Constantly Bad Hyperglycemia :(

stuart264

I have had pretty bad problems with Hyperglycaemia ever since I was diagnosed 2 years ago, constant med changes etc that left me feeling **** and worse until I finally bit the bullet about 3 months ago and switched to Insulin injections (Basal Bolus) of Levemir and Novo Rapid and quite frankly I am due a review on the 8th (have to go get my blood tests done tomorrow last HBA1C was 7.2 and the one before that was 6.9) and the amount of insulin I am having to inject scares the proverbial out of me.....Like at the moment 80+ units of Levemir a day and about 50ish units of Novo Rapid (currently having to use a 1unit:4g carb ratio!!!)

I know something is wrong with my system as regards to Carbohydrate absorption but I don't know what but I have fairly bad gastric damage from a very bad bout of Clostridium Difficile that left me permanently disabled with FAPS, IBS and whole load of other "syndromes"

For example my blood sugar was OK last night but I had 2 slices of toast about 9ish and woke up at 5 feeling like death warmed over, bursting bladder, burning eyes and wooden tongue all the classic symptoms of hyperglycaemia and with that much insulin in my system!, it just doesn't make sense to me and I think I need some advice pretty quickly preferably before my eyesight goes from dehydration and having a wooden tongue for the last 6 weeks really doesn't ingratiate me with the girlfriend either.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Stuart,
Many of us on this forum have switched to low carbing. In my case I've given up starchy carbs such as bread, rice, pasta and potatoes. It's a bit of a sacrifice at first but it really does make getting excellent results very easy.

Fallenstar

Agree with Sam. On that much Insulin you will swing. I found changing to Low carb enabled me to have tiny increments of insulin, to be honest my problem is the opposite of yours I am insulin sensitive. The small amounts of insulin ,instead of larger doses to deal with the Carbs, made things so much more controllable for me...no roller coasting blood sugars.

Some people can manage carbs on insulin, some can't, there is no hard and fast rule for us all. You just have to realise when things are not working and try a change of tack.

Hypo's can happen for all sorts of reasons not just getting doses wrong, Cortisol problems, Hyper Thyroid, all sorts of underlying conditions can cause them. Coeliac also. I'm not saying this is the case for you . Give low carb a try for a month or two and see if things improve for you ,if not, then you can go back to the starchy carbs and look again.

Hypers, not enough insulin. High Cortisol levels and Low Testosterone can cause Hyperglycemia in Men as underlying causes, even with little carb intake, again probably not you but it is worth getting your Endo to rule out underlying causes. Testosterone promotes insulin sensitivity in Men, but has the opposite effect in women.

I would certainly start with diet changes first and then take it from there....Good luck with your HCP app!
Read the low carb section on here, and holler if you need any help :D

stuart264

I think I am going to have to really cut out the carbs totally , though I will seriously miss rice :( but anything is better than this as the hypergylcemia is killing me and the dry eye I have at the moment just will not go away.

Fraddycat

Hi Stuart, its a bit of a shock at first when you give up carbs, but honestly you will feel SO much better that you will feel really motivated to continue. I have been doing it since July and feel great! Even over Christmas I have managed to stay fairly low carb. Good luck!

bethan59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Stuart
I am a Type 2 Diabetic, diagnosed June 2012. My condition is further complicated( and possibly caused by) a somatostatin(insulin inhibiting) secreting neuroendocrine tumour on my liver.
I was immediately started on insulin and after a few modifications, I now take Lantus 10 - 16 units per day and Novorapid at mealtimes( 4-8, 2-6 and 2-8). I have found that I experience Hypers regularly in the mornings and thought it may be due to the Dawn Phenomenon, but increasing the basal insulin worsened the problem. I have now reduced the Lantus and have split the dose to 6 am and 5 in the evening. This has helped.
I have also been monitoring my blood glucose at night and have noticed that I tend to Hypo between 2am and 4am. Having done some research this tend to indicate the Somogyi phenomenon. Prolonged low blood sugar levels lead to stress resulting in a high blood sugar rebound. This results in an instant increase in blood gulcose(liver secretes glucagon) and stress hormones cause insulin resistance for several hours leading to raised blood glucose on waking!
I must agree with Sam and Fallenstar with the low carbing as I have lost 2 stone and greatly improved my HbA1c and cholesterol levels by doing so. The problem has got worse over the last 2 weeks with the Festive Season and reduced attention to diet!
Check out the Somogyi phenomenon though - I will let you know how I get on with adjusting insulin etc.
Beth :wave:

bivry29

Glucagon is secreted from the pancreas, not the liver. It targets the liver and stimulates glucose production into the bloodstream.

How often do you exercise?

bethan59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry my mistake :? I meant glycogen! :D

I execise regularly - walking mainly due to dodgy knees! Did 4 miles on NY day and 6.5 yesterday 8)