had gest diabetes, now pre diabetic

KatieCat

My hbac1 is 44 mmol or (i think using an online converter 6.17%). Now the dr says this means I am not diabetic and the result is entirely normal! However from looking online I can see that pre diabetes is diagnosed with results of 5.7% to 6.4% and that diabetes is diagnosed with results of 6.5% or above. So technically I think I'm pre diabetic but the doctor perhaps didn't want to worry me. She just said I'm not diabetic and the results are nothing to worry about! What does anyone think? I am obese, not hugely but still obese, so hoping that losing 3 to 4 stone with help return my bg levels to a more normal range. Would be grateful if anyone has any advice. This is a great site for support and info :).

JaneFrazer

Hi Katie,
I'm fairly new to the topic as well, but I would always trust the doctors advice... She wouldn't tell you any lies just not to worry you... anyhow loosing a few pounds is never bad..
cheers, Jane

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd treat myself as a diet only diabetic in your position and take the advice about cutting carbs. You may then never stray over the line into full diabetes. By doing a low carb diet you should loose some weight which will also help lower your risks.

On this site we have come across doctors being wrong with all sorts of things but especially with what a diabetic diet is, so what one doctor would say were diabetic levels, another one may not.

KatieCat

Thanks Jane and Denise, yes first thing i need to do is follow low carb diet and exercise 30 mins a day to lose weight. I agree Denise, it's very arbitary the advice given by doctors. Some might give good advice but others seem to be very blase and I certainly don't understand why a high carb diet is suggested!

princesskerry

I would agree with following the low carb diet, it will be beneficial to you health and with weight loss but hopefully may help it not developing into diabetes.