Refilling medtronic reservoirs

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Hi,

I heared some people are able to refill reservoirs for the insulin pump. I am on a medtronic veo and tried to refill a container but so far didnt succeed. IS anyone familiar with refilling these reservoirs?

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hello - I have a medtrnoic minmed pump and hoped that I could help but I'm sorry I don't understand what you're asking. Do you want to reuse reservoirs more than once?

iHs

Hi

I often re-use my Accu chek cartridges and just use a new one every month.

Its not at all difficult to do... Ive just looked at Youtube at someone filling up a medtronic cartridge and all you've got to do is re screw in the plunger at the bottom of the cartridge when its empty, push the plunger up and down a couple of times and then withdraw down to the level you want to fill the cartridge and then push on the vial adaptor and away you go again. Obviously though, with repeated use too often, the lubrication on the seals inside the cartridge will start to vanish but as yet, I haven't had any problems.

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
yes...sorry i wasnt too clear. I want to re-use them again as they look fine but some how i cant manage to reseal them?

bonerp

these cartridges are single use for a reason....they have a fine lube to ensure smooth action of the motor which is very delicate.

You could easily damage the sensitive components and end up with a faulty pump or one that delivers inconsistently.

I would not recommend this course of action...

iHs

I think Bonerp has probably got a good point and that it might not be too wise to try to refill them over and over because of the seals losing their lubrication.......

Next year... many diabetics using the Spirit pumps will be able to use a certain insulin that will come in a glass cartridge so no one will have to use the plastic cartridges anymore.....It has been done to address the air bubble problem that many Spirit users experience... Whether it will be cost effective.... will be a different matter though ..........

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a feeling that Medtronic has changed the seal somehow to prevent reuse.
Before I first got the pump about 4 years ago, I practised was able to refill a reservoir ad infintum (using expired insulin).
I also used to use an old reservoir to get the last bit out of a vial, so I could dispose of it down the sink rather than throw a vial containing insulin away.
I can't do that now, I've tried both using the old reservoir where the bottom has never been withdrawn and also tried pulling it out, it doesn't work.( You pull the plunger.it creates pressure but doesn't allow insulin in)

TT17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe I'm being stupid but why would you want to refil a reservoir

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I agree - they are meant for single use so why try and re-fill them. Recycling is to be comended but not in this instance.