Insulin Types

toby1973

Dislikes
Violence and racism
Hi there, firstly happy new year everyone.

I have been using Humulin M3 KwikPen 32 Units twice daily, before I used Humulin I KwikPen 28 units twice daily.

My blodd sugars are coming out in double figures like 22.4, 15.6 and so on.

I spoke to my DSN yesterday on the phone and she thinks I might now be insulin resistant.

She wants me to go see her this Thursday as she wants to get me started on a stronger insulin.

Can anyone tell me what the stronger insulins are please ?

toby1973

Dislikes
Violence and racism
toby1973 said:
Hi there, firstly happy new year everyone.

I have been using Humulin M3 KwikPen 32 Units twice daily, before I used Humulin I KwikPen 28 units twice daily.

My blodd sugars are coming out in double figures like 22.4, 15.6 and so on.

I spoke to my DSN yesterday on the phone and she thinks I might now be insulin resistant.

She wants me to go see her this Thursday as she wants to get me started on a stronger insulin.

Can anyone tell me what the stronger insulins are please ?

Am guessing nobody can answer me then on this ? if so sorry to have asked such a tough question.

TT17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm guessing she means putting you on a fast acting with meals and a slow acting insulin once / twice a day rather than a mixed insulin twice a day which I'm guessing humulin m3 twice a day

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Toby1973

Your DSN has not explained it correctly, it's not about having "stronger" insulin, it's about changing your insulin regime and dose.

Mixed insulins such as Humulin M3 don't work well for everyone and being on a basal / bolus regime gives you more freedom with your diet ;eg timing meals, and better control of your blood sugar. The basal insulin is the long-acting, like the Humulin I you were previously on. The bolus is the short / rapid acting you need before meals. This will cover the carbohydrate for your meals. You are now on a mixture of long & short acting, Humulin M3. In my 24 yrs as type-1 whatever basal insulin I've been on , I've found it best if the dose is split morning and night, as did with the Humulin I, but a bolus (short or rapid acting) is needed too.
There are different types of insulin and your DSN should be explaining that to you. I had problems with control on synthetic "human" insulins and dreadful side-effects with the newer "analogue" insulins and since I changed to animal insulin (porcine) have far better health, control of my diabetes without the fatigue and side-effects.
They type of insulin you take is as crucial as the dose and it's a very personal thing and you should research it yourself. Diabetes UK publish a chart showing all different insulin types and their duration and action which can be useful, and you and your DSN can decide together which one is better suited to your diet and lifestyle.
Are you type-1 or 2?
Best of luck
Jus :)
Happy New Year btw :)

toby1973

Dislikes
Violence and racism
Re: Insulin Types (update)

Saw my consultant today and he's put me on Humalog Mix 50

This is two unsulis in one pen, each dose is made up pf 50% fast acting insulin, and 50% Slow acting

I have been started on 24 units which is injected twice daily.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Hi!

I hope you get on well with the new mixed insulin! I didn't get on with my first insulin either which was Humalin I (too many highs and lows on it) and got switched to Lantus which so far with Low carb dieting seems to be ok(touch wood)

toby1973

Dislikes
Violence and racism
Tubsolard said:
Hi!

I hope you get on well with the new mixed insulin! I didn't get on with my first insulin either which was Humalin I (too many highs and lows on it) and got switched to Lantus which so far with Low carb dieting seems to be ok(touch wood)

Cheers Tubsolard, good luck with your Lantus & Low Carb dieting :clap: