Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All.

Am wondering what positive things we can/have learned or achieved through having
a Diabetes condition .

One thing from myself is - since D-Day [Diagnosed Day]
It has made me value my own health and sense of well being much much more .
Quality of life is much more appreciated too .

I have recently been thinking had I never had this - would I have the paid the same attention
to my own health and well being as soon or with the same focus or made the same active effort
to appreciate or change things as much or even sooner ?

I am - in a strange way 'grateful' I ended up with Diabetes as I was quite cocky and unappreciative
of many things in life ...

Good example of this was when younger - :
Always being tiny in frame and often skipped meals - ate chocolate instead of proper food!
Well remember my school chums heading for the chip shop at lunch times and I would always
head for the local newsagents for the chocolate !
[thinking I was healthier than them - having a mars bar instead of chips]
Thought as I was always tiny - I could just do as I liked ...

D-Day was the kick and shake up - I needed .
Grown up fast since then 3 years ago .
After finding this forum and its wonderful support and amazing members here.
I learned fast through many mistake's made as I tackled a new routine, low carb meal plans, new
happier active lifestyle plus insulin therapy and successful self management of my diabetes condition.
Have turned my how I was living life routine and structure around .
Its all so much for the better now :thumbup:

Anna.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unusual, someone asking for positives, still here we go.

I understand so much more now about the food I am eating. I am a type 2 and so can only control my condition by what I push into my face. I never realised the damage I was doing before I got a meter.

Being one of those people who other people seek favours of I find diabetes a boon. I used to run around a bit for people because they learned that I found it difficult to say no if I didn't have a really good reason for saying no. Now they are vaguely aware that I am "ill" (not really) and if they don't realise it I bring the subject up.

Some of the alternative meals are great and now wouldn't miss them since I chose them.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm much healthier (except for actually having diabetes) with diabetes. Drink less, exercise more.

I also understand my body a lot more than a non diabetic.

Good positive topic!

Kerry-Michelle

Hi,

I've only been diagnosed for 8months now and I have learnt a hell of alot,

For starters i am only 20 and if is wasn't for a car accident I was involved in I would have probably gone another two years without being diagnosed. (my doctors diagnosed me with symptoms of anemia when I was 17, when I was 20, I was diagnosed with type 1 with exactly the same symptoms I was Having for over 2 years)

Sometimes I think to my self "I wish I wasnt involved in that accident" but then I realise that if I didn't how much longer would I have lived?

I also understand that being skinny and looking like those girls on tele and in magazines is just worse for you as when I dropped loads of weight I thought I felt good when I really wasn't well...

I understand my body more and what my body needs and doesn't need also the amount of bad things there are in foods and what chemicals I was putting into my body before which I no longer do...

I guess what im trying to say is My diabetes has opened up My eyes more to the way this world is and what is good and bad.. And I am happy to say I am proud that I've got diabetes as I can control my life more and the intake of food better than a person who hasn't..

That's my opinion :)

Kerry xx

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yup, I take a lot more care now with what I eat. My wife and I read the labels in the supermarkets and avoid more of the junk now. We both eat less and also lower carb which helps with weight gain. I realise more than ever that an NHS GP can be none other than a generalist (they are what it says on the tin) so I don't regard my GP necessarily as the expert good GP though they may be. I listen, research wherever I can and come to a considered view. I now take this approach with all my ailments. I also excercise more diligently as I know there is a good reason to so my physiche is better than it would be otherwise

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
++ for topic!!

Got great friends from here!!!

Positively more careful over my health.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Me too - I have made some very good friends thanks to this forum.

I also learned how to look after my diabetes as I didn't get any help from my Doctor.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Surprisingly quite a few:

Regular check-ups where bp, cholesterol, feet and eyes are checked.

Conscious of the food I eat so make sure what I do eat is as healthy as can be, without diabetes who knows what my diet would be and where it may lead to.

A keener interest in staying fit and healthy to ward off future complications, exercise has become part of my daily life and feel better for it, without diabetes I don't think I would push myself and make the effort.

Lastly and much like everyone else has said........made some great friends along the way both in the HCP's who look after me and with people here on this forum :thumbup:

TT17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A better understanding of diabetes. Losing a lot of weight. Realising how much rubbish school kids eat after school and thankful I don't. Showing people my pump and them still having no clue what it does but don't ask

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it hadn't been for being diagnosed with Type 2, I probably never would have found out about my Vitamin D deficiency - fixing that, plus changes to diet and exercise, have made the most positive change for the better in my health - I feel better now than I have done in years.

Also, at least with diabetes I felt like I could do something to improve my health, while my other diagnosis (pulmonary fibrosis) I can't do anything to change. Life and my moods are a lot more positive these days. I sometimes think diabetes was the best thing to ever happen to me - umn, well maybe I won't go that far :mrgreen:

annew

As others have said, in the process of taking control of my diabetes have lost loads of weight and feel better, more energetic and generally better than I've done for years. Am lucky that I've been able to treat myself to new clothes and can now wear heels on my shoes instead of always wearing flatties :D . Also have realised that I also have a new slimmer line husband - although not following the same strict LCHF diet as me, he isn't diabetic so doesn't need to, but he has cut back on the carbs and portion sizes generally and is getting great results. Life is pretty good, feel very lucky.
Anne

Spirit of Eden

The best has got to be that as a family we are now much more aware of what and how much we eat. Our collective diet has changed dramatically over the past few years.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Another positive I have recognised is the free education help available in some areas .

I am attending an X-pert Diabetes Course [6weekly courses]
Held at a lovely garden/conference centre with availabilty to take a carer,family/friend member
with you .

Am hoping to learn loads and meet other diabetics in person too :thumbup:
This will be lovely as I hardly ever meet or see others often...

Anna.

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
I feel 100 per cent better than I did this time last year!

I weigh less

My cholesterol has lowered.

My HbA1c has lowered since diagnosis.

I have learned a new way of eating.

I exercise more.

:D

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anna,

Sounds good,

I am sure you will gain a lot and pass some great information along the way.

Enjoy your time on the coarse as I know you will.

( Don't forget to take your snow skis ,sorry I thought you meant Xscape )

Roy. :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
izzzi said:
Anna,

Sounds good,

I am sure you will gain a lot and pass some great information along the way.

Enjoy your time on the coarse as I know you will.

( Don't forget to take your snow skis ,sorry I thought you meant Xscape )

Roy. :)
Thanks roy :)

I will get there by hook or by crook or by ski's :lolno:
Given the weather forcasted...
Will update all on how the course goes .

Anna.

robertwt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Rudeness, bad driving, incautious use of English
Oh it's good to read a positive thread.

I agree with the availability of tests. Like (most of us) I get my chloresterol checked, feet and eyes examined, meds at a reduced rate (it's not the NHS here in Ireland) and put up with being told that I need to lose just a little bit more weight.

Well done fellow travellers.

and thanks ...

:clap:

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I really like this topic. There are many positive sides and we should always remember that. Im more active, eat healthy, appreciate life and everything what it brings. Im constantly searching for new experiences and i dont think i would be that active without diabetes. Ive done many amazing things after my diagnosis and diabetes played a big part in it. Im close to say im happy to have diabetes :lol:

Davyb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed, type 2, fifteen years ago, my mother was similarly diagnosed 12 years earlier and became Insulin dependent after 16 years. So I knew quite a bit before I was diagnosed. I ended up being her full time carer for her last ten years. I am still only on tablets and taking great care to stay that way.

The few advantages are better and more regular health checks, better education and awareness of ones health, provided one takes in interest. Some people don't, but that would be very foolish.

And finally, somethings no one else has yet mentioned, FREE Prescriptions and eyesight tests.

A big disadvantage is the time it took DVLA Medical to process an upgrade to my driving licence (5 months) (adding cat C and D provisional status)

David

Sent from my GT-S5830i using DCUK Forum mobile app

sooliz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Health checks galore, much more awareness of diet/healthy eating (gained through this forum and my own research, not from GP/DN). Tests from initial diagnosis also found another health condition I was previously unaware I had and can now manage through diet. And.......FREE PRESCRIPTIONS! (very useful and appreciated as I also have to take three other medications).