Do T2's need to test frequently long-term?

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals.Bullies,Soaps.
I will stop testing for now,as I have found my equilibrium.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Hmmm .. an equilibrium is easily upset and a random daily test will warn you when the 'scales' are tipping towards the heavy side.

Patty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been type 2 for 9 years. I was tested with the meter once only and told it was unecessary for me to have one. (May have been because I passed out when she did it, continuing needle phobia). Nevertheless I have been doing fine. Know what to eat and what not to etc.

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals.Bullies,Soaps.
Still 7.1 after breakfast.

toby1973

Dislikes
Violence and racism
My DSN told me that T2's have more flexability in regards to testing their blood glucose levels, but any T2's who are also on insulin should then test their BG at l,east 4 times per day:

Before Breakfast

Before Lunch

Before Evening Meal

Before Bed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Leaving aside the issue where the NHS mostly think that Type 2's don't need to test at all, I follow this procedure.

I certainly test more often than is necessary but that is only twice a day, before my main meal and two hours after my main meal.

The reason I say that this is more than is necessary is that I spent about six months doing my research on meals and I know which one does what to a fairly accurate extent.

The reason I continue to test is that I find that getting an average is useful and gives me a rough guide to what my Hba1c will be. If I only tested when a troublesome meal was eaten then my average would be artificially high.

I also have a feeling that if I don't test then I don't really know for sure what is going on and that's how I felt when I was first diagnosed and told to eat "healthily" and then left to get on with it. That's not a nice feeling.

bigbenn

Hi,
When my Diabetes was not under control, I used to test with the thing which pricks your finger to get a droplet of blood....and I hated it. I rarely seemed to get a big enough droplet of blood and I used to be scared of the reading the tester gave - I felt like I was playing Russian Roulette each time I did it.

I decided to surf the internet and try and find out if I could recover from Type 2 Diabetes. Once you get Diabetes, you have it for life, but , I discovered, with a sensible diet and exercise it was possible to lower the blood sugar readings back to normal - less than 7.0 and for the last 2 years I have been 6.1, my organs which were failing have regenerated, I stopped using the above testing equipment and now I rely on the tests which my doctor arranges every 3 months - a requirement to ensure my Drivers License is renewed each year, for another year - I'm 66 and I want to live out my remaining life without the complications of Diabetes, if I can.

I won't put my diet here, because it has caused some friction in the past, however, you might find this link of interest and I suggest you read the blurb on it, especially the last paragraph and follow the links there, to discover an eating regime which will help you control your Diabetes, as I have done: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046739.php

If you want my diet send me an e-mail to [email protected]

BigBenn

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I test pretty much every day. Generally once moree if I feel I have a cause to. I do keep tabs on what I'm eating all the time too.
I pay for my own strips, because I feel it's the only way I can keep control at the targets I set for myself. the usual NHS targets are much higher than my own. I want to be SAFE
Hana

johnipswich

I started testing 3 times a day when diagnosed ad on metformin only. Now on insulin and drive for a living I ave to test 4 - 6 times a day.

stephiesut

I honestly believe it depends on how well managed your diabetes is. I come from a long line of diabetics and most no longer test. My mum maintains a hba1c of about 6, and so she never tests. She doesnt need to, her diabetes is really well managed. Mine is very badly managed (not through lack of trying) so I test regularly, as does my husband, but he has other medical problems so thats why he has to test so much. Long term, if I can get to a healthy level and seem to maintain it, I wont test as much as I do now, probably just the 1-2 times a week or if I dont feel right.

But of course everyone is different. I dont think there are any hard and fast rules, though NHS funding would argue against that lol!

tiamaria13354

Type of diabetes
Type 2
lucylocket61 said:
I have noticed a prevailing attitude that T2's dont need to test more than occasionally.

After the initial 3 months of frequent testing to find out what spikes us, there seems to be an unwritten rule that testing is no longer necessary.

I find this belief amongst HCP's and a number of T1's and some T2's on here. Whenever anyone says they need strips, the answer is that they dont because they are T2's.

Please can someone clarify this for me? :crazy:

My own thinking is that it is logical to continue to test so i keep the control I have found, and also identify other things, apart from diet, which influence me. It also will help me to quickly see if my diabetes is progressing, rather than waiting for my annual HbA1c.

Also, I dont eat the same things all the time, in the same amount and at the same time, so I can just test once for a meal, then never test again.

What does everyone think?
.....im the same, i was newly diagnosed in June 2012 and had 4 test done to tell me im T2, he sed i don't need a machine to test, i suggested i bought a machine but he sed he wouldn't prescribe the strips because there's no need. im on diet and metformin. HOW can one test a year be enough

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been diagnosed over five years and had a meter for about four and a half years. I test my fasting levels on a daily basis, so I know where I am and if I've let things slip. Every couple of months I do a day of intensive testing, so I can see before and two hours after meal levels. My weekday diet doesn't change much so this is enough information for me.

I don't think an annual HbA1c is enough (mine is booked for the end of January and includes Christmas :( ). I tried to book a mid year one and was told no, as there was no clinical need.

The NICE Type 2 guidelines http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/1 ... /40803.pdf have a section on testing between pages 47 - 51 and from what I have read and take to mean, says that people who test have a lower HbA1c. They also say that well the controlled should have a HbA1c every six months.

I do get strips on prescription (with the advice to test once or twice a week) so order 150 per year (although as I am on gliclazide, I should test before I drive). The rest I fund myself as I want to do this for my own piece of mind. I keep spreadsheets (and charts), so I know how I am doing in relation to the last month, three months, year, all time and since I started taking gliclazide.

I suppose my question would be - what do you call frequently? I test more frequently than my GP recommends - i.e. at least once a day. Do I test on a daily basis before and after I eat - no, I only do that every few months for a day.

I wouldn't be without my meter, it is a tool to keep me on the right track.