ketones keep returning

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
hi,
I keep getting constantly recurrimg ketones. I get rid of them, then it seems when l have a high blood sugar they come back- l wonder if its due to being so dehydrated and the high BS makes me even more dehydrated=ketones.
I have been low carb for 3 years with very good control but due to stress l believe everthing went wrong this year- high ketones (l didnt know even when was feeling so ill- gp told me to take a pregnancy test), have started eating some carbs as someone on here suggested so. But the high blood sugar l guess made the ketones return- last night l had a high BS of 14 (very high for me) but guess it made me even more dehydrated. In the past year l have become so insulin resistant - l was taking approximately 22 Levemir daily at the beginning of 2012, in the past couple of months is has gone up so much and is now at 50 units a day!! Exercise also makes the ketones worse... hence why l think this is all due to dehydration - which is so annoying as l just want to exercise to get my BS down. have gone into a&e 3x with mum in past month but my ketones are 0 on pee stick when they test as l have drunk so much water.
When l have ketones l constantly shake (symptom of severe dehydration) and l get really itchy badly, have had a rash spread all over my body this past year (causing me depression) and these days l seem to have constantly dry eyes.
It just seems to be a cycle l cant get out of. Any advice please!!

Dark Horse

High blood sugar (glucose) doesn't cause ketones. Both high blood glucose and ketones are caused by insufficient insulin and/or insulin resistance which is why you've noticed they occur together. (Insulin is needed for glucose to enter cells and be converted to energy. If glucose can't enter the cells due to lack of insulin, the body has to use fats as an energy source instead of glucose. Ketones are a break-down product of fat.) Exercising increases your need for energy so if you haven't got enough insulin, it will make the body use fat and so produce more ketones.

Best to go and ask for a review with your GP.

D

Deleted member 45091

Hi i can give you a little from my own experience, first of all iam greedy i love carbs, but what i have noticed i i used to get more ketones when my sugars was a normal to slightly high range when i was eating less carbs on the levimir and rapid. For example i can be around 10 11 mmol and have ketones, iam back onto my 2 injections a day and suits me fine. I can have sugars in the 20s which isnt good but never really get any ketones. Also when i was ill once my sugars was around 13 mmol i had ketones i kept giving myself couple units every hour or so, all that did was make me worse my sugars never came down, but realised i had nothing to eat as had bad stomach bug, so i sort of worked out if ya not got much food in ya body and you have insulin theres nothing for the insulin to work on hence thats what causes the ketones, i personally cannot do no or low carbs it stables me out. If i was in your position and had ketones and high sugars i would eat something slow carb and give a little extra rapid than you would normally.. but thats just me.

GlazedDoughnuts

Hmm, you had a similar thread.

Are you eating enough carbs? As said previously a low carb diet will lead to ketones being present.

Dark Horse provided you with solid advice :)

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Hi

Thanks for your replies. Im only upping my carbs due to the recurrent high ketones. For the past 3 years l low carbed with no problems at all. What concerns me is the constantly recurring high ketones, also the insulin resisnance - for my age/weight l should be on 30 a day (l was on 22) and in last few months is has risen to 50! To make matters worse since l have started eating carbs again l cant even do my trousers up lm so bloated - yesterday they did a load of blood tests at the clinic which included celiac. Im also really concerned about my continuous shaking (hot/cold), not to mention the body rash, severely dry skin, night time itchy, and severe lack of sleep.
This well and truely sucks, l once had a life!! Ahh.

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Also can you please suggest type of and amount of carbs l should be having? Does fruit, advocadoes etc count or just grains?

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football
Are you perhaps allergic to something? like a new washing detergent etc If the rash only occurs where your skin contacts your clothes as without diabetes it would fit the symptoms The allergic reaction might then make you insulin resistant..
Just guessing really as the other things you've tried dont seemed to have worked as expected?