Pasta highs

Daver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Malicious liars, people who interrupt, war.
Happy New Year!

I hope everyone had a good one.

I just wanted some advice on eating pasta. I generally have good control over my carb-insulin ratio, although I'm still waiting to get on to DAFNE, however, pasta really throws a spanner in the works.

For example: Last night I made a Carbonara using normal drum wheat pasta. I measured it out and worked out what I needed to take (Novorapid) but this morning I was as high as a kite at 16.2. Before dinnner I was 6.3, a few hours after eating I was on 8.7 so figured that I should be fine until the morning. I do have the remains of a cold but this is not the first time that pasta has caused my levels to rocket. Has anyone else experienced this? Or does anyone have some pearls of wisdom that can help. I can get myself back to where I need to be, but it's just annoying!

Thanks in advance

Dave

hallii

I am T2 so different, but I find that wholegrain pasta is much kinder to my BGs, it does have to be proper wholegrain stuff though, there are some that claim to be "whole" but are obviously not as whole as the proper stuff (if that makes sense).

H

Fallenstar

Hi Daver Happy New Year to you too!

Pasta a VERY carb rich meal, one I could not of tolerated , unless I had been on a pump to keep the insulin going in over night!

The fat will have slowed down the absorption of the carbs ,so this is why you got a spike a lot later on. You may have to experiment with correction or split doses of Bolus for a very high carb, high fat meal. I would suggest doing this earlier in the day, ie have your Pasta at lunch time then you can keep testing to see how your BG profile is doing much later on, and you don't have to go to sleep wondering if you risk a Hypo if you have over corrected. May be worth a try.

I just gave up on carbs a long time ago and now I find a MUCH smoother BG profile, some insulin users can handle them ,some can't . You will need to experiment , what about trying different sorts of Pasta, rice pasta's maybe, the ones for Coeliacs, you may digest them quicker to fit in with your Bolus profile.

Hope some of this may help, because it's a shame when you love a food but it does not get on with you!

Daver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Malicious liars, people who interrupt, war.
Thanks for the replies.

I didn't konw about the fat reacting with the carbs so this is quite good advice. Perhaps injecting after eating may be better when pasta's involved. I do enjoy pasta, although I think I will also take on the advice of having the wholegrain pasta - presumably you wont need as much of this to 'feel' full and would be better for you anyway.

I don't think I can ditch carbs altogether as that is (pasta aside) also what keeps me level. I have a good, balanced diet and exercise regularly so, as you mentioned Fallenstar, giving up on a food type I enjoy is a shame and hopefully not necessary (not wishing to let the diabetes 'win'!).

So a slight change to my shopping list and a measured approach on the pasta may be the answer.

Thanks a lot

Dave

Fallenstar

Hi Dave :D

Yes, fat really does react with carbs, really slows down the absorption, which can work in some peoples favour! Experiment with timed doses. Hopefully you will find a way with it, I'm sure you will.

You could try it with just olive oil instead of a higher fat sauce. To be honest when I did used to eat Pasta I found Wholemeal would spike me even worse later on , as again more slowly absorbed. But you have to try and test and be prepared to radically adjust insulin ratio's for some foods if you really want to eat them.

Good Luck

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Long time no see Dave :)

Pasta is a tricky one to get right, I love pasta dishes and will have one at least every fortnight sometimes more. My favourite is lasagna, I find with the combination of high carbs/high fat my bg can rise several hours after eating, to combat this ( I'm on MDI) I will inject half my ratio up front before eating and the rest 2 - 3 hours later which seems to work for me, it really is trial and error with such meals with regards to injection timing, I'd imagine those who use a pump to deliver their insulin will be able to bolus far more efficiently than those on MDI.

iHs

Hi

An alternative to wheat based pasta is to try gluten free which is made using alternative to wheat. That may have a different effect on bg levels and is easy to buy in many of the large supermarkets.

Another low carb option is to try Dreamfields pasta.

Happy experimenting ........

Pearsall85

I think this thread has just answered why I have had a high bs before bed the last 2 days. I've had a pasta meal for my dinner at 5.30 then I've checked my bs before driving home around 8 and my levels were showing my bolus has worked but then I've took my bs before bed 10.30 and its through the roof. I've had some fish in between but there was 0 carbs in that so ill have try stopping the pasta of an afternoon and see what happens.

Stu.