Slow Release Metformin

SWFC John

I requested (and was shocked to get) a slow release Metformin as i was not really getting on with the higher dose of the normal stuff (both are Teva branded).

Have people generally had positive feelings with the SR stuff with regard to gastric distress? I was ok on normal Metformin but the double dose i have been taking over the last 5 weeks has not been desirable if you know what i mean. However these SR ones are like horse tablets and if they dont improve the gastric distress i would rather drop back to the smaller normals ones.

Nada

I got swapped to the slow release after having a severe reaction to the normal met. My chemist has the 'horse tablets' and I was on them at first but now has moved me to 2 other brands which are smaller - I didn't ask they just change their supplier themselves so you could ask at the chemist and see if they have other brands available.

Fraddycat

I'm on the horse tablets, they don't cause me a lot a gastric distress - I find I have a lot less trouble if I take them with or directly after my meal. If I forget to take them till say 10pm I will have a bit of upset the next day. The stomach is also a lot easier when I don't drink alcohol ...

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, the Teva brand are ginormous and my chemist occasionally uses them (I did email the Teva website to complain but never got a reply!). Normally my chemist uses Glucophage SR which are a bit smaller so you might want to discuss with the chemist.

foxyccc

Hi I have been type 2 for two years and have been given Metformin. I was originally prescribed the fast release metformin which gave me very bad stomach upsets. I was changed to slow release which I found better for me. I have personally found by trial and error that my maximum metformin tolerance level is two tablets a day, one taken with breakfast and one with dinner. Any more metformin causes the stomach upsets. As the diabetic nurse felt I needed to be taking more metformin, but I couldnt tolerate any more she added in one januvia tablet to be taken with my evening meal. I seem to be able to tolerate this with the metformin. I also take glicizide. I am starting a insulin mimic injection called Bydureon next week, which I will have to inject once a week by myself. The diabetic clinic want to get my HBAiC lower than the 8.4 it is at present. I also have an illness called ME or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and I cannot exercise so it will be worth trialing this injection to see if it helps me. In my naivity I thought that I would just have the injection and no tablets, but I have been told that I have to have all the tablets except the januvia plus the injection.

I hope you get on ok with the SR metformin if not ask about the januvia.
Regards

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
My pharmacy alternates between giving me Glucophage and Metabet, I never know which one I'm going to be given. They are like horse tablets but the Metabet have a smoother finish (enteric coating?) and the Glucophage are rougher but to be honest I just throw them down my throat with a slug of whatever liquid is in my hand and haven't noticed any difference in their workings. I was lucky in that I didn't get any of the side effects associated with Metformin and my GP put me onto the SR version within a month of starting the ordinary ones because I have gastric problems anyway and I think she thought they'd cause me problems. But they didn't which amazes me when I read what happens to some other people.

I dislike taking any sort of tablet, I wish we could have Metformin skin patches. But as they're doing me good where my diabetes is concerned it's a small price to pay to choke myself on them every now and then. :lol:

SWFC John

I am definitely better with the slow release ones when it comes to discomfort and gastric distress but my blood sugar seems to be taking an age to drop back to normal which i find a little disconcerting, it is taking many hours (maybe 5 or 6 hours) after eating to get back below 6mmol/l, i am used to this happening more rapid.

SWFC John

I cant try others though, i can only have what the surgery provides. In the past i have asked for Glucophage and was told a flat no.

lavenderchild

I have been on the slow realise since I was diagnosed (12 July 2012) and I have never had a days problem with them. Here in Australia I am on the generic brand called Diabex.

Good luck and hope all goes well... :)

SWFC John

Like i said i am not having a problem with them, it is like i am not taking metformin at all which is great but my blood sugar isnt recovering fast enough.

My morning readings have gone from mid 5s to anything from 7 to 8.5 as well.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think you may be expecting too much from the Metformin ref blood sugar reduction. A full dose will only reduce your sugars by perhaps 1-2 mmol max. Diet is the major aid in BS reduction and after that other tablets depending on whether you are insulin resistant or not.

SWFC John

Daibell said:
Hi. I think you may be expecting too much from the Metformin ref blood sugar reduction. A full dose will only reduce your sugars by perhaps 1-2 mmol max. Diet is the major aid in BS reduction and after that other tablets depending on whether you are insulin resistant or not.

When i was first found out to be T2 i was getting readings of 21mmol/l and i was put on 2x 500mg of Metformin daily and it dropped to under 6mmol/l within a few days.

My diet has always just been a normal one albeit avoiding the obvious sugary stuff, this was the advice i was given and TBH my hba1c was always fine until dietary wise i went off the rails somewhat last year.

My only concern is that getting back under 8.5mmol/l within 2 hours seems difficult on slow release, the other day i had fish and peas for tea and at 2 hours i was at 9.6mmol/l but at 4 hours i was under 6mmol/l. The drug is doing its job but a lot slower (i know slow release aint called slow release for nothing) and it is the not getting back to "normal" that is playing on my mind, there seems to be massive pressure to get back under 8.5mmol/l at 2 hours or your bits will start dropping off.

I dont know if it is me that has degenerated a bit, my diet, my tablets or what, it is the first time in 6 years something has gone "wrong". I guess i need to just chill, keep calm and carry on until my next hba1c and see what's what :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi SWFC John. Good to hear that your found Metformin had a good effect at least early on. Many posters on the forum seem disappointed at the degree of result hence my post. I suspect so much depends on whether you are insulin resistant, how your liver is performing and no doubt many other things. If there is any weakness in insulin production by the pancreas then Metformin can't help much and I guess as or when diabetes progresses thru lack of insulin then Metformin loses it's value?