Type 1 Diabetes & fertility

submarinerLV

Hi all

I have been a Type 1 Diabetic man since I was 14 (I'm now 30) & I've been recently thinking about the prospect of children with my girlfriend & I just wanted to know if having diabetes plays a significant part in reducing a man's fertility?

I have thought about going to get myself checked out, but I just wanted to ask the question here first.

Thanks

Ocho8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

First time I have written on this forum btw.

I am type 1 diabetic since 21 (i am now 47), when I was diagnosed at 21 my fertility was better than the average non diabetic!
I don't know why the doctor new this but he told me?
Besides this I was 26 years old when my wife and I had our first child (a Girl) and we had another baby 2.5 years later (a Boy).

My wife got pregnant a third time but the baby had edwards syndrome which is a very bad condition and the doctor's advice was not to carry on with the term! This condition can happen to anyone and it's not thought to be related to my diabetes.

My daughter is now 19 years old - I have checked her blood sugars - a good healthy 4.9 (old money).

I haven't tested my son but I do have my suspicions with him as he's always eating sugary food and does drink alot???
(Being 16 years old there is no chance I can test his blood)!!!

If you and your partner are reasonably healthy (apart from being type 1 diabetic) - go for it!

It's the best thing ever.

Cheers

Fallenstar

Hi Submariner

Well being a Type 1 Male usually means that you will have a higher SHBG and higher Testosterone, so this may explain Ocho's Dr's prognosis all those years ago.
I think it's to do with low insulin levels, so keep insulin doses down as much as you can, through diet and exercise and I'm sure you will hear the patter of tiny feet very soon.

Then when that happens your blood sugars will be all over the place, with having no sleep and lots of stress :lol: Good luck with it all

submarinerLV

Thank you for the replies so far guys, really encouraging.

Do you think I should still go & get myself checked out for sperm count, or don't let it worry or concern me at this stage?

I haven't had the best control of my diabetes over the years, but since i went on the pump in the last 18 months my HBA1c is much lower, levels are stable & i have lost a significant amount of weight too - 6 stone! :)

Fallenstar

Hey
I would not worry and look for problems ,let nature take it's course and if after several months of trying still no joy ,make an appointment with your HCP and get checked out...I'd just enjoy trying for a good while :D

Hey
WELL DONE on the weight loss and improved control, it's so good to hear a success story :thumbup: