what advice were you given on how to take a blood sample?

SilverAndEbony

I just wondered what advice and information were you given on how to take a blood sample?
I was in the ladies at work the other day, washing my hands prior to testing my blood. I looked at the soap container and thought 'what did my DN say all those years ago about washing hands?'. I'm sure she said something about types of soap, but I remember what!

Then I thought about what else I was told. Wash them before I take a sample, of course. Warm my hands under the tap if they are cold and the blood won't come out - that's a problem I get when it's cold. But, what else?

So, what advice were you given?

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
I was advised to wash my hands, to ensure that there was no sugar that could pollute the blood.

Other advice I've seen is to avoid using the thumb and forefinger because the skin is thicker on those two digits.

Regards. Tubs.

jopar

The advice I to avoid soaps that contain alcohol in them, the same goes if you decide to use a wripe...

If in doubt make sure that you rinse your hands in water only!

As for the cold hand and lack of blood, I find that massarging my finger before stabbing helps, or shaking them sometimes helps...

I have been know to stick my hand under the arm pit to warm through as well... Mind you I do try to avoid the latter when in public as it does look a bit strange...

But with saying that unless I feel that I have contaminates that might effect my readings or might cause a infection (such as muddy hands) I woll just get on and test anyway...

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
What I do is ,wash hands,set up meter,get paper towel,prick finger,the ring fingers are generally the best for a good spot of blood.Wipe off the first spot then press out the second and test that.Try and not touch the end of the strip to skin as that can affect the reading.I do use other fingers but if my hands are cold I know I will get blood from the ring fingers where I may not from the others.If you also press the ball of you thumb against the finger that you are getting the blood from that helps.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i was told to wash hands and prick side of any finger and not to squeeze the blood too much as then u can get some interstitual fluid giving a wrong reading ( this is moreso when using alternate testing sites) i then wash my hands :D

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Quite right Totsy,I apply pressure but not so much that you are actually squeezing it.

jopar

Have any of you used those flat metal lancets... the ones that you didn't have any gadgets with, you actually held it and stab ahhh

It would take me ages to get a sample finger held against the table ready for stabing and then ages pricking up the courage to follow through ahhhh

I had to use these when I first digianoised and pregnant so what testing 6-7 times a day, my fingers were so sore by the time I had my baby and they would reduce the amount of time I had to test *weep*

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I don't use the little machine for pricking,i just use the lance as my finger tips are like rhino hide anyway.

jopar

Sue

You've just made my eyes water....

I've only done it a couple of times with the lancet, when my lancet pen has broken and I hate it...

caitycakes

I was given no advice at all other than not to use fingertips as they are very sensitive. Only use the sides of the pads. No advice re soaps, washing hands, alternative sites etc :( It's all been trial and error. I haven't been testing long enough to develop tough skin (4 months) but I have gotten really good at getting the minimum required amount of blood for the test (less painful if you don't stab too hard). Got a great tip from hana re alternative site testing (forearm) and tend to use this for routine testing when I want to give my fingertips a rest. I think that my fingers are generally less sensitive now because of all the jabbing.

Caitycakes x

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Beetroot, Cucumber, Radish, Prawns - and arrogant people that have no understanding of how ill you can really be without looking ill
Advice given to me when in hospital:

Right James, lets see if you are comfortable with taking a finger prick sample - ooo well done you, your ok with that aren't you ?
(wasn't complaining cos she was just sooooooooooooooooooooo cute :oops: )

Was never advised to wash hands, was told to prick the finger and then advised I did not actually need to bother as I was not being supplied with a monitor !!!!

Now i've bought my own, on the advice of my doc, i've been to see the practise nurse who just said to me use different fingers each time to stop them getting sore and maybe rub a little cream e45 on them if they get a bit tough

Jimbo

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not advised to wash hands, and neither did they swab them in hospital before testing. I was told to avoid thumb and forefingers. More recently read to avoid alcohol wipes.
I test anywhere, in the middle of a long run or bicycle ride its not possible to wash. My biggest problem then is that because the blood is pumping quite fast it doesn't always want to stop bleeding and I end up with blood streaming down my finger.

I do find that the ends of my fingers are now less sensitive, I have problems in the supermarket opening the plastic bags, OH does it for me else I'm standing there for ages getting more and more frustrated.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Just told not to. In theory, you don't really need to eash the spot, unless it's sugary. The blood coming out should prevent infection. The booklet with my Freestyle Mini, shows how and where.

sofaraway

I don't often wash my hands before if i think they are clean, I'll wash and re-test if the result is not what I was expecting.
I only use the sides of my fingers, i prick then wait a couple of seconds before applying light pressure to get a drop to form.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
By not washing your hands any contaminant on your finger is then pushed into your skin by the lance.When you therefore press out a blood drop any contaminant will therefore be pressed out and into your test strip.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
SarahQ said:
phoenix said:
I do find that the ends of my fingers are now less sensitive, I have problems in the supermarket opening the plastic bags, OH does it for me else I'm standing there for ages getting more and more frustrated.
You should not be testing on the end of your fingers :shock:
Poke the side this solves the problem.

I think that you're probably right, I don't have any problems producing blood even with the pricker on the lowest level so I've become very careless as to where I test. (actually I don't remember being told to do it at side but I have read it since)

I wonder if the fine sensitivity would come back or whether its lost forever. I'll give it a try.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
professional advice?

NONE

Reactions: SueJB

Madge 2

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Help please! I bought a home blood testing machine complete with everything you need because Type 2 diabetes is so totally in your face out there at the moment and my diet is not the best, so I thought I'd do a test but didn't want to bother my GP practice and the NHS. I have tried 25 times to obtain a blood sample from my fingers and only once was I successful. I feel the prick and quite often I see the blood released under the skin, but nothing comes to the surface (even if I squeeze, which the instructions tell you not to do).
I watched the video and am doing everything right, warming fingers, slapping, shaking etc. to get the blood up there, but no joy.
Is there anywhere else I can obtain a sample from?