week old baby rather than 31. i am really worried and cant stop thinking about what else i can do to make it better, has anyone else experienced this and what was the outcome of it?
will i be induced? will my baby have something wrong with him?
please can someone help and put my mind at ease!!

thankssss xx

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: 31 weeks, WORRIED!! last Hba1C 6.4 and slightly larger b

Hi

DON'T worry i have had 3 kids and cos of the diabetes they can tend to be a bit bigger my first was born at 35 weeks and weighed 6lb 1.5oz cos problems with the placenta my 2nd and 3rd were born at 37 weeks 2nd weighing 7lb 6oz and 3rd weighing 6lb 14oz they were all healthy. Due to the sugar in your blood the baby will take it which causes the weight gain but to me a HBC1a of 6.4 is good.

Doctors can sometimes go OTT with everything , When i was pregnant with my first my G.P at the time told me i had to keep my sugar levels at 3.3 which is HYPO and me being so nieve at the time tried to do that and ended up in hospital with a really bad hypo.
Everything will be fine don't stress about it if you are keeping your glucose levels under control there is no problem.

Good Luck

tracey167

Tracey69

HI
Please don't worry diabetic's tend to have larger babies. My sonth was born 4 weeks early weighing 7lb 3oz and my daughter was born 7.5 weeks early weighing 5lb 6oz. My son weighed more than some of the full term babies so please don't worry. Your HBA1C is pretty good. i think you are doing really well.
HOpe the pregnancy goes well, let us know what you have, and how you are doing.
Take care
Tracey

JConnor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,
Just repeating what the others said, DONT WORRY. I wasnt diagnosed as type1 till after my pregnancy was diagnosed Gestational during pregnancy, i was continually measuring 4+ weeks. My daughter was born at 36 weeks weighing in at 8lbs 8oz.
Alot of diabetics are induced as its safer to plan to bring early. Dont worry about it tho, the doctors know what to do for best, is so frustrating as they cant tell you what will happen until the time comes, until 35 weeks i was always told wait and see etc then suddenly it was a case of ok, baby needs to come, only safe way (due to a multitude of factors) by C section and needs to happen in next few days.
As a mum to be is so scary not knowing what will happen but try to relax and not worry to much.
Jess

princesskerry

Like others have said try to relax and not to worry.

I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes during my first pregnancy and went on to have a 9lb 8oz baby, but during my second pregnany I was tested for gestational diabetes but the results came back clear only to eventually deliver a 11lb 8oz baby.

I think if you maintain your blood sugars and eat well, you will have a normal weight baby. I was unlucky to not be diagnosed during my second pregnancy as the birth weight strongly indicated gestational diabetes that was not maintained.

Tracey69

HI
Hope you are alright. Just wondered how your pregnancy was going. I haven't been on much due to circumstances. I was just going through my posts and just thought i would catch up with a few people.
Take care
Tracey

Nickers

I was 38 weeks and 2 days when I had my son I was induced and my son weighed 8lb 15oz and he's healthy and happy don't worry you will be fine like everyone has said big hugs xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Shazzle80

Well, I WASN'T diagnosed with diabetes with my first child and he was 10lb 9oz!! I'm currently using insulin with this little one (its a girl, she was bound to be trouble!!) and am informed this should help her to be smaller. You will be well looked after in yor pregnancy, try not to worry. As I said, my son was a whopper and I was diabetes free!! xxx

elaine77

I was 20 when I had my first baby she was 8lb 12oz. I was only a size 8 before pregnancy and 5ft 4 but was not diagnosed with GD in my first pregnancy though they now think I might have had it. Fast forward to my second pregnancy and I had to force the hospital to give me tests as I was measuring 40 weeks at 30 weeks! Finally got diagnosed at 33 weeks and they arranged to induce me at 38 weeks as baby was big, baby came on his own though at 37 weeks and weighed 9lb 11oz! He was also born with congenital hypothyroidism which the docs say had nothing to do with my GD yet I don't believe them. Diabetes went away completely after i had him but then, to top all this off I was told the diabetes had came back just before Xmas.....originally had me as type 2 but after blood results in Feb turns out I am 1.5 at the moment and they're waiting a few months to see how the 'disease' progresses... My first pregnancy was 2006 and my second was 2010.

Boohoo7

Hey ! It can be true but not always - I had gd on insulin 4 times a day after problems went into labour at 37 weeks my son was born just over 6lb ! So don't panic x
Good luck xxxx