Insulin not helping to lower BG levels

diamondn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been type 2 for over 10 years, am 49 year old on reasonable diet but last Hb1ac was 13.5 so have been started on insulin, Levimir once a day about 3 weeks ago. Even though my diet is even better now than before my BG readings are still high, averaging over 14. I know it is early days and I have increased now to 12 units a day but it doesn't seem to be working. I am going back to see diabetic nurse in a few days but wondered if anyone else had similar experience

denzelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
yes, have very similar experience, just started insulin, due to having operation cancelled in december due to very high sugars !!, they are slowly upping my insulin by the week, as operation now resceduled for 10th of this month, so expect they will increase dosage at some stage, best of luck, how are you getting on with injections ?

diamondn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Denzelise, the injections themselves have been no problem at all, using an insulin pen. That has been very easy.

toby1973

Dislikes
Violence and racism
Ah yes can relate to this very well

I was taking Humulin I twice daily starting at 8 units for each injection using a pre-filled pen, then after 1 week told to up dose to 10 units, week later 12 and so on then when I got to 26 units, was then put on Humulin M3 (mixed insulin) pre-filled pen, again twice daIly starting at 24 units each dose, then upto 28 units after 1 week, then 32 units after another week.
Still getting hight BG readings and diet is ok also I take Metformin.
My DSN is seeing me tomorrow as she wants change the insulin and maybe increase number of jabs as she thinks even though am type 2 she thinks I am insulin resistant.
I am due weight loss surgery but my BG readings have to be stable in single figure readings./