Poor control don't know what to do

Jonnycfc12

Hi I have been diabetic for 13 years and have never took control of my illness I'm not having eye problems but more so I have left a ten year marriage with some1 who didn't care bout my diabetes so I never gave it much thought....but now I'm with some1 who really cares and wants to help me do things right who cares.....thing is I can't get control I don't know what foods to eat when and how often and what insulin to take I don't understand much about it please can any of u help me out with tips as to how I can gain control

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya ,
can youu tell us what types of insulin you are on and we should be able to help :)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
ok, im on the same,
what is a typical day for you ,blood sugar and food wise and how much u inject?

Jonnycfc12

No breakfast most mornings wud take sandwich r soup in afternoon bout 2pm wud hacks potatoes meat and veg around 6pm and snake in crisps I take 20 with my meals r 15

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
ok, well if you have a diabetic nurse i would see her but firstly you need to find out your ratios again as they have obviously changed, i usually up my lantus by two units at a time,if not right after a week i up again, when checking my lantus i will miss a meal and see if my bloods are stable till nxt meal, i do this alternate meals for a few days until i get to be waking with my bloods around 6 or 7 staying at this level till my next meal,
i dont know if you attended dafne or learnt how to carb count but it usually goes 1unit per 10g carbs,thats what i would start out with and then check after 1hr and 2hr intervals to make sure ive the right amount, every meal time my ratio is a bit different, if my bloods high(which quite often it is 14/15 as im having highs due to pain )then i will add extra novorapid,for me 1 extra units takes my blood down approx 4mmol, it is all trial and error but if you genuinely want to change you can,and i imagine your new partner wants you fully limbed and able to see for as long as possible, i also try to eat 4 meals a day and was on hardly any carbs but now have them some meals,
for eg, i now inject 16lantus am, have porridge for breakfast which i inject 3units novo,lunch is usually a small brown sandwich and yoghurt, my ratio is different on a dinner so i inject 3 units,tea time can be salad and fish or salad and burgers,sunday roast or stew etc which i inject between 1/3 units ,supper is rice crispies where i inject 4 units,
sorry if ive rambled but hope i helped a bit...feel free to ask anything else and remember we are all different and its only by keep testing that we can find our own levels :)

Jonnycfc12

That has helped a lot thank u so much I normally take my lantus at night like 30 and I take novo 1st thing in the morning I don't know if that's good r not lol I wasn't aware u can take it on the am

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
ive always taken my lantus am, i do know some take pm and some do a split dose :)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
how low and how nr your meal ?
if hypo,sort hypo first, then i would eat and inject after meal, if not hypo and u feel ok have tea then check blood if ok inject after as usual ,if still low dont inject quite as much?

Jonnycfc12

I inject b4 meals not after....I was 8.4 bout hour b4 my tea and felt lie so I injected 16units of novo rapid and I ate 4 grilled sausages mixed veg and bout 3 potatoes

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
8.4 mmol isnt low at all :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Jonny, you would benefit enormously from the DAFNE course totsy mentioned earlier, ask your diabetes team if they run the course in your area or a carb counting course similar to DAFNE.

There's an on-line carb counting course which many of us have found useful, you do need to register first so here is the link:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Try and contact your diabetes care team and arrange to meet up with them to ask for guidance, they will advise you on insulin adjustments and timings etc, pleased you've found someone who cares and that you want to gain control of your diabetes :thumbup:

Sara Renshaw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. Just been reading your comments. I'm a lazy type one diabetic. Just starting to get on top of it now.
I can appreciate that you are feeling low @ 8.4, this is because it is low for you. I used to be the same. Trick is to test when you have the low feeling-but then don't have anything corrective unless you are really low. Then keep testing.
You need your body to recalibrate - so that it realises that 8.4 is a normal range. I know it is tough. But you need to stick with it.
Also another good tip. A small carton (lunch box size) of orange juice is much better than coke. Or even get glucose jel on prescription. You wouldn't get the headache afterwards that coke can give. Also the quantity of OJ or jel is better matched to your needs.
Hope that helps.
Having support at home has certainly helped me, although I still have a way to go to get my HBA1C readings to a better level.
:eek:)

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello Jonny. You really need to learn how to count carbs properly and how adjust insulin dose. Its not difficult and will make your life much easier. I was diagnosed 2 years ago and first month i spent reading as much as possible about carb counting. Thats the only way to control diabetes. you simply need to know what you are eating. There are many information online on this subject. Good luck!