newly diagnosed

angry

Dislikes
fruit, veg etc
I suppose newly diagnosed is not strictly true in my case, I was diagnosed in February last year and I suppose I have been denying it ever since. Well, I don't feel any different from before I was diagnosed so why should I do anything about it, why should I let this thing control me because that is what it is going to do isn't it, now I have been put on medication told what I should eat (and it is everything I dislike). I am so angry, so wound up about it. I'm just thinking to hell with it all and carry on as I have before.

I could just go on and on ranting and raving about it but i'll just make myself even more anygry, I don't even know why I have come on here to be honest. :x :( :x

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi angry and welcome to the forum, and Happy New Year :) We are all pleased to have you as a member and hope you will feel happy being here soon. With regards to diet, have a look at the Food Forum, especially the Low Carb Forum and I am sure you will find lots of food you can eat which you will like. Things will get better soon if you stay here with us. The reason why you need to look after yourself and keep your levels under control is that high levels may give you some unpleasant complications which you can help to reduce or avoid. Here is the information we give to new members which I hope you will find helpful. Ask all the questions as you like as there is always someone who can help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You're not alone in being angry and thinking 'why me?'. The problem is that initially you won't feel any different from before diagnosis but if your sugars go too high then damage is done quietly and when it becomes evident it is too late. What have you been told to eat and not eat? Perhaps we can help comment on the list and suggest some positive foods that are OK. Do get hold of a meter as it will enable you to connect with what is actually going on with your blood sugar and you can start to take control. I assume you have been put onto Metformin? What was your last HBa1C figure?

angry

Dislikes
fruit, veg etc
the nurse at the doctors did give me some sheets but i got home tore them and threw them away. I,m not sure what you mean by an HBa1 whatever score I have not heard that term until now, but if you mean my blood sugar level with one of those meters I have not had one done since I was in Hospital 9 weeks ago and that last reading was 7.3 if i remember correctly.

I remember sitting and the nurse was talking but I was not listening to be honest. I really don't understand when it is all about glucose levels your told about proteins starches and carbs what have these got to do with sugar levels. :?:

to be honest I am not going to change, i really do not care what happens to me, what will be will be.

Dark Horse

If you eat carbohydrates such as starch, they are broken down during digestion to form glucose which is absorbed into the bloodstream. So, to manage your blood glucose levels you need to pay attention to the amount of carbohydrate in your diet. The largest part of food consists of 3 "macronutrients" namely protein, carbohydrate and fat. You need the right balance of these.

HbA1c is a measure of what your blood glucose levels have been over the last 2-3 months. It's helpful as it tells you how well you're doing at controlling your glucose levels.

CherryKerry

When I was diagnosed I ignored and neglected it but now I always tell myself, I control my diabetes, my diabetes does not control me. Now I've got the hang of it (took me 10 years!) I will try my best to maintain it. I wish you all the best and do really hope that one day things will become alot easier for you.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
angry said:
the nurse at the doctors did give me some sheets but i got home tore them and threw them away. I,m not sure what you mean by an HBa1 whatever score I have not heard that term until now, but if you mean my blood sugar level with one of those meters I have not had one done since I was in Hospital 9 weeks ago and that last reading was 7.3 if i remember correctly.

I remember sitting and the nurse was talking but I was not listening to be honest. I really don't understand when it is all about glucose levels your told about proteins starches and carbs what have these got to do with sugar levels. :?:

to be honest I am not going to change, i really do not care what happens to me, what will be will be.

Well angry, we've all been there my friend, I do sincerly hope, that with your attitude, you do actually 'live' to tell the tale.
Seems to me that you have a choice here, 1. Bury head in sand 2. Do something about it.

Please take the time to explore these forums, and learn that all the things you do not understand can become a lot clearer.
I am not going to scare you, but again, with your current attitude, there are many unpleasant consequences ahead, maybe years away, but they will turn up to haunt you.Hindsight and all that.

Good luck and a happy new year....

Superchip

floflo..x

hello angry, i completely understand your frustration im type 1 and a teenager and was only diagnosed last january.Your probably thinking why me? well your in the wrong mindset.Things like this happen to millions of people all the time and yes maybe you are one of them but you are most definatley not alone.Sometime's i feel the same why should i have to sacrifice all the good things in life and be told how to live it but for me all i need to do is take a look at my father for motivation.My father was type 1 and denyed the fact he had it all his life since years old. He is now blind and has kidney faliure too and was living off diyalisis for life support every other day.Fortunatley my dad was given a panceas and kidney transplant and is now relativley well.Just the thought of the two options blindness and kidney faliure & carry on as normal and be indenial i can see my future staright out all you need to do is think to yourself is the only normal im going to get is to take my meds and obide by the doctors rules.You dont want to end up like my father so just do whats best for your health because your not going to get anymore normanl than that only worse if you carry on as you are please please please take my advice because the thought of another person turning out like my dad makes me sick because he could have done so much to prevent it. i hope this has given you enough motivation to solider on and do whats best for your health and not whats cool? thankyou. 8)

newinhere

hi i have type 2 and they are still searching if it is mody.it is scary and hard to have an illness such as diabetics for me for the moment.

I could so easily have written the original post by "angry".
That is how I feel. I was diagnosed about 13 months ago and chose to try and manage it with diet. When I say chose, that's what I told the nurse at the GP because I didn't want to take yet another tablet(already take BP and Statins). I didn't change my diet though. I find it very difficult to start a healthy diet after years of eating the things I enjoy (chocolate, cheese, chips etc) I am mobidly obese and have been for at least 15 years but still cannot motivate myself to eat "HEALTHILY". I hate fruit and find it hard to eat. Veg I don't mind, but living alone I can't always be bothered cooking meals.
2 months ago my GP more or less insisted that I go on Metformin. I have taken the tablets religiously since they were prescibed, although I have no idea what they are supposed to do!
My blood glucose level when the tablets were prescribed was 7.2 and I have an appointment next week to have it checked again. I feel no different in myself than I did 12 months ago and have lost no weight.
The only difference between the comments made by"angry" and myself is that I do care what happens to me. I don't want to end up with foot and leg ulcers and vision impairment. I go to all the eye checks and foot checks etc but I just cannot get my head around this healthy eating lark. I was referred to a dietician, but that didn't help. I have known for years how to eat healthily I just don't like it.
I also suffer from sleep apnoea and have a cpap machine. I have had this for about 10 months but have not found that it has helped my weight or my blood pressure or my cholesterol despite claims that this machine can help in these matters.
Depressed? I am not depressed because I don't get depressed but I am fed up.

kimbb

well i was diagnosed today, cant remember what my hb doodah count result was, i know it was pretty high. seeing as i was expecting it to happen at some point with the family history it was hardly a shocker.
I am very much a practical person i am very much right give me the info and all the gubbins lets get on with it. i want to look after my self. it will not affect my life really.

note to Mr Angry.
sorry you feel like S*(*t about all this stuff. put simply, if you take the meds and test the blood sugar there is not really any reason to not be able to eat the stuff that you like (in moderation ie not 8 bacon butties and a whole victoria sandwich cake washed down with 15 pints of lager and a couple of midnight marsbars and thats just lunch....). the medication is there to help you live your life healthy and to the max not to turn you in to some boring miserable lettuce eating maniac. trust me its better than going blind, going into a coma or loosing a leg or your life and spending many many many years in bandages with leg ulcers and stink like you would not believe in the summer that wont heal etc. the health workers are only giving you advice to help you protect and maintain you as you are now. if you really want to scare your self google some nasty neglected diabetic related leg wound and then ask your self if that is the life you want for your self. if you feel lazy click this https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=diabetic+leg+ulcers&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.d2k&biw=1360&bih=643&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&authuser=0&ei=C9_VUcj6JIiuPMXcgKAH
i hope thats enough for you to wake up and smell the coffee cause not taking care of your self for your self will affect your life far more at the end of the day you have to live with the choices so i hope you will think about changing your mind.
good luck! chin up angry man!

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Angry! I was once told that being diagnosed with diabetes is experienced by the brain as a loss and is followed by all the stages of grief. Anger is a natural response. I still get angry from time to time even after 27 yrs. You say you don't know why you are on here - is it possible that acceptance is trying to sneak its way in? A diagnosis of diabetes is an incredible body blow. The changes in lifestyle can seem impossible. The reality is that even with the strictest routine life carries on. The dietary changes usually suggested are draconian and unrealistic at times. You will learn a lot on here about diet and food that tastes good. Treats are allowed just not all the time - this should be true for anyone who wants to be any bit healthy diabetic or not. When you say whatever will be will be you are signing yourself up for some dark times. No doubt you know about the magical pot pourri of complications associated with diabetes but in the here and now high blood sugars lead to tiredness, despondency, insomnia, mood fluctuations
(including anger). Basically they make you feel like unmotivated ****! I struggled for a long time to come to terms with diabetes and I've finally made it. Unfortunately for me the long delay has lead to retinopathy (my greatest fear) for which I am receiving laser treatment. You can't force acceptance but yoi can get help to make the journey. Without this forum I would not be in the healthy head space I am in now. So many many people here want to help. The fact that you are here makes me hopeful that you are ready to take the first steps. I truly hope you are. Denial holds us back. Acceptance moves us forward. We are all here if you need us even if it is to rant and rave and get stuff off your chest.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App