Council Say Exercise or Reduced Benefit - Try Engaging Brain

hallii

Re: Westminster City Council - Try Engaging Brain

I see nothing wrong in asking people to actually do something in return for state benefits.

I know of people who have become so obese that they can no longer walk, they then claim disabilty and even get a car on Motability.
Yes, they have other health problems, but every one of them is related to obesity.

The unemployed could and should do some sort of work to benefit the community.

I apologise to those who are genuinely disabled, I am not getting at you, it's all the other "hangers on".

By the way, I am fat and I have disabled relatives.

H

rebel1

There could be many underlying reasons and causes why people could be overweight, everyone should exercise as much as they can, why does it have to be linked to the benefits people receive? It is discriminatory, Tory think-tank, just about sums it up,
that's why most people keep fish in a tank and not tories, although you never know. :lol:

hallii said:
I see nothing wrong in asking people to actually do something in return for state benefits.

I know of people who have become so obese that they can no longer walk, they then claim disabilty and even get a car on Motability.
Yes, they have other health problems, but every one of them is related to obesity.

The unemployed could and should do some sort of work to benefit the community.

I apologise to those who are genuinely disabled, I am not getting at you, it's all the other "hangers on".

By the way, I am fat and I have disabled relatives.

H

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I note the photographs all show morbidly obese people, yet the vast majority of those classed as obese by BMI will not look all that overweight at all... merely having a few extra pounds round their middle...

mazbee

Should they not also target people who take recreational drugs which cause their health problems?

It seems that the obese are an easy target to hit.
If a lot of the food industry changed their products to healthy alternatives every one might stand a chance of reducing some weight.
Also if supermarkets reduced prices of fresh produce and raised prices of snack and convenience foods which help pile on the weight, it would help some of us to begin to loose some weight.

With a limited amount of money to spend on food, many low wage families will go for cheap priced food, of which most is not conductive to a healthy diet.

There were very few convenience foods during the rationing years, and most people back then seemed to stay a healthy weight.

To me it seems a no win situation. :?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi. Problem is that convenience foods loaded with sugar are cheap to produce whereas healthy fresh foods aren't. I can understand why those on a tight budget may buy bad food but many of the obese people wandering around are eating badly in restaurants etc and obviously aren't on a tight budget. So, it is up to the majority of those who are obese to learn more about what they are buying and eating and choose sensibly. I sympahtise with those who have a learning disability but if you can drive a smart phone, use Facebook etc as many of these people do then you can read supermarket labels and learn more about food. In the rationing years which I can remember we had no central heating, few cars and we walked to school etc. We used a lot of energy in keeping warm, walking etc. The current recommendations for daily calorie intake are too high which results in everyone going for the wrong target food intake.

mazbee

But who is there to educate those who do not understand food values and how they work?
With most TV channels advertising inappropriate foods on adverts (don't get me going on this!).
Cookery and dining programs on several channels a day, sometimes repeated more than once!

We are the lucky ones here on this forum.
We have lots of help and advice, also support from each other.
It is easy to learn and follow others who were here before us and tried many ways to reduce their weight and diabetic complications.
They are our champions and our teachers.

But out there in society who teaches the masses about weight management and healthy food management?
Some go to weight watcher / slimming world classes, but some cannot afford to attend and just get the 5 a day message from the TV.

Programs like "embarrassing bodies" which do episodes about weight and it's many problems are put on way to late at night.

rebel1

Excellent points, Mazbee If I bought you a tomato today it would only contain 17% of Vitamin C, that a tomato would have contained 100 years ago, the reason being supermarket modern requirements.

mazbee said:
Should they not also target people who take recreational drugs which cause their health problems?

It seems that the obese are an easy target to hit.
If a lot of the food industry changed their products to healthy alternatives every one might stand a chance of reducing some weight.
Also if supermarkets reduced prices of fresh produce and raised prices of snack and convenience foods which help pile on the weight, it would help some of us to begin to loose some weight.

With a limited amount of money to spend on food, many low wage families will go for cheap priced food, of which most is not conductive to a healthy diet.

There were very few convenience foods during the rationing years, and most people back then seemed to stay a healthy weight.

To me it seems a no win situation. :?

stephiesut

Re: Council Say Exercise or Reduced Benefit - Try Engaging B

I think yet again its just hitting obese people, asthey are an easy target.

I am obese, in fact I am classed as morbidly obese, have been for years. The only time I maintained a 'normal' weight was when I was at uni, spending 6 hours a day in the gym or dance classes, and survived on a mars bar a day. Not exactly a healthy diet by anyones standard.

I think for many people who are disabled, the obesity is a symptom of the disability rather than the other way around. My husband is severely disabled, he is also overweight, He wasnt overweight before he became physically disabled, and now he cant lose weight as many of the drugs he has to take to stay alive cause weight gain, and he is on a severely limited diet due to a stomach complaint. To think people may actually look at him in his motability car or wheelchair, wheezing and struggling to breathe (he also has chest problems) and assuming it is because he is lazy and cant be bothered to eat well and exercise is actually quite upsetting.

rebel1

The state telling you, if your overweight and on benefits, if you don't do this (exercise), then you don't get some of this (benefits), that amounts to 'blackmail', that must breach your 'Human Rights' under the European Convention on Human Rights.

emeles

Oh dear, Rebel1, I thought it couldn't be long until someone raises Human Rights.
Would everyone get real and read the lines and not between them.

rebel1

Sorry, if that's the sum part of your argument, then 'Oh dear' indeed. Every thing is real, but your argument.

emeles said:
Oh dear, Rebel1, I thought it couldn't be long until someone raises Human Rights.

rebel1

rebel1 said:
If they want people to reduce their weight there are better ways of going about it, a free gym membership etc. What they are doing is adding pressure and stress to the most vulnerable in society who already have to deal with 'heating or eating'.

emeles said: